• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Key to Kills is tweaking

NO YOU MAY NOT!!! NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME LIKE A CIVILIZED ADULT!!!

I hope Apex does mod I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Maybe he might get rid of all the unfair buildings and cover or add lights to all dark rooms (I mean how dare people hide it's not fair), get rid of prone, crouch so that everyone is in the open and on a "equal playing field".
You know just for competitive reasons.

Oh, and let's not forget giving the other team neon-orange custom skins and displaying the hitboxes on the character models. You know, just for competitive reasons.

Reactions: DeviantChild
Upvote 0
What do you guys think about my idea for a pro mod for RO2 with the following feature

[url]http://i.imgur.com/IaNJh.jpg[/URL]

fund it.

For all the haters:
Customizing your game != cheating.

Use your fancy graphics in competitive play if you want to, I'll use my special low setup so I can see you easier. :)

Welcome to PC gaming, we enjoy our freedoms.

Upvote 0
fund it.

For all the haters:
Customizing your game != cheating.

Use your fancy graphics in competitive play if you want to, I'll use my special low setup so I can see you easier. :)

Welcome to PC gaming, we enjoy our freedoms.

For all the haters:
Performance enhancing drugs != cheating.

You guys use your training regimens and weight lifting if you want to. I'll use my special drugs so I can bulk up easier. :)

Welcome to competitive sports. We enjoy our freedoms.

Upvote 0
For all the haters:

You guys use your training regimens and weight lifting if you want to. I'll use my special drugs so I can bulk up easier. :)

Angry sports argument. Almost got me, but sorry it doesn't pan out entirely.

It's still a matter of customization, which Tripwire gave us freedom of.

Like I said, though, valiant effort. I almost developed a tear.

Upvote 0
I think people are using the word 'competitive' in highly broad sense.

Being competitive isn't bad. If anything, games like RO2 is designed to be competitive as much as it asks you to work together, because you know, there being the whole another team you have to kill and beat to win deal.

The problem is being bad sports about it. Like when you are rude and use means that are outside the scope of what is normally conceived to within the parameters of the rules (obvious example would be hacks). If you did not play this game with any sense of competition, we would just run around aimlessly; who cares about winning the objective? If my opponents didn't even try to win I doubt I would even bother playing against such players. But being asschat about winning and not playing with fair rules is probably worse as well.

Play competitive, and be a good sports about it. That's the best way imo.

As far as tweaking goes, I have my gamma at 2.6 (default was 2.2?), turned off depth of field because EVERYTHING, including the center vision where my focus is suppose to be, was blurry, and don't have super extra visuals like light shaft for mix of frame and visual issues. Otherwise, shadow on high with everything else on ultra.

I just want a clean and smooth 2011 gaming experience.

To those who want games without any customization and just preset configs, have you seen what happened with Crysis 2? Pretty much everyone slammed that game for being a console port and one of major reason was that configurations were locked into 3 preset levels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you guys think about my idea for a pro mod for RO2 with the following feature

http://i.imgur.com/IaNJh.jpg

you sir are clearly an idiot, and have no clue on what competitive gaming is, as most of these daddy gamers. just taking the time edit that pic shows how much you and all these other daddy gamers are burning.. there is cream for that ya know..

tweaking isn't cheating, learn to deal with it, you're all acting like 12 year old girls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
turn off shadows
turn off blur
just about turn off everything

so you can see

if winning and kills is the point
then tweaking is a most

Turning off blur and bloom I can understand as they suck balls in everygame, but shadows, just to get maybe one or two more kills by ruining game immersion, no thanks. Still getting kills just fine running most options in ultra, no need "cheat".

Upvote 0
For all the haters:

Analogy doesn't work.

PBbans is like a urine sample. It'll catch folks who are doping, but not cyclists who shave their legs to achieve lesser wind-resistance, boxers who don't take on liquids before a weigh-in to get into a lower weight category, or athletes who train at high altitudes. Neither is it meant to.

