• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Linux Servers

You're welcome to install some crazy server flavour of Windows on your hardware, see how it performs, and compare that to how Wine performs. Don't forget to tell us the numbers.

I not see the advantage of using an emulator to use a different system especially for game servers that requires a lot of resources,"Wine" is not made for gaming at the base,more for software,but its i do not think linux administrators like me to agree to pass on this system, everyone will tell you there is a real gain in performance and stability on Linux systems, we are still waiting linux binaries,we never change for windows especially for game servers.

Upvote 0
Yep i will go back to linux when they are out its just for other work reasons the server I have got needs to be linux based.

We just got hold of it tonight and the wholesaler is now installing the software.

I'll let you know how it performs in a day or so.

We are basically going to through all the server resources into the one VPS apparently.

Upvote 0
I not see the advantage of using an emulator to use a different system especially for game servers that requires a lot of resources,"Wine" is not made for gaming at the base,more for software,but its i do not think linux administrators like me to agree to pass on this system, everyone will tell you there is a real gain in performance and stability on Linux systems, we are still waiting linux binaries,we never change for windows especially for game servers.

Yup. I've ran less resource hungry servers through wine before and I ran into all manner of annoying issues. I dread to think what would happen with something as resource-hungry as this.

In other news: Still no news. Awesome! :/

Upvote 0
My linux with windows VPS experiment failed.
Got it running smoothly up to 35 people and then pings were through the roof.

My set up is only a partial clan backed thing, but i would imagine a lot of clans would run linux boxes and would be staying out of this game until the linus issue is resolved.

Clans kept RO1 going for as long as it did and will drag this one along I reckon.

Mighty strange behaviour to remain so silent on the issue but i guess they have other priorities like ranking and sound issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think dev have actually a lot of work for update game and SDK and the Linux server binaries are probably not their priority today.

Like a lot of clans, we have only Linux servers and don't want Windows server for any reason ;)

So we are waiting for these binaries.

Till release the linux binaries, we can't considering opening any competitive RO2 team in our clan ( for training, tactics, etc ... )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My linux with windows VPS experiment failed.
Got it running smoothly up to 35 people and then pings were through the roof.

My set up is only a partial clan backed thing, but i would imagine a lot of clans would run linux boxes and would be staying out of this game until the linus issue is resolved.

Clans kept RO1 going for as long as it did and will drag this one along I reckon.

Mighty strange behaviour to remain so silent on the issue but i guess they have other priorities like ranking and sound issues.

If you don't mind me asking, what specs are you running for your physical server and what resources did you devote to the Windows VM? :)

Upvote 0