• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HoS biggest competitor

The current playerbase for ROOST is easily large enough to hop on a game whenever you like. As long as people....

This^

None of thease games are really competitors to HoS because none of them are like HoS in the first place, if people want HOS style gameplay they will only get it from HoS.

And sure, it's safe to assume that players from other communities, like CoD and BF, will be picking up HoS, and that some of them will go back to CoD and BF once their sequals launch, because thouse are their favorite franchises, but there's allways going to be enough RO players to go around, because nothing else plays just like it, BF3 certainly won't scratch my itch for realism and WWII.

We can also expect that, once the "OMG new game!" buzz wears off, a lot of the people that left will pick up HoS again, and play them both on and off, because they are different games that offer something different.

Well sorry but that is complete and other bs, don't just make stuff up. It might have some console limitations which is bad enough but that list is bs.

Large chunks of the BF community would disagree strongly with you, if you browse around on the BF boards a bit, you'll find that many of them fear BF3 will end up exactly like that, and i don't think the fears are unfounded either, considdering the direction Dice and EA have been heading lately..

Upvote 0
Homefront is abysmal, no dedicated servers, oh and did I mention it's a retarded console port that plays terrible in every facet?
Did you not read the PC press release?

I'm not saying that it'll be good (I personally think it will be a retarded console clusterf*ck) but saying that there are no dedicated servers simply isn't true. There will be dedicated servers, even for the consoles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really?
I think the last good PC game I bought within the fps genre was Cod4

You should have specified you meant FPS, when you said there are no "good PC games".

Because the PC is full of great games, just not FPS, still, no time to play them all, why do you need a hundred FPS as long as you have one that is good?, how many of them can you play at a time?

I don't care what happens to the FPS world, cause we can still have fun playing Ostfront like the first day, and that covers all the FPS needs, so I don't see why we need so many FPSs.

RPGs are games with stories, and gameplay mechanics and concepts varies a lot, so each one can offer something completely different (There is just not best way to do it), but FPS are a matter of shooting stuff as realistically as possible, they are about immersion, so one would stick to the one that does the job best... and thus the rivalry between FPS communities.

In other words, if two games offer the same thing, but one does it better, why would you play the other one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This^

None of thease games are really competitors to HoS because none of them are like HoS in the first place, if people want HOS style gameplay they will only get it from HoS.

And sure, it's safe to assume that players from other communities, like CoD and BF, will be picking up HoS, and that some of them will go back to CoD and BF once their sequals launch, because thouse are their favorite franchises, but there's allways going to be enough RO players to go around, because nothing else plays just like it, BF3 certainly won't scratch my itch for realism and WWII.

We can also expect that, once the "OMG new game!" buzz wears off, a lot of the people that left will pick up HoS again, and play them both on and off, because they are different games that offer something different.

Large chunks of the BF community would disagree strongly with you, if you browse around on the BF boards a bit, you'll find that many of them fear BF3 will end up exactly like that, and i don't think the fears are unfounded either, considdering the direction Dice and EA have been heading lately..

^ This

Well, I can add to your post Grobut only one fact. Many clans, which generally used to play Battlefield 2 or Call of Duty 4 in leagues (pro, semi pro, amateur) are waiting for game with decent clanwar support now. And they wait for RO2 because RO2 will offer that support. What "Other" games offer now? Lack of demorecording, advanced server tools, etc is very annoying. The shame is, in old good days such things were in standard package of all PC games.

Upvote 0
I know very well how the BF community thinks because I check the EA UK forums every day. So of course I do know that most people are rather negative because they fear BF3 will be as limited(in scale and possibilities) as BC2. But that was not my point. I was calling his list of made-up pseudo-facts bs.

Upvote 0
You should have specified you meant FPS, when you said there are no "good PC games".

Because the PC is full of great games, just not FPS, still, no time to play them all, why do you need a hundred FPS as long as you have one that is good?, how many of them can you play at a time?

I don't care what happens to the FPS world, cause we can still have fun playing Ostfront like the first day, and that covers all the FPS needs, so I don't see why we need so many FPSs.

RPGs are games with stories, and gameplay mechanics and concepts varies a lot, so each one can offer something completely different (There is just not best way to do it), but FPS are a matter of shooting stuff as realistically as possible, they are about immersion, so one would stick to the one that does the job best... and thus the rivalry between FPS communities.