Upvote 0
About cheating metaphor, I also remember DICE prevented game's fov can't be adjusted beyond certain level, maybe, no shadow option or extreme fov alteration should be barred from adjusting by default.

I am also against taking too extreme measures that almost touches the realm of cheating. (i.e. fov over 100/ no shadow)

Yet, I got different opinion about all the post process film trick effects.

Let's be honest, in real life does motion blur effect happens everytime you turn your head? Does bloom and so much distortion, depth of field effect really happen that much heavily to the state it almost blur... your vision of object moving about +130m away?
I don't think so, unless under very poor weather condition like fog, or night time.

I off most film tricky effects 'cos they are not real, they are artificial visual enhance technique to beautify the visual, and lots of them causes unintended hick ups or delay in gameplay, so I get to do worse than my actual skills.

Maybe dev should have focussed on realistic weather effects like dust blown by wind that almost covers up the battlefield or poor lighting condition or fog, that would have made more realistic battleground and that would sure to turn off some arcady new crowds though. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DoF is just addition to impress people.. not new technology, and its a waste, as its a huge FPS sucker and not even realistic, bloom is overdone, IN EVERY GAME.

and @palco, i can easily see somebody 100m away, hell even 300m away in real life, seeing 50m away in this game on default is quite hard.. if anything, my after tweaks look more realistic than default.. i go outside and everything is clear and visibile, not everything is dark... hell i even look into a window and can see right inside... idk why people are saying its realistic to not be able to see inside when outside... clearly they have never been outside to test that theory..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well...

I've enjoyed our friendly discussion, Icey and Lightsaber, but this thread has attracted the petty back and forth bickering that got the other closed so I'm on to other things. If you'd like to continue the discussion I'd be happy to do so via PMs, but I'm leaving this before it gets truly out of hand again.

P.S. This is why we can't have nice things!

I fully agree,

I don't even feel like responding on the topic anymore because there are so many people here that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
So many people that seem to act on their feelings before actually informing themselves on rational facts.

Whether you agree or not, the following statements apply to this topic:
- It is not about cheating, if everyone has the same advantage it defies the definition of cheating.
- It is not for use in public.
- It does not define competitive play.
- It is not so you can become more "pro" or to gain extra kills, <-- this here is NOT the point. If you think it is, you have no clue what the topic is about.

Upvote 0
- It is not about cheating, if everyone has the same advantage it defies the definition of cheating.

Actually it doesn't. If my computer can run game fine with eye candy, turning it off just to get an edge is cheating.

- It is not so you can become more "pro" or to gain extra kills, <-- this here is NOT the point. If you think it is, you have no clue what the topic is about.

Read threads topic and first post again mate and it's quite clear what it is about.

But you go ahead and tweak all you want, I don't need to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i can easily see somebody 100m away, hell even 300m away in real life, seeing 50m away in this game on default is quite hard.. if anything, my after tweaks look more realistic than default.. i go outside and everything is clear and visibile, not everything is dark... hell i even look into a window and can see right inside... idk why people are saying its realistic to not be able to see inside when outside... clearly they have never been outside to test that theory..

Well, as person who has a military training some what contains of observing and spoting targets, I can surely tell you that Yes you can see targets up to 300m clearly but that when the background distingush from the siluete alot, i.e civilian standing on a street.

But try to spot on a non urban territori a soldier whos uniform is made to blend more than white shirts and blue jeans. 100m quite easy when he stands on open, 300m for a naked eye it is already a challenge. In this game 100m is no probelem to spot, 300m is exactly how it should be, a challenge.

Clearly you go outside of your home only when sun is behind the clouds, it is when the sun is not bright enaugh to block your sight to indoors. On poor lighting contition it is easier to see into buildings.

Personaly I haven't find it difficult to see into the windows and spot the enemies there in the game

Upvote 0
Analogy doesn't work.

