• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guest passes - BIGGEST MISTAKE!

Actually I'd say driving the vehicle is the easy part, gunning requires a knowledge of angle and range, plus against Russian tanks (sloped armour) the ability to hit a weak spot in the armour. If however these tanks had manual shift transmission and were a ***** to drive, as were the real thing, then driving would be a different matter altogther.

In terms of the actual mechanical skills (IE: aiming, visually gauging range and dialing it in, etc.), yes, gunning is harder than "Go forward, backward, or turn" for driving.

When I drive, at least on longer-range maps where driving actually matters, I drive unbuttoned a lot. Once we're in combat, of course, I'll button up, but until then, I'm unbuttoned usually. In those cases, I call targets for the gunner, too.

The thing about driving, though, is that it's not simply the mechanical controls that count. You have to also understand things like the lay of the land, how to angle the tank, hull-down positioning, how to travel undetected instead of in plain view, etc. Conceptually, I think driving is harder than gunning, although both skills are important.

That said, you can do a lot betterwith a mediocre gunner and a fantastic driver than you can with a mediocre driver and a fantastic gunner. In the end, it doesn't matter how good of a shot you are. Someone with more patience and situational awareness will EVENTUALLY flank you and take you out -- unless your driver knows his job well.

Most people drive as if they're playing like infantry. They haul *** directly into the cap zone (which makes sense on most infantry maps), but take themselves along well-worn paths to do so. They put themselves on the tips of ridges to get clear shots and wide fields of fire, not realizing that they expose their entire tank to fire AND highlight themselves against the sky. People like this usually pick up gunning quickly because it's not that dissimilar a skill from using the rifles. But driving requires a totally different mindset, and that's why I say it's harder. Not harder to actually DO, but harder to think differently, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Well, what I think it comes down to is that some new players can be annoying until they get used to the game. If it is because they have guest passes or just bought it, they may be unfamiliar with RO's gameplay and controls.

As far as those who try it and buy it, great!

Claiming it is a big, no, biggest mistake! is where people will disagree with you. Perhaps your choice of words was incorrect.

Upvote 0
Well, what I think it comes down to is that some new players can be annoying until they get used to the game. If it is because they have guest passes or just bought it, they may be unfamiliar with RO's gameplay and controls.

As far as those who try it and buy it, great!

Claiming it is a big, no, biggest mistake! is where people will disagree with you. Perhaps your choice of words was incorrect.

Perhaps so, but in my (and others) eyes is that newbies should respect people that have played this game longer then them and not ruining it. This is why in the army, people going "Rambo" with stuff they had never seen, got the boot. When i command soldiers in RO, i expect them to do as if it was back in the "Panserbattaljon" days.

Upvote 0
When i command soldiers in RO, i expect them to do as if it was back in the "Panserbattaljon" days.

who says you are the one to command? i usually laugh at people with such an attitude on the server.
But well, since you obviously take the right from "playing longer" i hope we meet on a server where you then obviously want to follow my commands...

Upvote 0
Maybe they did it in COD for bunnyhopping I cant remember anyways it was just a possible solution for a gamey aspect of the game. It has been a while since I have had physics but if I am in a plane going almost the speed of sound and run down the aisle I wont break the sound barrier. So I dont think that velocity is applied the way you said.

Actually yes you WILL break the sound barrier..relative to the air outside. No one will notice, however, because you aren't moving supersonic relative to the air inside the plane.

The solution for gamey aspects is not more gamey aspects. :p If throwing jumps are a problem just make them less accurate, that makes more sense.

Upvote 0
As a tank newb, I always try and take the MG position. That way I can enjoy the ride and stay out of the more experienced player's way. Im always careful to be mindful of when the driver/commander are trying to lay an ambush and not fire the mg aswell.

I've never been asked to get out of a tank and very often the driver/commander is polite and lets me have a go at doing one of those roles.

I've found that if you show respect and a willingness to learn - and not just take off in a precious Panther only to be blown up within 30 seconds, the vets aren't too stingy and are willing to share their knowledge. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
That's cool. Just don't go blasting away with the MG for no reason, even if you see an infantryman far ahead of you. Firing the MG is just a "SHOOT HERE" sign for other tanks. On the other hand, on a combined arms map where part of your job is infantry suppression (IE: Russians on Koenigsplatz, or either side on Hedgehog, Berezina, etc.) fire away. :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps so, but in my (and others) eyes is that newbies should respect people that have played this game longer then them and not ruining it. This is why in the army, people going "Rambo" with stuff they had never seen, got the boot. When i command soldiers in RO, i expect them to do as if it was back in the "Panserbattaljon" days.

