• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Actually "johnny.B.Goode" i was there and saw it myself, it was over the 2nd Allied airfield as he was attempting a landing and you just ran into him. Also I'd like to add that both Imp and I and I imagine most the server were getting noticable lag spikes, yet we managed to avoid any crashes due to them and no one else was complaining because they just got on with it, as everyone had the same disadvantage.

Upvote 0
Which Anton version are you talking about? Some are better than others but they are all very good fighters, even in a 1on1. What you need to remember is to stay with the boom&zoom tactic, never ever get in a slow turning dogfight with a FW because you'll most certainly lose. Also, if you have a wingman the FW becomes even more deadly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who fights at those heights? People prefer to fight 50m-1000m, so you have no choice but to be there with them unless you plan on BnZing a lot. Depends on the situation sometimes though. On larger maps I see people climbing, but I made the mistake of climbing into the them instead of climbing away from them then flying over them. The FW is all about altitude advantage. You can out turn a noob in a Spitfire, but if he's any bit experienced forget about it. here's another important point, the FWA-9 can't outrun the Spitfire MX 25Lbs. MK108s may be deadly but they have a lot of drag. Get sued to using the 20mms, they're very effective too. I keep remembering fighters that can outrun the FWA-9, heres another two, the P-51D and the BF109K-4 (even though that's a Axis fighter).

Upvote 0
it appears you are missing out on the real il2 but since you used wonder woman view until recently, its not a suprise really.

i have been dived upon by human flown I16 at 5km, i've had to "hide" from La5FN/7 hordes at 8km... you just need to play on the right servers.

unlike you some people actually care about survival. if you want to survive you better climb higher than your opponent.

also the Fw190 can turnfight with any aircraft if you have the right speed.

this is how it might look like btw:

adw_berlin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
played online for the first time in months a couple of days ago and surprisingly enough I had quite a blast. usually I end up getting my *** kicked over and over until I leave the server feeling depressed and humiliated, but this time I finally managed to dish some out. the best run I had involved downing a Spitfire and a MiG-3 in an I-16 Type 24, and I managed to RTB too. (a rare thing for me, online or offline. :p)

Upvote 0
You did ti wrong buddy, Pitch on Auto for older FockeWulfs, keep radiator open on extended climbs with A-8/9.

also the Fw190 can turnfight with any aircraft if you have the right speed.

Yeah, if a Spitfire is going 200 and you're going 500 of course you can. Try it at the same altitude at the same speed.

unlike you some people actually care about survival. if you want to survive you better climb higher than your opponent.

I do, I was very much trying to preserve the 20 D-9's we had and that people kept wasting.

"On larger maps I see people climbing, but I made the mistake of climbing into the them instead of climbing away from them then flying over them."

Upvote 0
I make a point of flying the A-8 or A-9. I generally take off and fly away from the front lines. I climb to about 3.5km on average before turning around and flying off on a diagonal approach to where most of the fighting is. Radiator is open for the whole climb. Once at altitude I lower the throttle to about 60-70% and cruise around the outskirts of the battle looking for someone. If I see someone, which is rare since apparently you can't spot aircraft unless you are directly above them, I make my best guess as to where they're going and I dive. I have a 50-50 chance of shooting them down. No matter what the outcome however, I usually climb back up to 2.5-3km with a swarm of La5/7 and Spitfires on my tail. Then after a prolonged struggle I get shot to hell and die.

Upvote 0
Seriously now, going at 100% throttle, 100% Pitch and WEP on won't make you overheat, and it will give you a good speed advantage if you see anybody at your level or if you need to outrun somebody. This is virtually foolproof. This is one of the great things about the A-8/9 and why I fly it, it won't overheat, so you can concentrate more on fighting rather than engine management. Try it.

Upvote 0
I just bought a cheap copy of 1946, thought I may aswell get it seeing as though I only had the original game.

Encountered a problem (?). Am I the only one who can't set my flaps to the takeoff position in a Spit/Hurricane? I can only raise and lower them to the landing position. When I select autopilot, it does goes to the takeoff setting though.. I think it works on every plane but those two.

Veeery odd. :confused:

Upvote 0
I found myself flying co-op missions with a friend last time I was online. The mission sets were all Pacific so I was without my FW-190As. I felt like a fish out of water so to speak. I suppose it's a good thing that I have become so accustomed to the 190s interior.

Does the prop pitch really make that big of a difference? I assume mine is set to auto since I've never touched it.

Also, what are your trim settings? I usually set every 190 model I fly in to "8" meaning that I hold ctrl and hit the up arrow 8 times. This seems to work best for around 3-400kmph.

Upvote 0
Kipper said:
Also, what are your trim settings? I usually set every 190 model I fly in to "8" meaning that I hold ctrl and hit the up arrow 8 times. This seems to work best for around 3-400kmph.
I don't have a disired trim setting so to speak, it depends on what angle my aircraft is at, or what speed. For example, if your speed is increasing - your plane climbs, so that puts trim to good use. I only really use the elevator trim (the one your on about), seems like the airleron/rudder ones are only needed for bombers (which I stay well away from lol).

Edit - For anyone who's interested, I found this crackin' site that goes into detail (for dummies!) about the more complex things in il2.
Link - http://home.columbus.rr.com/zach/sim_stuff/il2/il2_cem.html

Edit2 - .. And if anyone wants a game, add meh to xfire (profile) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only really use the elevator trim (the one your on about), seems like the airleron/rudder ones are only needed for bombers (which I stay well away from lol).

Not true, rudder trim is very useful in keeping your plane flying straight without side slipping. This is extra important for planes relying alot on speed like the P-51 for example but will help a great deal in all planes. The rudder pedals can of course be used for this as well but like with elevators and elevator trim the rudder trim is more precise and comfortable than pressing down the rudder all the time. Any time the ball isn't centered you are bleeding speed. Though some planes have a defective side slip instrument, in those cases you will have to get a feel for it yourself.

Upvote 0