• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
Haven't played it in months, but I'll try this one. But I agree that they have a lot to fix. It's not necessarily the gameplay that scares me off, but the bugs and the smacktards. The riflemen aren't even unlimited, wtf.

*Choose rifleman*
*End up with shotgun (the bullets stop in mid-air on this one)*
*Suicide, choose rifleman, respawn*
*Spawn with RPG*
*Spawn with shotgun*
*Spawn with RPG*

*Quit*

Yeah, their class selection option is completely broken at the moment, although it looks like it will be improved in the coming version of INS.

Upvote 0
I don't really understand all the INS hate in here. Aside from the broken class menu and the spawnrape, which are both going to be fixed according to the devs, INS is quite an enjoyable mod.
I wish people would take RO's flaws into consideration (a retail game, mind you) before they badmouth the first(!) beta of a mod.

I'm looking forward to their next release.

Upvote 0
I'm not necessarily talking about bugs. I've got a decent computer (or so I thought?) and it runs like ***. I would have to tone graphics to OFP level to reach a playable framerate. BF2 runs better, which says a lot. That doesn't make it a better game in terms of gameplay of course - but meh, ArmA could've used a little more optimisation in my view.
Also, radio commands. Do I need to elaborate?

To the dev's defence, they were rushed by the publisher IIRC. But that doesn't mean I can enjoy their game.

Upvote 0
They'd need to try hard NOT to meet your low expectations? D:
True. After the years of anticipation, the release was such a let down (I don't say that INS is outright bad, it just didn't live up to the humongous hype the devs created, thus, the quality/hype relation made it look much worse than it actually is), that they'd have to deliberately screw the next one up to not meet my by now very low expectations.

Upvote 0
I don't really understand all the INS hate in here. Aside from the broken class menu and the spawnrape, which are both going to be fixed according to the devs, INS is quite an enjoyable mod.
I wish people would take RO's flaws into consideration (a retail game, mind you) before they badmouth the first(!) beta of a mod.

I'm looking forward to their next release.

Apparently you didn't follow the development of Ins very much then, that first (!) Beta was in development for years, and the Dev's where very keen to tell us that the wait was worth it, because when Ins finally did come out, it would be of the same kind of quality as retail games, and have new and innovative gameplay and realism never before seen.

What we did get, however, was very much a first beta filled with bugs, and the sort of poor gameplay design that you would have thought years of development and testing should have weeded out, and Ins pretty much plays like CS:S with iron sights and more weapon damage.

Ins is, if anything, a textbook example of how you can shoot yourself in the foot with bad PR work, if you promis people the moon, and give them a grapefruit instead, they are not going to like you.

Somehow, im reminded of Daikatana here..

That is the reason for the "Ins hate", we where promised the moon, but all we got was a soggy grapefruit.

Upvote 0
You're quite right, I did only hear of Insurgency maybe a year ago and I never frequented their forums. However, in a time where gamers are openly lied to by professional game developers, you'd have to be pretty green to believe everything a mod team tells you - and I'm not even talking about release dates. I remember a thread in this forum about some game/mod called 1944 D-day, just read the feature list and tell me it's not full of **** with a straight face.

Anyway, I do agree with the bad PR work. I was seriously pissed off at the INS team when they postponed the release with a bunch of half-assed excuses, especially the donations. That is certainly NOT the way to do it.

On the bright side, I played INS when it was released non-stop and I hardly encountered any bugs aside from the screwed up class system and the spawnraping, which are indeed annoying. INS is after all a solid shooter with room for improvement, and it's actually being improved. Not too many mods are still spoken of 2 weeks after their release, most are stillborn.

I could also imagine other reasons for the hostility towards INS on this board but they're unproven gossip.

Upvote 0
You're quite right, I did only hear of Insurgency maybe a year ago and I never frequented their forums. However, in a time where gamers are openly lied to by professional game developers, you'd have to be pretty green to believe everything a mod team tells you - and I'm not even talking about release dates. I remember a thread in this forum about some game/mod called 1944 D-day, just read the feature list and tell me it's not full of **** with a straight face.

Perhabs it was naive to belive a word they said, but honestly, i whilst i have been burned badly by many retail games, i have never been burned like this with any mod before Ins, i've seen them fall too short of their potential, not have some features yet that they said they where planning for this release, and ofcourse the bugs, stuff like that, but i've never seen a mod betray its own vision so fast and so utterly, and i hope i never will again.

As for this 1944 D-day buisness, i have no idea what that is (never saw that thread i guess), the only mod i know under that name was made for Quake-II, and has been out of development for many many years.
It was good though, for its time.

Anyway, I do agree with the bad PR work. I was seriously pissed off at the INS team when they postponed the release with a bunch of half-assed excuses, especially the donations. That is certainly NOT the way to do it.

Well, be happy that you haven't followed it more clousely then, because that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to PR blunders from thease guys.. there really has not been any shortage of "ohh t3h drama" moments, if you know what i mean.

On the bright side, I played INS when it was released non-stop and I hardly encountered any bugs aside from the screwed up class system and the spawnraping, which are indeed annoying. INS is after all a solid shooter with room for improvement, and it's actually being improved. Not too many mods are still spoken of 2 weeks after their release, most are stillborn.

Its all a matter of opinion really, you have yours, i have mine, and thats fine.

And really, had the Ins Dev's just been up front about what kind of mod they where making, it would all just have been water under the bridge, just yet another mod i wasen't really that interested in but might try just for kicks, you know the sort.
But instead, they chose to get us realism fans all hyped up, jerked us around for years, and then punched us in the face on release day.. atleast thats how it feels, and thats why we are not just apathetic about Ins, but actually angry with it.

I could also imagine other reasons for the hostility towards INS on this board but they're unproven gossip.

Again, i am not sure what you are aiming for there..

Upvote 0
As for this 1944 D-day buisness, i have no idea what that is (never saw that thread i guess), the only mod i know under that name was made for Quake-II, and has been out of development for many many years.
It was good though, for its time.
The D-Day he is talking about is an upcoming large scale ww2 game that is going to feature things like civilians, animal life, rain lifting the waterlevel, etc. pp. Basically everything you might think would be cool to have in a realistic ww2 game and a few things that you never even thought of when thinking of a game. All of that on historically accurate maps of course. I think they were talking about geerating the maps from topographical data, so they don't have tto be mapped individually and only those areas of specific interest (Carentan or something) would be decorated by hand.
Its all "Very, very (I mean VERY)" ambitious to say the least.
Again, i am not sure what you are aiming for there..
One of INS's developers is a former dev of RO.
He is said to have departed from RO because it was watered down so much. Oh the irony. Well, I don't know him, nor do I know any real reasons, so I won't comment on that in here.

Upvote 0