• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guns jamming.

No amount of realistic corrosion or buildup in the barrel will cause a rifle malfunction. What you would have, is a substantial loss of accuracy, as the rifling is fouled with copper, and carbon. Barrels are stainless steel, or chrome lined, both of which are extremely resilient to corrosion, and humidity.

Worst case scenario, you COULD clog up the gas tube, after well over 10,000 rounds. That's about how ofter I clean my gas tube, and it is no where near clogged. And IF it was clogged, it would only be reduced to a manual operation rifle.

With a piston driven system, it will go even further, although, the gas piston on the M-14 has to be cleaned every 4,000 rounds, due to it's design, or it turns into a manual operated system.

Type 1, 2 and 3 rifle malfunctions are 100% magazine failures. Type 4 can have many causes, including debris, catastrophic part failure, or lack of lubrication. Enough buildup from a lack of cleaning would be considered debris, but it takes a very substantial amount of buildup to get to that point.

So how many rounds would be shot, in a single battle in game, before the match is over? Once the battle is over, it is assumed soldiers would return to base of ops, clean rifles, fill sandbags...ect. I don't think anyone stormed hamburger hill with 15,000 rounds through their rifle's with no cleaning.

And I'm rather certain the NVA/VC/Chinese had plenty of advance notice of US troop movements, with plenty of time to prepare, but their rifle's were much more lenient regarding the issue anyway.

tl;dr
It is an interesting idea, to add "rifle jamming" to the game, but I don't think it would add to the entertainment value. In order to make it realistic, which is the whole point behind such a feature, it would be very invasive to the player, and very complicated to program and animate. Simply assuming every malfunction was type 1, and just needed a cycle of the action, would be very unrealistic, and any type 4 malfunction would be treated as discarding the weapon and replacing during a firefight, as type 4 requires substantial amount of work to correct.

Upvote 0
No amount of realistic corrosion or buildup in the barrel will cause a rifle malfunction. What you would have, is a substantial loss of accuracy, as the rifling is fouled with copper, and carbon. Barrels are stainless steel, or chrome lined, both of which are extremely resilient to corrosion, and humidity.

But corrosion in the chamber - which is part of the barrel - most certainly will cause malfunctions, particularly failure to extract a fired cartridge, and was a significant problem with the M-16 in Vietnam.

Upvote 0
MOST FTE malfunctions, including in the Vietnam Conflict, occur from dirty, weak or damage extractor on the bolt face. And then, with a semi auto platform, you won't have a FTE without a double feed. SO, unless you advocate Type 3 malfunctions, it's just not realistic.

That, and the chamber is also either chrome lined, or stainless steel, it would take some serious neglect for the chamber to corrode.

Upvote 0
MOST FTE malfunctions, including in the Vietnam Conflict, occur from dirty, weak or damage extractor on the bolt face. And then, with a semi auto platform, you won't have a FTE without a double feed. SO, unless you advocate Type 3 malfunctions, it's just not realistic.

That, and the chamber is also either chrome lined, or stainless steel, it would take some serious neglect for the chamber to corrode.

The M-16 was initially issued in Vietnam without a chrome lined barrel (or chamber) and corrosion in the chamber causing failure to extract malfunctions was a serious problem, which was addressed by chrome lining. The other major component in the M-16's reliability problems in Vietnam was a change in powder that resulted in increased fouling, and the failure to issue cleaning kits and instruct soldiers in their use. These are well known and well documented issues. Google it if you don't believe me.

You also keep bringing up the matter of stainless steel as a barrel material. While chrome plated bores became pretty common after the WWII period, I don't know of any standard issue military rifle (not counting sniper rifles) that has used a stainless barrel. Can you name one?

I'm not advocating the introduction of malfunctions into the game, just trying to get the historical facts straight.

Upvote 0
I think this all started with me responding to a chrome lined upgrade for the M-16, but I've been referring to all rifles in general this whole time. Sorry for the confusion.

In the end, my main point still remains the same, if "jamming" is put into the game, it needs to be done realistic, not just a simple one type malfunction for everything, and that would be excessively intrusive (double feed for closed bolt semi/full auto rifles). Otherwise, it just wont be realistic, which is the whole point of adding in malfunctions.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't like this. I really don't want this game to implement simulator-style features. I want to be able to have fun with the game, not frustrated by complex simulated features.

To me this series is more about the realism than anything else, that's what makes it fun for me. I love it when you spam shots with a rifle in Ro2, causing the casings to expand so you have to extract each one before reloadings.
That or have a casual, and a realism gameplay mode. Wouldn't be much point as all the servers i see being played on these days are realism mode, at least for the Auz/NZ area.

iirc the early era american guns did have issues with jamming, so later tier variations may be less prone to jammin? though this puts me off as i don't really want the game to become foucused on grinding out weapon unlocks for the sake of playablity.

Upvote 0
For me it's the authenticity. The series presents itself in an authentic manner without the need to go full realism. That's what I like.

Fair point, i just gess i'm a sucker for rammifications for certian abusive weapon methods, as it's not a common feature i tend to come across.

They really need to have a fixed standard for foliage however. The grass and bush models and drawing is terrible in Ro2, as hiding in bushes sniping is hairy at best when a distance away.

Upvote 0
I've never understood realism in games. Perhaps it is because I don't really care for the realistic versions of what the games portray.

My life gives me enough realism. I play games so I can do things that are not realistic.
Because "realism"(a term I've always found to be used too loosely in video game discussions) can improve the experience you have in a game, often ones about combat/warfare.

It isn't like anyone can actually just stroll over a block from where they live and participate in the Vietnam War, World War 2, or even any conflict that's happened in the Middle East. Nor, I would wager, would they want to since no matter how realistic a game gets it will always have one major appeal over live combat; the simple fact that if your avatar in a video game dies your heart doesn't stop beating.

On topic: While I am no big fan of the AR(and much less so of the original M16) gun jamming would probably take more away from the experience then add to it imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is RO2 realistic? I mean, we haven't really defined what realism actually is. I can run forever, I don't eat, I don't sleep, the "round/world" ends when the time limit is up, I break my legs jumping off a bunker and patch it up in 3 seconds, I walk up to a box of ammo and instantly get 6 mortar rounds, as commander I press "N" and resurrect my dead comrades who happen to teleport next to their squad leader, and there's plenty more.

I don't mean to say that RO2 doesn't have more "realism" than other games, because it does. I think there are unrealistic elements in most FPS' that make them playable, or even just bearable. Since I've never been an advocate for the extreme realism side, my question is: what is the end goal in realism? It can't be to simulate Everything a soldier goes through since that would truly be terrible, horrific, and often boring.

My mantra for FPS' can be summed up like this: I want to play a game that incorporates great graphics, realism, and map design, none of which detract from the typical conveniences of most FPS' to date.
In terms of realism, that means that I don't want random, naturally occurring hindrances to prevent me from fulfilling my goal. If there is a good argument for an additional realism feature that does not detract from gameplay mechanics that most players have come to expect as typical conveniences, then I'm all for it.

Upvote 0
In a arena type of fps, where your personal K (or K/D) ratio is an important aspect, I agree that jamming would be out of place. But not so in a game like RO, imo. RO is a team based game set in a war environment, and part of war is that sh*t just happens (be a blindly thrown nade landing on you or your gun jamming), which is what makes it great:p

Upvote 0