• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I personally would have no issue with FFA, I don't think it will work well with all classes available as with RO weaponry is balanced on a per team basis and not a per player basis.

For instance the sniper rifle got both regular sights as the magnified sight, why would anyone take the normal bolt action rifle. If they could pick a sniper and get both worlds. In a team based game you can limit the classes for certain weaponry. But when everybody is competing against each other you cannot really do that.

So if FFA would be done it would either need to be with limited weaponry available, or weaponry modified to be balanced against each other. Now the latter is pretty much no option as you cannot make weapons feel different for a single game mode (leads to confusion).

But offering FFA where the server could set what weapons people can use (by default for instance only bolt action rifles and smgs) could probably work pretty well in combination with TWI's spawn outside of other players sight system.
The ability for a server to set the available weaponry (often called an arena mutator), is popular anyway to create for instance bolt only servers (or for instance a large sniper only map).

So I have nothing against FFA myself (if i won't like it I simply wont play it), although if implemented it should be done in a way that doesn't harm the other game modes. And the easiest way is probably simply not allowing some special classes in order to ensure balance.

So if TWI can create something like FFA without too much time effort, then I do not see why not to add it. As long as it doesn't affect the base game play of the other gametypes.

Upvote 0
Why not have it "quake style" as in having weapons out on the ground? Could be just like the panzerfaust in RO1. Or simply just have weapons spawn at dead bodies, either from players or static ones. Would feel just as balanced as Quake everyone has same ability to take the weapons and all that? I feel they could be easily placed out in a way that makes sense.

You spawn with bolt action rifle and/or pistol.

Not sure exactly how the spawn system out in the field will work in RO2 though but.... If there are no "free" safe zones to spawn in, you are put in a queue. If you havent moved out of your safe zone X seconds after spawning, you are killed so someone in line can spawn. Or just limit it so that you will never have to wait to long to spawn, if it is more of an open spawn system just out of range of enemies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krieger
Upvote 0
Why not have it "quake style" as in having weapons out on the ground? Could be just like the panzerfaust in RO1. Or simply just have weapons spawn at dead bodies, either from players or static ones. Would feel just as balanced as Quake everyone has same ability to take the weapons and all that? I feel they could be easily placed out in a way that makes sense.

That would make sense in how the stronger weapons could be implemented.

Upvote 0
After some time and giving it some thought and speaking strictly for myself....

RE: FFA

Perhaps what many veterans here are worried about (and perhaps without realizing it) is that adding too many different gametypes and in particular some very 'Un-RO' gametypes would somehow tarnish the RO image that we hold in such high esteem. Or perhaps that too many players would favor the non-standard RO objective based gametype for TDM/FFA and we (the veteran RO players) would be left out in the cold playing against one another. We all know about the 24/7 Danzig servers. Thats about as close to firefight(TDM) as a stock RO map gets. Fun for some, atrocious for others. And worried perhaps that because most new players would naturally migrate toward the firefight (and FFA if offered) gametypes upon release, that we veterans playing on the objective gametypes would constantly be bombarded with new players and having to explain the game to them as they trickled in to try this new (to them) objective style of play.

Anway, all of the above aside, I got to thinking....

So what if FFA doesn't 'fit' the RO model?

Why not include it as a gametype?
It might perhaps create a place to capture all the (pardon the stereotyping) CS-kiddies who have no other interest. Keeps them from coming into our objective games and ruining our fun TK'ing and being asshats because they don't like what we play.

Why not have unlimited classes and weapon choice?
The FFA players will migrate toward the weapons of their choice. No need to 'balance' them per se. If a player wants to take on an smg with his mosin, let him. Or, if nothing else, let the servers pick and choose the weapons available sandbox style. FFA or firefight doesn't have to participate in 'level ups' or the 'hero' system. ( Let TW listen to the whining..:p) Its not a gametype I was ever interested in. Didn't like it in COD and never played it. But having it as a gametype in COD didn't affect what or where I played in the least.

And yes, it will kind of 'ruin' my vision of what RO is, but firefight already does that. Chances are I'll spend most of my time playing one of the objective based gametypes, but like FFA in COD, firefight won't really affect me unless there just aren't enough interested players for the other gametypes. But I don't really see that happening. The more people playing the game, the better our chances of converting more of them to how RO is meant to be played.

