• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Implications to EULA Change

They do have the power. Its on the front panel of their computer. Seriously, if people let themselves be abused, then they've more or less earned it because they have every opportunity to get away from it online. These are people that allow themselves to become victimized because they are uneducated as to how the internet works. Its so easy to ignore 'abusers'.

I'm not saying by any means that they deserve it, but they certainly need to take an active role in protecting themselves. There is nothing TWI can do if some idiot goes about spewing all his personal information online and other users do something malicious with it.
They don't deserve it, but they earned it ? You should be more explicit when talking about such subjects, sincerity is the key here.

Psychological and emotional weakness is a real thing, it affects billions of people, some through their entire life, some through certain difficult periods, for many different causes: difficult family, troubled childhood, recent death of a relative or loved one, depression, anxiety, life-threatening disease, PTSD, etc...

Simply because you are not currently experiencing it, doesn't mean other people aren't suffering from it.

You can walk on your two legs, while people with disabilities having to rely on wheelchairs or crutches can't. "Why they can't simply ignore the pain and make a little effort to walk, uh ?" is a completely amoral answer, these people have the right to exist and move outside. Just like vulnerable people have the right to get online and play video games, without fearing they're going to be subject to repeated harassment.

I've never been a passive victim regarding online harassment, even when people tried real hard to track me down, I've never let it over affects me. But I know most people around me are vulnerable to such personal harassment and would be completely destroyed by such attacks.

Should we blame vulnerable people for their vulnerabilities ? Survival of the strongest, death to the weak ones ?

Kids being molested are very often psychologically weak before the abuses (it's often the main reason why it could even start), couldn't they just report it to the police or an adult ?

You say it's so easy to ignore abusers... but have you ever been targeted by such people ?

They search all your nicknames, pile up all the information you previously provided in public (not knowing it was going to be used against you years later), going through all possible logs and reports (from their accomplices), they get all the identification numbers they can get (SteamID & co) and search constantly for every single bit of additional information (other games, frequent servers you join, your online "friends", your current country using your IP address), they use your e-friends and disguise themselves as your e-friends to get closer to you, getting near your Steam, Facebook, Twitter or even email accounts. They can easily find where people live and study/work (at least the town) and with a little social engineering find their actual address.

For the abusers, it's a detective game ; for you, it's just the beginning of paranoia: you never know when they'll find you, when and how they will strike, if they are already destroying your social life. Do that on teenagers going through a difficult moment in their life, and you've got a kid swinging on a rope or vomiting pills in the bathroom for every 100 cases of online harassment.

I really think you should reconsider your views on bullying and harassment, online and IRL, it's much more than just "Hey guys, it's Arblarg again, the noob who can't aim for ****, let's shoot him in the leg until he switches to another server - too bad for him that there's only 3 full 50+ players servers for his region of the world and our clan plays on all three". That kind of abuse is the softest kind of harassment, not the maximum at all. Mental and psychological manipulation and torture know no limit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So now tripwire can revoke my CD key that I paid for if I do anything they deem as "Abusive" whatever they consider that to mean. That's nice to know, it brings back similar memories of how EA dealt with any negative opinions towards the game on their forums. God forbid TW go down a similar path, they are one of the few game devs I have supported so much over the years.

Upvote 0
This
The abusive users TW is talking about aren't people who call you a n00b.
They're the people that can really screw with you. Depending on how much information you put on steam, people can do alot more than just kick you or insult you. People have been harassed and their information has been passed out to other people who wish to harass. You can always turn off your computer, but you shouldn't have to hide from the internet, the people of the internet aren't intitled to harass you and stalk you, it's not your responsibility to get-over-it.

Upvote 0
So now tripwire can revoke my CD key that I paid for if I do anything they deem as "Abusive" whatever they consider that to mean. That's nice to know, it brings back similar memories of how EA dealt with any negative opinions towards the game on their forums. God forbid TW go down a similar path, they are one of the few game devs I have supported so much over the years.
Look at the yellow text there, they've already told us what they considerate it to mean. You're not going to get suprize CD banned for insulting someone on the internet. This is for serious stuff. It's not about negative attitudes or anything like that. If they were going to ban people for that it would have already happened en masse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look at the yellow text there, they've already told us what they considerate it to mean. You're not going to get suprize CD banned for insulting someone on the internet. This is for serious stuff. It's not about negative attitudes or anything like that. If they were going to ban people for that it would have already happened en masse.

The main thing really boils down to people don't like someone else having control over them. For example, I doubt TWI will abuse what they have in the EULA, but they could and they're free to. Some people don't like trusting a company to be able to shutdown their game/server etc, no matter what the cause. These people (myself included) just don't like it conceptually. I highly doubt TWI will abuse the EULA and I guess they're just getting rid of a few bad apples and trying to improve the community. But I dislike the fact they CAN shutdown my server, take away my keys etc, after I've bought them.