In other words, if two games offer the same thing, but one does it better, why would you play the other one?

Well it just shows your ignorance and that you don't give a damn beyond your own personal needs. Why do I care? It's not like i play or have time to play every other game, that said the PC platform as a whole has been struggling for years since the consoles came out and some people actually do care hence why shows and communities like Crosshairs/Bash exist.

Personally as a PC gamer, well I want good games not ports, I am not gonna play Ro forever and i like some variation as well, besides im an avid clan player thats been through both the Cod and Bf series(those that weren't mindless console ports) and its rather sad to see where those franchises have gone.

Last but not least , whats happening to the industry will eventually affect your favorite game and/or series, the fact that RO2 is a PC exclusive in 2011 and has all the dev support and feature support it has is a fking miracle in itself.
Just as an example the whole overwhelming support from the Bf,Cod community in favor for RO2 is exactly due to this issue, where cod and bf has become irrelevant for the series on the PC side.

Open your eyes and look around instead of living under a rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TBH there's an incredible amount of AWESOME multiplatform titles that I wouldn't wanna miss and I'd LOVE to play games like Heavy Rain, RDR or GoW3 on PC. It's just that with the consoles getting exclusives like GoW3, Resistance 3 or Killzone 3 which are all completely designed for console it wouldn't hurt to have some huge PC exclusives(specially designed for PC) too. If they are later on ported to consoles (and probably downscaled) I don't care.

Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
Well it just shows your ignorance and that you don't give a damn beyond your own personal needs. Why do I care? It's not like i play or have time to play every other game

I do have time to play other games, I just play games that offer something different, and thats why I only play 1 FPS(the best one), and a thousand RPGs/RTS etc.

Its true that I dont give a damn beyond my personal needs, but ignorance? Where? I never denied that FPS nowadays suck balls. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter as long as there is an alternative.

My personal need is the best FPS, and that is RO2, and if I spend my time playing HOES, I'm not gonna spend that time playing a lesser product that tries to offer the same thing. TWI's FPS are the best ones, and the more success for other FPS, the less success for TWI, and that is not in my best interest, cause I want them to grow and make more and superior products each time.

You just keep dreaming, because those **** console ports are never gonna be good, and if they become "somewhat good" they'll still be inferior to RO2... but you know what will happen then? They'll take all the credit for doing stuff that RO2 is doing first/better. This is just like the people accusing Killing Floor or being a L4D copy all over again.

What do you want in an FPS that RO2 won't have? Because I'd like to hear it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The biggest "enemy" of ROHOS is ignorance, people have the tenacity to keep going in their small gaming worlds thinking they are a the pinnacle of the pyramid, I quote "What is there to improve about CODBLOPS, its perfect, I dont see what they can improve upon" (friend of friend).

All these people have to do is just play ROHOS and they will like it or not like it, I'm biased to think a few more will like it then those who will not like it (especially those who play HC). And if people play ROHOS and then leave to play elsewhere, we've got their money, and they know where to come back to when they get tired of the gimmicks.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
^ This.

Also to add to that, it doesn't matter how good RO2 is. COD/BF have a very well known brand name/logo. They can keep rehashing the same crap and slap their name on it and people will buy it. Ignorance. However RO:Ost sold over 500k copies, imagine what RO2 will sell with their marketing campaign compared to RO1's virtually non existent advertising.

If RO2 turns out to be a great game(I have no doubts about RO2) , eventually it will spread by mouth. As long as TW profits clear the development cost, they will have it made in a way. Think of a Hollywood movie star. Half of them show up over night, it is just a matter of getting into the spot light and then its free sailing(Unless you get hooked on drugs aka making crappy console ports and ****ing over your fans;)).

Upvote 0
I do have time to play other games, I just play games that offer something different, and thats why I only play 1 FPS(the best one), and a thousand RPGs/RTS etc.

Its true that I dont give a damn beyond my personal needs, but ignorance? Where? I never denied that FPS nowadays suck balls. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter as long as there is an alternative.

