• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Instead of releasing character packs DLCs

exorio

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
... why not releasing more appropriate DLCs such as additional maps? Or a PvP mode? :D

Since the characters don't give you any advantage nor replayability of this game, except how other players see you in-game. I have all the character packs except for london's finest the bad santa (promised myself doing less gaming for this holiday).

The community whitelisted maps has tons of good selections, and should've gone through intensive testing by the community. Or run vote for it.

Just make the superb ones official with added more features/balances/eye candies/tweaks and such.

The reason I don't really want community supported maps is that there're barely any servers playing them, well some. But if it's included as official, it will run in features such as map rotations, right?

I would buy the map packs. Also definitely would buy PvP features for KF :D

PvP as DLC won't hurt the "major" players who simply don't like the idea of DM. Additional maps don't ruin the balance KF had over along the updates and bugfixing.

note to PvP haters. You don't like PvP then STFU plz, don't reply in my thread whining about balances and such if PvP enabled in this game.

cheers

because TWI is nice, and said that they don't want to split the community or give anything game-changing in the DLC. I have to say, those of us who despise online payment love TWI to death for it.

Anyways, with the whitelisting system, 1000+ community maps, multiple PvP mutators, and massive community freedom, the DLC would quickly lose ground as people realize how easily they can skip around the payment via the community.

Anyways, I think we are all happier not having to pay, thank you:D

Upvote 0
because TWI is nice, and said that they don't want to split the community or give anything game-changing in the DLC. I have to say, those of us who despise online payment love TWI to death for it.

Anyways, with the whitelisting system, 1000+ community maps, multiple PvP mutators, and massive community freedom, the DLC would quickly lose ground as people realize how easily they can skip around the payment via the community.

Anyways, I think we are all happier not having to pay, thank you:D

yeap. but the mutators and some of the maps don't really level your characters.

And let alone you'll need to actually scavenge for the good maps out of the probably 99% of the crappy ones, which not a really pleasant "work" to do.

Out of 1000+ probably just mere less than hundred that's really worth it. I play some good community whitelisted levels, but turn out my perk don't level up in them. So what's the point of getting it for free in the meanwhile one of the main attraction of KF is actually character leveling?

map packs don't change the game core.

PvP as DLC don't chage the game core too.

Upvote 0
yeap. but the mutators and some of the maps don't really level your characters.

And let alone you'll need to actually scavenge for the good maps out of the probably 99% of the crappy ones, which not a really pleasant "work" to do.

Out of 1000+ probably just mere less than hundred that's really worth it. I play some good community whitelisted levels, but turn out my perk don't level up in them. So what's the point of getting it for free in the meanwhile one of the main attraction of KF is actually character leveling?

map packs don't change the game core.

PvP as DLC don't chage the game core too.

If they are whitelisted, levelling should be enabled (non-whitelisted ones still have perks but no levelling, so it can be difficult to tell)

Anyways, I can't imagin TWI placing blocks on various maps to try and extort money. It would be a ruiner for their "free-content" reputation. I till assert that they would be screwed by their community freedoms upon doing this anyways.

And, don't forget that there would likely be no levelling on a PvP DLC anyways, so why would anyone pay for a polished version of free content? And the higher chance would be a free release anyways, as it would be a big promo that would attract more buyers, expand the community, and make everyone scatter once more and spread the news of the glory of TWI

Upvote 0
If they are whitelisted, levelling should be enabled (non-whitelisted ones still have perks but no levelling, so it can be difficult to tell)

I've downloaded some from the list back then (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41919), and my perks don't level with some of them. I forgot which ones.

I downloaded other whitelisted pack zips too which contains hundreds of em. And my perks don't level with MOST of em.

Thus I deleted all the custom levels and stick to the official ones, except for kf-survival to level my commando.

Anyways, I can't imagin TWI placing blocks on various maps to try and extort money. It would be a ruiner for their "free-content" reputation. I till assert that they would be screwed by their community freedoms upon doing this anyways.

And, don't forget that there would likely be no levelling on a PvP DLC anyways, so why would anyone pay for a polished version of free content? And the higher chance would be a free release anyways, as it would be a big promo that would attract more buyers, expand the community, and make everyone scatter once more and spread the news of the glory of TWI

Those are just merely your fruit of assumptions which are the result of over thinking the future consequences that barely would happen. OMG. I wanted to say that line for a looong time, just need to find the appropriate moment for it :D

pardon the grammar tho... it's not my specialty :rolleyes:

My guess is. People would still bought the DLCs. Why? Because KF is soo frikin great! And blocking the availability of the free contents isn't part of my suggestions.

