• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Half-Life 3 speculation thread

Google for gameinformer january 5th

Also what people call xen aliens aren't really xen aliens because Xen is just a borderworld which the nihilianth-esque aliens fled to from the Combine.

I really wonder if they will further connect portal and HL. I mean obviously they will have to since the borealis is an aperture science ship and the shipping manifest is signed by glados.

Upvote 0
Gameinformer also hinted that the real surprise was the developer, so for Half Life that would mean something like Gearbox developing part 3. Which would be quite cool actually, because even if they butchered DNF on Take2's command, they're still the creators of the best Half Life game to date.

With all this talk about the Source engine, does it still force tiny level segments separated by loading screens? As said before those games were never visually impressive, but lacking some form of streaming technology would be a substantial technical flaw nowadays.

Upvote 0
Gameinformer also hinted that the real surprise was the developer, so for Half Life that would mean something like Gearbox developing part 3. Which would be quite cool actually, because even if they butchered DNF on Take2's command, they're still the creators of the best Half Life game to date.

With all this talk about the Source engine, does it still force tiny level segments separated by loading screens? As said before those games were never visually impressive, but lacking some form of streaming technology would be a substantial technical flaw nowadays.
You've got to be kidding me. The outcry would be enormous. I wouldn't mind if they did an Opposing Force 2, but the next HL? God no.

Upvote 0
Which would be quite cool actually, because even if they butchered DNF on Take2's command, they're still the creators of the best Half Life game to date.

Gearbox wasn't really responsible for extreme majority of DNF's stuff, it was more akin to "Here, there's 5000 random LEGO parts and 300 random started buildings and constructions, finish the job.", most of the derpiest and downright stupid choices were already made by 3D Realms long time ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I highly doubt HL3 will be done by somebody other then Valve. I am a bit upset with how Valve has treated the HL series so far. They are really ignoring it. I doubt Gearbox will ever go back to work on HL. OP4 was just a project they did before they got big. OP4 was an excellent game though.

Upvote 0
You know, it woulden't suprice me if Valve is waiting for the next Console generation to launch HL3.

Valve has increasingly been going multi-platform with their games, and i doubt that's changing. Meanwhile the 360 and PS3 are growing ancient by now, and i don't doubt that Valve has goals for that title that won't fit within their 512 megs of RAM and Dx9 hardware, i'm pretty sure they want to make a big splash with HL3, so that's the holdup i'd say, Valve wants their flagship title on the PC, Xbox720 and the PS4.

What i don't get is why they have canned HL2-Ep3, surely they could have been working on that in all this time..

Upvote 0
You know, it woulden't suprice me if Valve is waiting for the next Console generation to launch HL3.

Valve has increasingly been going multi-platform with their games, and i doubt that's changing. Meanwhile the 360 and PS3 are growing ancient by now, and i don't doubt that Valve has goals for that title that won't fit within their 512 megs of RAM and Dx9 hardware, i'm pretty sure they want to make a big splash with HL3, so that's the holdup i'd say, Valve wants their flagship title on the PC, Xbox720 and the PS4.

What i don't get is why they have canned HL2-Ep3, surely they could have been working on that in all this time..

Could it be that their creativity well has run dry so to speak, and that they have story left for only one more HL game ;)

Upvote 0