Honestly, I think a much better approach would to be have a blacklist of steam IDs/IPs etc that server owners can opt into. That way server admin can get rid of annoying people and TWI could black list some servers from showing up on the master list too I'm guessing (for "bad" servers etc).

I think everyone knows TWI _means_ well, they just don't like how they're going about it (myself included).

/words

Upvote 0
Yeah what I'm seeing is just that some people are under the impression that TW is under some new regime and they're going to get all authoritarian. They're not going to become all strict and such. I imagine they're just putting that in the EULA so they can say it's there in the event they need to take action on an extreme case.
Of course, I'm of the opinion that some people need to have their CD taken away, even if they did pay for it; I don't feel that paying money is the ultimate entitlement; hence when people get busted for drugs they don't get refunded for the drugs that are confiscated.

Upvote 0
Personally I find this extremely unnecessary. Tripwires one of the companies that generally have a fan based following and I hope that they see the errors they have made in this move and cancel it. If someones bothering me Ill kick him i don't need nor want someone with this power. This seems like a move that EA would make, not tripwire and while I am unlikely to suffer these consequences directly I don't want the community needlessly damaged from it, when it is a small and dedicated community on the servers anyway.

Upvote 0
Personally I find this extremely unnecessary. Tripwires one of the companies that generally have a fan based following and I hope that they see the errors they have made in this move and cancel it. If someones bothering me Ill kick him
This isn't about someone bothering you. This is about much more serious matters. This about the kind of thing you can't resolve with kicking, the kind of person who has power over you, the kind of person you can't do anything about. TW isn't cracking down on their fanbase the way EA does, this isn't directed at you and me and the random people on this forum. This is directed at sick people that want to ruin your online experience and take joy in your suffering.

Upvote 0
This isn't about someone bothering you. This is about much more serious matters. This about the kind of thing you can't resolve with kicking, the kind of person who has power over you, the kind of person you can't do anything about. TW isn't cracking down on their fanbase the way EA does, this isn't directed at you and me and the random people on this forum. This is directed at sick people that want to ruin your online experience and take joy in your suffering.

This. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Look at the yellow text there, they've already told us what they considerate it to mean.

I remember EA using the whole "Abuse, cyberbullying and sexism" line to justify their bans, this is all I'm saying. :rolleyes:

They can claim these changes are being brought in to single out certain trouble makers. But in reality there is nothing stopping them from banning any criticism and labelling it as "Abuse".

You're not going to get suprize CD banned for insulting someone on the internet. This is for serious stuff. It's not about negative attitudes or anything like that. If they were going to ban people for that it would have already happened en masse.
So they say, we will see in due time I guess. If not then frankly it is an attack on consumers, by taking away a product they own and brought with their own money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main thing really boils down to people don't like someone else having control over them. For example, I doubt TWI will abuse what they have in the EULA, but they could and they're free to. Some people don't like trusting a company to be able to shutdown their game/server etc, no matter what the cause. These people (myself included) just don't like it conceptually. I highly doubt TWI will abuse the EULA and I guess they're just getting rid of a few bad apples and trying to improve the community. But I dislike the fact they CAN shutdown my server, take away my keys etc, after I've bought them.

Honestly, I think a much better approach would to be have a blacklist of steam IDs/IPs etc that server owners can opt into. That way server admin can get rid of annoying people and TWI could black list some servers from showing up on the master list too I'm guessing (for "bad" servers etc).

I think everyone knows TWI _means_ well, they just don't like how they're going about it (myself included).

/words

If you have such a problem with the concept of game companies doing what they please with the product they actually own, maybe you shouldn't play games at all, since that is always their prerogative.

Some people seem to think purchasing a product, most often games, gives them the right to say or do anything, just because they paid for it.

Now, if TWI actually used this change to curb complaints or criticisms, it would be a different thing, but if you think about it, that's pretty unlikely and ridiculous.

Upvote 0
They can claim these changes are being brought in to single out certain trouble makers. But in reality there is nothing stopping them from banning any criticism and labelling it as "Abuse".
But why would you even suspect them of that? Just because they added it to the EULA doesn't mean they are suddenly this superbad 1984 oppressive government who uses bans to quelsh all who oppose them.
Plus that wouldn't even work :p you don't have to have the game to talk bad about TW, and they've proven that they don't ban people from the forum for doing so.
Didn't people wait until EA did what they did to talk bad about them for it? Why would we suspect them of doing that if they have no history of doing it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guys, this post pretty much sums up the reason for the change. It pretty much has no effect on people who play the game and act like a normal person. It also sums up why you guys shouldn't be afraid of the new EULA, it just effects the truly messed up people.

Upvote 0