My personal need is the best FPS, and that is RO2, and if I spend my time playing HOES, I'm not gonna spend that time playing a lesser product that tries to offer the same thing. TWI's FPS are the best ones, and the more success for other FPS, the less success for TWI, and that is not in my best interest, cause I want them to grow and make more and superior products each time.

You just keep dreaming, because those **** console ports are never gonna be good, and if they become "somewhat good" they'll still be inferior to RO2... but you know what will happen then? They'll take all the credit for doing stuff that RO2 is doing first/better. This is just like the people accusing Killing Floor or being a L4D copy all over again.

What do you want in an FPS that RO2 won't have? Because I'd like to hear it.

I think this spinoff discussion is getting rather dull, especially when i've to talk to a brick wall. Try and read what I wrote or don't bother at all mkay? I could only restate what I just wrote, that you don't give a banana about the community as a whole and only care about your personal needs hence you couldn't care less if the PC community came crashing down in 1 year and we'll never see RO3 , KF2 or anything else back on the PC side. Maybe its because the only Pc game/series you've ever cared about is RO and it hasn't affected you yet, I can't find any other explanation for your utterly "smart" statement.

Why do I want other games to succeed? well the PC platform is such a strong platform that has given birth to so many great games, communities especially within e-sport and clanning but mostly importantly the platform as a whole need to be successful or you're gonna see less and less diversity and everyone moving to the console(already happening).

Obviously I don't want cheesy ports thats the whole point of why I care about the PC community succeeding(as in not ported but successful games) whilst you only want one game on top. Did you see what happen to Call of Duty? Once a great PC franchise gone bananas.

And yes by the way , its not like RO is catering to ->all<- the different gameplay needs, as a fan I'd love to see any other franchise come back on top how about a real BF3 or some of the more exclusive and awesome titles such as Rainbow Six RavenSheild 2 or Swat.

I'll leave it at that.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedorov and I. Kant
Upvote 0
I'll just chip in to say that I've down-voted your post, heady89. I did it, because it appears to me that you're a bit more condescending and conceited than Fedorov's replies warranted.
I believe he stated his view succintly and clearly and, in fact, I do happen to agree with the gist of what he wrote.
But, most of all, you're drawing my flak now because you labelled the other poster "ignorant". That doth incite ire in me.

There are enough good games on the PC, there is no need to care about every flopped title. Just be consistent and buy the good games.
Besides, how is the whole "caring" envisioned and achieved? What should I do to successfully "care" about the PC platform? How do I, on a personal level, help out with rectifing the fate that befell CoD?
I may be ignorant (limited in my perspective, I may not yet realise this), but I always assumed that you do your "caring" bit by not funding a bad franchise (i.e. not buying it when it doesn't meet your expectations), or more actively by modding to alleviate its shortcomings. Currently, I do not consider myself fit to mod, therefore my pecuniary vote remains. No?

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
@Heady
You seem to forget that one of the main reasons that so many people is looking up to RO2 is precisely, the failure of other franchises. RO2 promises to give them what the others won't, so now is the chance to shine, to raise above everything else. The podcasts at Crosshairs made this point pretty obvious.

PC as a platform, is not gonna die just because some generic FPS fail at it. Or is it that when BF3 or CoD8 fail, will you stop playing RO2 and buy an XBOX to play FPS?

Oh, and CoD and BF has always been overrated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Heady
You seem to forget that one of the main reasons that so many people is looking up to RO2 is precisely, the failure of other franchises. RO2 promises to give them what the others won't, so now is the chance to shine, to raise above everything else. The podcasts at Crosshairs made this point pretty obvious.

PC as a platform, is not gonna die just because some generic FPS fail at it. Or is it that when BF3 or CoD8 fail, will you stop playing RO2 and buy an XBOX to play FPS?

Oh, and CoD and BF has always been overrated.

I've actually got a few consoles lul, actually two of them 360s :)
How exactly did i "forget" it when it was exactly what i said:

Heady:
Just as an example the whole overwhelming support from the Bf,Cod community in favor for RO2 is exactly due to this issue, where cod and bf has become irrelevant for the series on the PC side.
Anyhow no BF hasn't always been overrated , 1942/bf2 was a great franchise and so was Cod back in the days. They both added a lot to the mp genre before they became static ports and reskinned rehashes every year.

