• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Key to Kills is tweaking

but it will be more random cause of all the darkness everywhere, eliminating the dark spots makes it more competitive.

What utter nonsense!! If people can conceal themselves you suggest the game is more random and less competitive? You couldn't be more wrong.

Play with the gfx as they should be and you have a proper challenge. All you want is lasertag and this isn't it!

The challenge is in not exposing yourself to enemy fire that may or may not be there, you don't know because you can't see, unless you're a cheat :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: DeviantChild
Upvote 0
Seems to me that you're just trying really hard to create controversy and arguments, yet I can't quite understand why.
Its fun to laugh about people that dont want me to make my monitor brighter than theirs? :confused:

Probably they sit in front of word too and ruin their eys because their monitor is too dark.
But thats realistic in 1942 they had typ writers and couldnt turn the gamma up right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its as simple as this:
This is a realistic game.

Is having some kind of futuristic eye implants that let you see where there is total darkness realistic?

Also:

If others are playing the game the way it is meant to be played (i.e. realistic, see above) and you arent, that isnt really fair play, so it is cheating.

These threads were full of cheaters trying to defend themselves by throwing insults at people who play fair. It's just shameful.:(

Reactions: DeviantChild
Upvote 0
@ Das_Bose

explain to me how using settings TW provided us is cheating?

let me point something out to people that think my config is cheating... this is the stuff TW said we was getting in the game

- RO TV 2.0 – a fully featured spectator mode (1st, 3rd and freecam) for broadcasting and moviemaking
- SDK – full Software Development Kit and mapping tool out of the box
- Demo Recording – fully supported, to allow for immediate inclusion in tournaments, LANs etc
- LAN Support – the game is LAN friendly and features LAN specific functionality. TWI also plan to sponsor LANs financially for HoS
- Custom Server Configs – Server configs are fully customizable, so rulesets areeasily created for organizations like ESL, Clanbase, eSports Portal, etc.
- Fully Modifiable Gameplay – A host of variables controllable server side with abespoke server tool, to ensure balanced and fair play. This includes weapons,classes, game types, gameplay elements and scoring elements – back to the goodold days!
- Client Optimization – Your own preferences are fully adjustable, including full key bind, HUD configuration etc
- 10 Maps on release – 64 player maps which can scale down for smaller team counts i.e. 5v5, 8v8 etc.
- Teamwork Based – Team play is integral to winning!
- 3 Gameplay Modes – Including Territory, Countdown and Firefight…
- Squad Leaders – Spawn on your SL just like Battlefield…
now

- Client Optimization – Your own preferences are fully adjustable, including full key bind, HUD configuration etc

^ key words, fully adjustable, which means settings in game, and in config files..

my config is not cheating, its well in the rules of what tripwire allow, as they wouldn't have added the options if we couldn't use them, also most games gamma goes well above 5, RO2's limit is 5.

anybody that says or thinks its cheating, is kidding themselves, and are just saying it to cause trouble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What utter nonsense!! If people can conceal themselves you suggest the game is more random and less competitive? You couldn't be more wrong.

Play with the gfx as they should be and you have a proper challenge. All you want is lasertag and this isn't it!

The challenge is in not exposing yourself to enemy fire that may or may not be there, you don't know because you can't see, unless you're a cheat :rolleyes:
Yep they want the Paintball were everyone is behind the barrells shooting at each other instead of the proper way camo & woods.

I believe Apex and company are probably around the 12 years old mark or so it sounds to me (COD Kiddies) and got their mommy to buy the game for them. This game is based on realism you don't have perfect visibility on the battlefields.

Upvote 0
Well...

I've enjoyed our friendly discussion, Icey and Lightsaber, but this thread has attracted the petty back and forth bickering that got the other closed so I'm on to other things. If you'd like to continue the discussion I'd be happy to do so via PMs, but I'm leaving this before it gets truly out of hand again.

P.S. This is why we can't have nice things!

Upvote 0
Yep they want the Paintball were everyone is behind the barrells shooting at each other instead of the proper way camo & woods.