I just dread having to deal with the influx of the l33t pwnage and attitude...:(

Upvote 0
What makes you guys think that these so called "COD players" will want to play something they will most likely see as a "copy of COD"? I think THAT will make them want to tk and harass us. It just doesn't make any sense, are we trying to convert people from COD or are we trying to play RO? If TWI was after nothing but money they would have made something else, and made it a lot easier.

I can see you guys want to make this game which is a good fps with a little sim mixed in, more like COD. That reminds me of what happens to most new MMORPG's. People say "Make it more like WoW!!!" and they do because that's what they hear on the forums. People play it for a while, until they say "This is just like WoW... why don't I go play that instead"? Especially when a new expansion comes out, everyone is gone because they were all looking for a fix of WoW until the next one came out. Now they are barren and empty. I can see this happening with RO2, everyone will want features that exist in COD right now. Then the next COD: xxxxx comes out they will all get the new one and never play that "WW2 COD clone" ever again. Why not just leave the game as it is/was planned to be for the people who actually played and still play the first one, for the reasons that made it the great game it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think TWI makes RO because it's a franchise that they themselves like, but to deal with the production costs and to simply make ends meet, they need to make the game more "accessible" for people who dont normally play the genre. People who DON'T play RO are the majority on the gaming market, as such it's an untapped goldmine. Now that majority tends to stick to console games, but that being said there's still a percentage of that percent that play on the PC and tripwire, as a company does need to make an effort to draw them in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ilikewherethisthreadisgc.jpg

By bazemk1979 at 2011-01-15

Upvote 0
Yes, thanks Floyd, Snuffeljuret, Zetsumei, and Hypo-toad. Good points. FFA WILL do several things. It can help reduce the amount of frustration for everyone. How frustrating is it going to be when you get a flood of all these new/COD players that have no clue how to play? lol I've played RO1 about 8 hours or so and I still don't know exactly what I'm suppose to do objective wise. After this long, I'm sure many of you can't remember what it was like when you first started playing RO. Then if you came from a long COD background? Well....lol. I'm just trying to help everyone understand, with frustration comes opportunities as well. Sure you can say, well I hope the get frustrated and leave my dear beloved RO. Well, you lose out on the possibility of making some great friends and bringing people into your game. You will not help TWI by doing this if you want them to continue making great games. Remember John's a gamer for gamers.

From my experience just in COD, one they quit because they are being harassed by people. Two, they don't care, try to piss everyone off because they know they are making people mad. Three, they hear about how the game sucks from their friends and don't buy it. I've sold as many copies of games as I have prevented. Four, they hold out, learn the game and integrate into the community. lol Either way it's going to be frustrating for everyone. Let them have their safe haven and RO is REALLY going to need it.

Besides, in FFA you don't need balance. A good spawn system would be great, but no one really cares. FFA teaches people the basics faster, and more if you want. Who doesn't play squad based games to win? Honestly right now I could care less about objectives, I'm just trying to learn maps, weapons and shooting. FFA you choose the level of difficulty by your weapon choice. It also gives non-English speaking new comers a place to play on US servers. I use FFA a lot to practice bolts. Play a quick game, or bolts only and etc. It forces you to do things you will not find in other games. Understanding 360 cover, having fast and accurate shots. If you want to get fast with a scoped sniper rifle, try playing FFA on a small map. lol

Anyway, I'm glad some are seeing what it will do for those experienced RO players and how it will help reduce the level of frustration. It's opportunity knocking at many different levels. Thanks for being open. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Id say killcam should probably be an option, because until you know the maps, it can be very frustrating to keep getting killed without having any idea where are the enemies shooting from.

Yeah, lol, many won't want to give up their map advantage so I can understand why they don't want it. I think it should be an option for the many clans that use it. It should have an option to skip it right away though so you can spawn.

Upvote 0
I always liked the idea of FP cam in COD because that game is flooded with haxs,but the cam was disabled during competitions between clans,but we had to record our self during the whole gameplay.

Maeby in RO2 will be a deal breaker to have killcam as in COD iven in pub servers since the game is team based oriented...

Any ways we draged this thread for way too long,can admin flush it for us?

Upvote 0
:confused: You have nothing to worry about guys.

I always liked the idea of FP cam in COD because that game is flooded with haxs,but the cam was disabled during competitions between clans,but we had to record our self during the whole gameplay.

Maeby in RO2 will be a deal breaker to have killcam as in COD iven in pub servers since the game is team based oriented...

Any ways we draged this thread for way too long,can admin flush it for us?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.