Sure the PC platform itself won't die(As in cease to exist) thats not what I am saying but we're getting fewer and fewer good titles, and it's not like one game is gonna cater to all the needs when it comes to gameplay(maybe for you), which is exactly how you make it sound. RO the salvation to everything we dont need anything else?
(monopoly...)

Ro will be a fantastic ww2 shooter but It ain't no Swat or Rainbow Six etc besides I would want an RO3 eventually, which isn't gonna happen if the industry goes where its going. Like i said I am also an avid clan gamer not just an RO fanboy, we've been playing a lot of competitive matches within vCod,Cod2,Cod4 and CS 1.6/Css sometimes when you stay with these franschises you hope for something new and fresh that has the same level of support and features like their predecessors(mod tools, dedis etc etc), however that is not the case with the new Cods/Bfs/Quakes/R6s etc.

@TheDudeWhoIsDownRatingMe
So you rate my post down every time I make a new one because you don't agree and it makes you feel good, *sigh* This forums is filled with love..:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've actually got a few consoles lul, actually two of them 360s :)

I've got a PS3 and I love her too much to make her play one of those games. No crappy FPS will stain my console, nor my PC. They are not getting my support either way.

Anyhow no BF hasn't always been overrated , 1942/bf2 was a great franchise and so was Cod back in the days. They both added a lot to the mp genre before they became static ports and reskinned rehashes every year.

How good a game is/was is a matter of personal preference, so I can still disagree.

Sure the PC platform itself won't die(As in cease to exist) thats not what I am saying but we're getting fewer and fewer good titles, and it's not like one game is gonna cater to all the needs when it comes to gameplay(maybe for you), which is exactly how you make it sound. RO the salvation to everything we don't need anything else?

Do you think that BF3 or CoD8 succeeding is gonna make them any better for the PC? Each title is worse, and each one outsells its predecessor, what do you think is the message they are gonna get?

In fact, the only way for them to re-think and improve, is to FAIL first, and the sad thing is that they'll never fail.

Because they are like Hollywood... Tons of money wasted in marketing and shiny explosions that everybody will buy like drones, nothing else explains why Black C**ks at its 60 abusive € was still a constant seller in the Steam chart during the sales.

Ro will be a fantastic ww2 shooter but It ain't no Swat or Rainbow Six etc besides I would want an RO3 eventually, which isn't gonna happen if the industry goes where its going.

The industry is not going anywhere, if TWI succeeds and others fail, then RO3 will happen. Then other companies will try to copy them, but hopefully, by the time that happens (if that happens), TWI will be big enough to stand on its own and have a name.

I want TWI to stand above them all, waving a big flag with the word "Quality" on it. If you really care so much about FPS PC gaming, you should realize that this is the only way to save it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got a PS3 and I love her too much to make her play one of those games. No crappy FPS will stain my console, nor my PC. They are not getting my support either way.

How good a game is/was is a matter of personal preference, so I can still disagree.

Do you think that BF3 or CoD8 succeeding is gonna make them any better for the PC? Each title is worse, and each one outsells its predecessor, what do you think is the message they are gonna get?

In fact, the only way for them to re-think and improve, is to FAIL first, and the sad thing is that they'll never fail.

Because they are like Hollywood... Tons of money wasted in marketing and shiny explosions that everybody will buy like drones, nothing else explains why Black C**ks at its 60 abusive

Upvote 0
And If TWI is gone what are you gonna do then? If TWI disappears you'll be standing there with your pants down... maybe then you'll at least understand.

Thats precisely whats happen to the Cods,Bfs your talking about like i said they were once great titles on the PC, obviously they're not gonna go niche again and try to invent and cater to some special audience, precisely for the reason that they've gone mainstream and folks are buying their games on conveyor belt hence why you don't see any innovation.

The industry is most certainly going somewhere and that is casual-land @ the consoles, if you fail to realize this I feel for you.

I don't see the point you are trying to make, I really don't.

Are you saying that crappy console port should succeed so this whole abstract entity of "PC gaming" is saved?

I think you are making a terrible logical mistake with that line of thought.

The games made by businessmen should fail, so the games made by gamers succeeds, thats all.

And the industry is not 1 single entity, because within it, there are still individual companies that tries new things. (And no, the industry is not going to casual land, because it's been there for years already)

Last edited:
Upvote 0