PBbans is like a urine sample. It'll catch folks who are doping, but not cyclists who shave their legs to achieve lesser wind-resistance, boxers who don't take on liquids before a weigh-in to get into a lower weight category, or athletes who train at high altitudes. Neither is it meant to.

I would say it does. This isn't a minor reduction in drag while swimming or biking, or training in a thinner atmosphere to improve your lung capacity. This is directly altering yourself to better accomplish what you're trying to do. It doesn't make you directly better at the game. You won't become more accurate, or a better player just because you turn your settings off. But you will have an -edge- on the other players.

Steroids won't make you a better player. They won't teach you how to catch or throw or run faster or jump higher. They just give you an -edge- on your opponents. The ability to bulk up faster and retain more muscle mass than you normally would.

In the FPS world, you have aimbots, which automatically aim your gun at the enemy. In real life, an equivalent would be something that allowed you to always throw a catch-able pass to the correct receiver regardless of circumstances. Something that -directly- improves your skills. Steroids don't do anything like this, merely give you an edge, yet they are unequivocally considered cheating by the sports community. This isn't aimbotting, or speed hacking, but it is a despicable tactic designed to give players an unfair edge. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "well, if other players want to stay competitive they should use steroids too," but the point is that they shouldn't have to. If we're playing a fair game (and clan matches are nothing if not supposed to be fair competitions), then using these little performance enhancers is tipping the scales in your favor, just like altering your body chemistry to retain more muscle mass. It isn't a guarantee to win, but it does give you an unfair edge over players who chose to abstain from altering their game to stay "competitive".

Upvote 0
then using these little performance enhancers is tipping the scales in your favor, just like altering your body chemistry to retain more muscle mass. It isn't a guarantee to win, but it does give you an unfair edge over players who chose to abstain from altering their game to stay "competitive".

regarding that, every player in the ladder im running is running the same settings as me, so really, there is no unfair edge, as we all have the same visibility.. which is what all these daddy gamers don't seem to understand, the guys competing in the ladder im doing was thankfull for such a thing, so i thought id share it with EVERYONE, and got whinged at... i actually thought people would like such a thing. i know some people wouldn't like it.. but just because they don't and won't use it, doesn't make it cheating, they just choose to play with a disadvantage.

The options are in the game, so players have every right to change them to what they feel comfortable with, tbh default made my eyes sore, i had to squint to see an enemy and it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, now that i can actually see, im enjoying the game, its not really giving me an advantage, i still kill and capture objectives as much as i did before, it just makes the game more enjoyable.

people need to realize, in real competition ladders, not these friendly ones that some sites host (except ROLadders), visibility in a game is everything, otherwise the game won't take off, and everyone will go back to the same old crappy cod/cs type games, thats what its like over here in AU, hence why i made such a config, so the game can live competitively here.

yes there are some here that are friendly, but the site im on, is an e-sport site, so such things have to be done because players are that picky, and as i've mentioned countless times, i don't use the config in public servers, as i respect people that are playing for the experience and the atmosphere. (i only turn off stuff like bloom and motion blur for pub, the rest is default)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually it doesn't. If my computer can run game fine with eye candy, turning it off just to get an edge is cheating.

Read threads topic and first post again mate and it's quite clear what it is about.

But you go ahead and tweak all you want, I don't need to.

I never said I tweak my graphics, I'm currently running it unmodified and I have no interest in changing it.
You tell me that I should read the thread, while I read not only the thread but also every reply thus far, which leads me to conclude that you haven't.
Because you missed the part where he said he only uses it if everyone else in a competition would, cheating is out of the question as it's completely irrelevant.

You are the exact example of what I was trying to explain in my previous post. You come to this thread, and you would rather win the argument than say something which actually helps the discussion forward. You just scream "cheating! Unfair edge over others" like most others here. So go ahead and argument some more on how you think I'm wrong but your opinion won't be any less uninformed than your reply was.

Reactions: Apex.
Upvote 0