• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Linux Servers

(For those that dont know)

To use wine you need to download the hldsupdatetool.exe and use that to get the "redorchestra2" files in the game list. This is because the linux ./steam wont download them for whatever reason even tho they are visible. Once they are downloaded cd to /yourhldsfolder/yourredorch2folder/, type [wine cmd.exe]. The cmd prompt will pop up after this then enter: ro2server.bat. Will boot everything up in wine.

The game runs etc, but performance is still to be tested. Not had my server at capacity yet, but appears to be stable and more than capable so far.

Upvote 0
srcds_l would download the beta version. it just does not like the full game. valve probably figured out that it is a windows thing and thus should not download on linux.
(and you first gotta install hlds.exe/srcds_w on windows and then copy the exe from the install folder onto your linux box, unless you're lunatic enough to use X and stuff on a server of course. for some dumb reason it's a graphical installer.)

Upvote 0
Look Tripwire obviously is getting a kickback from the hosting companies, so why would they release linux files? If they can get a commission for every server, why give it out free. I'd expect six months or more til we get Linux servers, of course, by then, they'll be mods that will be a lot better and probably will bundle their own linux binaries, so I'll wait for that.

Upvote 0
Look Tripwire obviously is getting a kickback from the hosting companies, so why would they release linux files? If they can get a commission for every server, why give it out free. I'd expect six months or more til we get Linux servers, of course, by then, they'll be mods that will be a lot better and probably will bundle their own linux binaries, so I'll wait for that.

Eh? They're already giving out the server for free in regards to windows binaries.

Upvote 0
Does running the game through wine or some other bit of wizardry massively impact the performance.

I am just about the put on a dedicated server with what TWI says is 64 player spec, and it will be running linux.

My sever tech is confident he can get two 64 players servers running sweet. Excuse my lack of knowledge but VPS was mentioned in the conversations and not wine and something about dedicating all server resources to the game servers.

Not wanting to second guess my tech, but what are your thoughts ?

Upvote 0
Does running the game through wine or some other bit of wizardry massively impact the performance.

I am just about the put on a dedicated server with what TWI says is 64 player spec, and it will be running linux.

My sever tech is confident he can get two 64 players servers running sweet. Excuse my lack of knowledge but VPS was mentioned in the conversations and not wine and something about dedicating all server resources to the game servers.

Not wanting to second guess my tech, but what are your thoughts ?

If I understand correctly from previous posters that Wine uses a substantial amount of CPU and RAM resources. So maybe if you have a six core server and 8+ RAM server you would be good to go, otherwise why not just use linux binaries? Keep in mind most people run a few servers on a "box".

Upvote 0
Hello
I have a server run with wine perfectly on a Core i5 @2.8 Grhz and 16 Go ram
i was run a 48 slot server but we like 32 slot with my teams
see my top :

top - 18:09:49 up 1 day, 16:29, 2 users, load average: 1.35, 1.23, 1.23
Tasks: 29 total, 1 running, 28 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu0 : 30.8%us, 68.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 1.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu1 : 36.3%us, 63.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu2 : 43.5%us, 5.0%sy, 2.3%ni, 49.2%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu3 : 45.5%us, 4.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 48.5%id, 0.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 16621340k total, 10087520k used, 6533820k free, 191864k buffers
Swap: 523260k total, 0k used, 523260k free, 8834284k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
15010 multitea 20 0 1746m 457m 10m S 72 2.8 151:09.41 rogame.exe
1995 multitea 30 10 10196 7540 676 S 5 0.0 21:36.77 wineserver

i make this top with 32 player on my server and i have another cod2 & shattered horizon server run with no peopole
The server run perfectly with no lag and no crash like a real windows server

If you want help for making a wine server PM me

ps : sorry for my bad english

Upvote 0