I do not want this to misunderstood as me picking on Von Rausheim because I have seen this form of elitist attitude in game on more than one occasion.

However if I want to run off and not follow your orders that is my choice. This is a game and for you to feel like you have the right to tell ANYONE how they should play is just Crazy. The Game is here for people to enjoy and have fun with. If your clan chooses to ban anyone that doesn't follow your orders on your own server thats fine. But something to think about is that soon you will have either an empty server or a server with only clan people playing on it (maybe thats your ultimate goal). You should realize that the clan community is only a percentage of the total number of RO players and you will be cutting off the fresh blood needed to keep your clans going if you blanket ban new players or the players that play to have fun ...(NOT to be ordered around by someone they don't even want to really know) Most people I know have had enough of being ordered around by the time they get home and get on the computer and are not interested in listening to someone they don't even know order them around. I know I would have plenty of colorful words for someone that orders me around in any game. You really need to realize this is a game not a Job for a very large portion of the community, and they deserve to have fun playing the game just as much as you. Its kind of funny but I don't see any reason you all feel you have the right to yell and order people around the way you do. yes we need someone issuing orders but this is a game and if people don't follow them thats just how it is. Getting angry about it is not going to solve anything, you are not the emperor of the planet earth and that being said people do not have to listen to a word you say.

-Sabu

Upvote 0
the most annoying thing in ro, after xcessive teamkilling:

if someone enters your tank as driver and drives it away, just for the sake he is able to. no matter if you are in THE perfect spot. no matter if its THE perfect angle and you survived every hit so far without damage, no matter if you are safe from satchels HERE, but not over THERE, etc...

i dont mind if someone enters "my" tank and uses his brain and adapts to the gameplay.
but i REALLY HATE such idiots who just enter and drive away, esp if you in the DOMINANT position vs the enemy.

I entered first, I chose that position, I chose that tactic, so its just fair for the player who enters "my" tank, to adapt and not to force his way of play. I dont force other my way of play either.

(im talking about entering another tank AWAY from the spawn, sharing a tank from the beginning is something COMPLETE different!)

Upvote 0
All this Newb player/experienced player or even regular player stuff, just does not hold fast.

The simple reason being that we can all have off-days, I can assure you that it happens to me often enough :D.

The trouble with Newbies is exactly that they are new.
Anybody that knows the in and outs of RO will have a lot more patience with a new player and help him out, rather than having to deal with a regular player who thinks he knows what he's doing!

I doubt very much that a new or guest-pass player would even think of shouting "get out of my Tank".

As far following orders is concerned, you had better know what you are doing, because if you don't, I for one will give no heed whatsoever.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we are on the Internets, with many different languages being spoken at the same time.

I really like playing on the Russian servers, but if the Commander warns that there is a MG to the NE of Bunker 3, how the heck do you want me to know what he's on about ?

Tis but a game, to be played without mercy but a certain tolerance.

In my humble opinion !

Tanks !

Upvote 0
I do not want this to misunderstood as me picking on Von Rausheim because I have seen this form of elitist attitude in game on more than one occasion.

However if I want to run off and not follow your orders that is my choice. This is a game and for you to feel like you have the right to tell ANYONE how they should play is just Crazy. The Game is here for people to enjoy and have fun with. If your clan chooses to ban anyone that doesn't follow your orders on your own server thats fine. But something to think about is that soon you will have either an empty server or a server with only clan people playing on it (maybe thats your ultimate goal). You should realize that the clan community is only a percentage of the total number of RO players and you will be cutting off the fresh blood needed to keep your clans going if you blanket ban new players or the players that play to have fun ...(NOT to be ordered around by someone they don't even want to really know) Most people I know have had enough of being ordered around by the time they get home and get on the computer and are not interested in listening to someone they don't even know order them around. I know I would have plenty of colorful words for someone that orders me around in any game. You really need to realize this is a game not a Job for a very large portion of the community, and they deserve to have fun playing the game just as much as you. Its kind of funny but I don't see any reason you all feel you have the right to yell and order people around the way you do. yes we need someone issuing orders but this is a game and if people don't follow them thats just how it is. Getting angry about it is not going to solve anything, you are not the emperor of the planet earth and that being said people do not have to listen to a word you say.

-Sabu

Here, Here, and well stated Sabu! My sentiements exactly!!!!

Upvote 0