Look at some of the steam indie games.

Super meat boy for example. You can still play the flash version for free, but people bought the game anyway. Because it's damn good.

And don't forget robot unicorn attack. You can still play the flash version for free and it's not much different on the iphone. I have the game on my iphone. Why? Since it's soo freakin awesome :D

Those are just merely some of the examples out of hundreds out there. Do you really want to say you know about video game business out of those guys (Super Meat Boy and Robot Unicorn Attack devs)? If you don't then... your arguments are merely just your assumptions.

Besides. Most players who really love the game would've choose to extend the game replayability rather than considering how they'll look in the game.

Why are you wasting your time here anyway? If you don't want the DLCs you can just ignore the "buy" button on the KF page on steam if they are released. I did on the london's finest DLC pack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... why not releasing more appropriate DLCs such as additional maps? Or a PvP mode? :D

This is not Infinity Ward

Since the characters don't give you any advantage nor replayability of this game, except how other players see you in-game. I have all the character packs except for london's finest the bad santa (promised myself doing less gaming for this holiday).

They don't. TWI like to give player the option to buy the non-game changing things for a very small price. They themselves are gamers, and they know how to make a gaming community happy.

The community whitelisted maps has tons of good selections, and should've gone through intensive testing by the community. Or run vote for it.

If you mean the ones that were officially included in the game, they were entries for a

Upvote 0
This is not Infinity Ward

who said it is?

They don't. TWI like to give player the option to buy the non-game changing things for a very small price. They themselves are gamers, and they know how to make a gaming community happy.

If you mean the ones that were officially included in the game, they were entries for a

Upvote 0
They don't make those things, because they prefer to give them away for free. They already tried making a PvP gamemode, but decided it was too much trouble, so there wont be any of them unless they are fan-made. The only thing TWI will have as DLC is aesthetic enhancements; ones that don't affect gameplay such as skins.

Upvote 0
Personally I like playing PvP games, but for the wrong reasons. I like filling a role, helping my team and working together. I've put in huge hours on TF2, CSS, CoD, etc and I always encounter the same problem. No matter how well I play, or even how good my score is, I get really frustrated and pissed off. PvP usually boils down to people picking the least skill demanding weapons and noobing their way to the top of the scoreboard going rambo.

You look at all games that have come out lately. How many have you seen that really focus on Cooperation? I mean really focus on it rather than just having 2 guys playing the same as if they were just in 1 player?

Gears of War 2? That was good.

CoDMW2 Spec Ops mode? Very small part of the game.

L4D? Coop gets rammed down your throat to the point it isn't fun.

TF2? doesn't count because the balance issues are up the swanny, making the same classes the recipe to win.

Battlefield Bad Company 2? Great game again.

There isn't realy owt else that really warrants a mention, and even half these games aren't really coop games themselves. Not even Fifa really works as a cooperation game. Its the trend of the modern market, games just don't do coop anymore.

Its all about online competition nowadays, and killing your mates rather then saving them. I personally love Killing Floor for the fact that it is all about helping one another and coordinating your efforts. Its a fantastic Coop survival game, its what its always been. The last thing it needs is to be tainted by trying to shoehorn in a lack lustre PvP mode that goes totally against the ideology of the game.

Plus I can honestly say I don't have a single thing I actually dislike about Killing Floor, which is why its my favourite game of all time. If a PvP mode were added it would be a black mark that would lead me to getting frustrated playing it and drop my opinion of the game, even if the regular mode was left untouched. It would probably knock Metal Gear back up to 1 in my mind.

So, I'm have to say No.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok lets stop the fighting. I'm having trouble following along already.

From what I get: You(The OP) is asking for buy able map packs and gametypes. There is a couple reasons why this won't happen. First TWI has already stated that they will not release DLC that will split up the community.

Second, Even if they did release charged DLC maps, what would stop players from cache ripping or joining servers and downloading said maps? TWI would have to modify Killing Floor to make it so they could enforce the payment.

Honestly what I would rather see is polished(Whitelisted Final versions)/exploit inspected maps be wrapped up into a steam download for Killing Floor. It would make community map packs easily accessible to server admins and players and might give server admins a reason to run the packs.

Reactions: exorio
Upvote 0
ridiculous? Nope.

Care to explain why?

Unless they cripple the game when they launch it and only after the players bought the "DLC"s the players don't experience the game at its fullest. That's ridiculous.

The amount of content you're permitted to access defines the fullness of your experience. Limiting some of the game-changing content to the people who pay for it effectively splits the community and douses the full gameplay experience that could've been for everyone in the form of free updates. TWI wouldn't change this. All the content for RO has been free, as with KF and soon RO2.