I believe Apex and company are probably around the 12 years old mark or so it sounds to me (COD Kiddies) and got their mommy to buy the game for them. This game is based on realism you don't have perfect visibility on the battlefields.

guessing you're around the 90 year old mark, as you seem a bit slow and having trouble reading anything being said in this thread, get off the bandwagon, everything in my config is perfectly legal, however in pub i use default settings so people like you dont whinge about getting owned, even more than they already do.

Upvote 0
@sunking, im a cod hater myself, i love RO2, hence why i put my hand up to run the ladder here and make it as competitive as possible, because i want the game to last) kills mean nothing to me in game, im actually always telling people to push up to the objective with me (since half of the people in pub just sit back and camp)

Upvote 0
What do you consider low?

I play with a Phenom II x4 940 (3 gig quad core) and an HD 5770. Since yesterday's patch I can play on ultra and run 50-70 FPS with dips into the mid 40's. Admittedly, I play on a low resolution because my monitor is crap and only supports up to 1024 x 768, though.

Same has happened for me. I run everything on ultra except detail, and I get similar frames to you at 1680 x 1050. My specs are pretty similar.

I only used the tweaks to get rid of DOF, lighting etc. before because it was the only way I could play the game smoothly.

Now, it looks beautiful, and I just need to take a bit more care in the shadows. I could turn gamma up, but the game would look like faeces, so I don't.

OP is rather too cynical: I'm glad the game is totally tweakable. I play 'for the family' - it's not Battlefield Bad Campony, you know.

Upvote 0
I think all the people who dont want me to turn my brightness up have nazi paraphernalia on their wall.

What if the sun is shining in my window can I turn my gamma up then pls? :p
NO YOU MAY NOT!!! NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME LIKE A CIVILIZED ADULT!!!

I hope Apex does mod I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Maybe he might get rid of all the unfair buildings and cover or add lights to all dark rooms (I mean how dare people hide it's not fair), get rid of prone, crouch so that everyone is in the open and on a "equal playing field".
You know just for competitive reasons.

Upvote 0
I can put myself in the top score with all the things enabled. No need a windows 98 game to play well.

Same. But theres only a few maps which are skill based like Apartments when it comes to kills and having all options enabled. If you get an insane number of kills in a round, like 30-40+ you are either the commander or you've just found 1 sweet spot.

And finding a single location is not what I call skill.

Upvote 0
turn off shadows
turn off blur
just about turn off everything

so you can see

if winning and kills is the point
then tweaking is a most

facepalm.gif

Upvote 0
I think the problem is where do we draw the line? Higher FOV can be an advantage but it's a fairly standard feature on many PC games. Just as turning off all the effects can be an advantage but it's also in many PC games.

When all the PCs are different, and all the users preferences are different as well, if we lock down tweaks to make the game exactly the same for everyone, we're making the rigs we spent so much time on tweaking, really expensive consoles. It does level the playing field if we all have the same rig and preferences but I'm pretty sure we don't.

Personally, I try to find a balance of pretty and performance. Yeah, I can run the game on Ultra at 30-40 fps:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002966276/screenshot/540653520127270968/?tab=publichttp://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002966276/screenshot/540653520127270968/?tab=public

or I can run the game on low at 100:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002966276/screenshot/540653520127244828/?tab=publichttp://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002966276/screenshot/540653520127244828/?tab=public

(Empty, Apartments)

So somewhere between performing like butthole or looking like butthole there is a balance. If the tweaks are flat out removing things (foliage tweaks in Blops) that would otherwise be used as cover or rendering things so poorly that you can just see through them, I think most people agree that is an exploit. But again, where do we draw the line?

If we force everyone to have the same settings, people who have better rigs will have a better gaming experience and it negates the value of having a PC. If we don't force everyone to have the same settings, then players can tweak until it cheats.

TLDR; To the tweakers and non tweakers, be careful what you wish for, or we'll all be playing on a flat level with one gun at a very stable 30 FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0