• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If there was a (sp)ww2 game where you play as German, would you play it?

If there was a (sp)ww2 game where you play as German, would you play it?

• Only if it was based on another Front than the Eastern and Western Front

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yep. It's time for a WW2 FPS from the perspective of the Germans. Maybe as a Fallshirmjager(sp?), that's the best way IMO of getting the best action, most missions where you win, Monte Cassino, cool uniforms, nice weapons, and you won't play in any meatgrinder missions!.

Ofcourse you could go for the SS route but that's just asking for trouble.

Upvote 0
I've heard that even Germans enjoy playing SP FPSs where they fight "the Nazis". It's a good vs evil thing. It would be hard to make a good vs evil game when your "fuhrer ist Hitler".

Edit : I'm not changing what I wrote. I'm only adding a disclaimer so nobody will fly off the handle again.

Not all Germans were Nazis. Only a few were actually Nazis. Most people in the German army. Were just regular folks trying to survive a war. That was brought on by a government. Most of them didn't even elect to begin with. At the height of the parties popularity. Only 32% of the population even voted for them. They just took over from there.

What I was saying is that when you play a WWII shooter. You are fighting the Nazi government.

There is no black and white. Only shades of gray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not all German soldiers were Nazis.

The game could have a narrative from the characters point of view telling how he hates the Nazi party and is only fighting for his country. It would be very interesting to see how they do it.

I know that. I never said they were. What I'm saying is I would find it hard to fight in a game where my leader is Hitler. Even if I don't agree with Hitler, and I'm only fighting for my country. Every step forward I take in the game is still a step forward for Hitler.

Upvote 0
A game based on the German perspective would be a tough sell because in the end, you lose. I think a game based on WWII resistance movements would work though.

Well, you could have the final mission fighting through Russian lines trying to reach the Allies - it would even let you have the final set of missions be in Berlin.

I think a game could be successful if it didn't try to tiptoe around the Nazis and etc. Something similar to the movie Stalingrad, where your character and some of your squadmates start out being patriotic, going off to war, witnessing some of the atrocities being committed (especially on the East Front), becoming disillusioned with the Nazi command, and finally setting out to try and keep themselves alive regardless of their orders. You win the game if you manage to keep yourself and as many of your squadmates alive till the end of the war.

Upvote 0
Well, you could have the final mission fighting through Russian lines trying to reach the Allies - it would even let you have the final set of missions be in Berlin.

I think a game could be successful if it didn't try to tiptoe around the Nazis and etc. Something similar to the movie Stalingrad, where your character and some of your squadmates start out being patriotic, going off to war, witnessing some of the atrocities being committed (especially on the East Front), becoming disillusioned with the Nazi command, and finally setting out to try and keep themselves alive regardless of their orders. You win the game if you manage to keep yourself and as many of your squadmates alive till the end of the war.

Now that, I could play!

Upvote 0

That's how all war games should be made.

Upvote 0
I've heard that even Germans enjoy playing SP FPSs where they fight "the Nazis". It's a good vs evil thing. It would be hard to make a good vs evil game when your "fuhrer ist Hitler".

Why wouldn't they you stereotyping *******? Do some people still think every German is a nazi or sympathizes with them? Why would they have a problem playing as an american soldier?

After the world cup some people even said that Germany is going back to it's "old ways" lmao, man there are so many dumb people in the world.

If you believe in good and evil you are either dumb or believe in god, or both (that's usually the case).

Upvote 0
A game that draws on Cross of Iron and Stalingrad would ****ing own. At the start of Barbarossa, or the invasion of Poland (what was that called?), your squad would be green like the guys at the start of Stalingrad, and eventually as they go through the war your squad is given increasingly dangerous missions, where you're frequently trapped behind a relentlessly advancing red army line, given the hardest parts of the line to defend, made the spearhead of every attack, your squad would become hard as nails.

Maybe even a two story campaign, were you play as a soldier on the Eastern front, and one on the Western front. See Normandy, Market Gardnen, and the Ardennes from a whole nother light.

Upvote 0
In Vietcong you, too, lose in the end if i remember correctly and it didn't stop people from playing it. In the addon the character even dies (although this is only mentioned in the outtro), same as in Mafia.

It's a great chance to make gameplay a little more adult and less MOHAA gun down dozens of nameless enemies. I'm tired of military shooters basically all having "saving private ryan"-like storylines and characters. A little more ambivalency would be great.

Upvote 0