More varieties of DLCs consisting of elements that helps the replayability of KF do concern me.

Good. But they shouldn't; probably wouldn't be given a price tag.

As I've said before my suggestion isn't including blocking the availability of the community version of the maps.

It's a pretty bad idea, still. If TWI make maps a paid thing, that will stop the community from making more. If it doesn't, then TWI will spend all this time on the game-changing content and no-one will feel very inclined to buy it when they look at the quality of the maps by Fel, Dextronaut, SlaveK, Kick3r, Murphy and many, many others that the KF community just love. Also, if only TWI releases maps, community goodwill and the amount of work done on the SDK goes down the toilet.

BTW I have COD4 not MW2 nor BO. So I don't really give a damn for any of those two.

That's beside the point. The point is that there's no need to make a game alike to another. That's why different games are made. That's why you play the different game instead of attempting to poke TWI into the direction of making the two share features.

Yeap I know the updates.

I think you should also appreciate the fact that it's free and it has made thousands of people happy instead of you asking for to be able to pay for them. Sure, we all like supporting TWI, but that's because of the freebies they offer so we support them by paying for cosmetics. IW, EA, Treyarch and others don't do that, do they? Nobody particulary wants to support them, they just want the content and occasionally moan about the price tag.

And I figure that it will help both side, the players and TWI if the upcoming new maps got delivered using DLC.

Oh great, that's just a few people who aren't hit by the ****ty end of the stick. Mappers get money. Some mappers try really hard and get outshined by another and nobody ever enjoys their product. The playing community has to spend money and miss out on many potential maps that could've been there.

The players get more replayability, TWI get the support. As simple as that.

The character packs are the support. The maps are given to the playing community to make players want to support TWI and also, be appreciative of the free stuff TWI give.

I definitely would buy maps instead of characters.

Your loss.

everyone? Then why exactly the PvP mutator exist in the first place?

Because some things need experimenting with. That was the experiment, it got it's result and people are glad that it did.

My guess is the PvP shortlived since it's not official. Not everyone's a hardcore like you, barely anyone noticed the availability. And probably not polished very well.

Specimentation Versus wasn't overly interesting (as in the novelty of playing as ZEDs was great, but short-lived) and the more basic kind of PVP FPS was made and it proved to be pointless.

Most of mods from official-supported games ARE shortlived. With an exception of Counter-Strike, which were picked up by valve and make it their official game.

Don't forget Killing Floor. It's most definitely not shortlived - it was originally a mod made in 2005 which got popular very fast and it was then picked up by TWI and made into their official game. Learn your history.

So stop *****ing about it. They scrape it already. Duh? You're here just for the argument are you? Ok you win, whatever. Read the first post. You don't like PvP, post elsewhere.

I posted honest statements and opinions, which are shared with me by many, to a thread that has cropped up too many times to count. You're not the first person I and others have been dealing with on this matter. You're now backing down because you know, like most others, the PVP elements became a failure after testing. It's not me "winning" It's just a fact floating all over the forum that many have come to terms with.

Glad to be entertaining. I find it quite amusing aswell you choose to spend your time here :) Move on bro.

And you choose to do the same. Point?

Guess which ones are the answers.

Upvote 0
Since the characters don't give you any advantage
Paying the devs for an ingame competitive edge = DIRTY ICK EW GROSS BAD NO

That said, I personally wouldn't mind a paid PvP option, though I'm not sure what that would entail exactly. (Maybe a side-by-side competition as to which 3-man sub-team at the game's end has the most money (if the patty is defeated) or is the last to be killed (if the players are wiped out)?)

What was the originally scrapped PvP mode again?

Upvote 0
That said, I personally wouldn't mind a paid PvP option, though I'm not sure what that would entail exactly. (Maybe a side-by-side competition as to which 3-man sub-team at the game's end has the most money (if the patty is defeated) or is the last to be killed (if the players are wiped out)?)

What was the originally scrapped PvP mode again?
They never mentioned what was in it. Though my guess, looking at the unused map in the first wave of beta, the zed control device and the new money system; it was a sort of race to see who could make the most money in a game. Players fighting over kills(but really, over damage) etc. Explains why the new money system was made, without any great demand from the community. This is all speculation though, TWI never said anything about it, other than it used the Zed Control Device.

Upvote 0
I don't even need to write a statement since Gibby already wrote everything, which I thought of your suggestion.

Splitting the Community is properly the last thing that I would have thought of, but I agree with it.

Cheers

And dude.
He was only giving his POV of you suggestion. Posting a suggestion on this forum in general results responses of all kind. Both negative and positive.

Upvote 0