• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grand Theft Auto IV - Mega Thread - Potential SPOILERS

They did some really annoying sh1t to the PC version.

The copy protection and the account things is nearly the lesser evil. After one hour of installation drama you have to make stupid Windows Live and Social Club accounts then these sh!t accounts don't work because I can't connect to the stupid network and it feels like you have to be locked in ten times.

After finally playing it I noticed I can't change the graphics setting like I want because the game knows what is "best". I have a 8600 with 256mb vram but that seems not to be enough to run it in native resolution. So I am stuck to 800x600 and the rest is very close to the minimum too so it looks really awful, its like a really foggy day. The framerates are fine but what do you expect when you run a game with the minium settings even if your machine could do better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks Like i'll defiantly have to upgrade then. Shame after the 7800GTX has lasted me a long time, and It wasn't too long ago when it was at the top of its league. I'm going to look foward to Direct X 10 on my PC soon then lol. Also if Kettch is having trouble with his 8600, I doubt my 8400 GS( Uni laptop) will stand a chance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They did some really annoying sh1t to the PC version.

The copy protection and the account things is nearly the lesser evil. After one hour of installation drama you have to make stupid Windows Live and Social Club accounts then these sh!t accounts don't work because I can't connect to the stupid network and it feels like you have to be locked in ten times.

After finally playing it I noticed I can't change the graphics setting like I want because the game knows what is "best". I have a 8600 with 256mb vram but that seems not to be enough to run it in native resolution. So I am stuck to 800x600 and the rest is very close to the minimum too so it looks really awful, its like a really foggy day. The framerates are fine but what do you expect when you run a game with the minium settings even if your machine could do better.
There's two things you can do for that stupid video settings crap.

1. Lower your other settings until you free up enough ram to up your resolution.

or

2. Run with -norestrictions in the command line. That should work unless you're running the Steam version and then it doesn't work for some reason.

The video limitations have to be one of the dumbest ideas they could have put in to the game.

Upvote 0
There's two things you can do for that stupid video settings crap.

1. Lower your other settings until you free up enough ram to up your resolution.

or

2. Run with -norestrictions in the command line. That should work unless you're running the Steam version and then it doesn't work for some reason.

The video limitations have to be one of the dumbest ideas they could have put in to the game.

1. Does't work because I can't "free" enough memory

but thought that there was something like option 2. But in which shortcut do I put the command? (Because it doesn't work if I edit the GTAIV shortcut)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is great:

20 Easy Steps to Starting GTA IV on Your PC
http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Random-Ravings/20-Easy-Steps-to-Starting-GTA-IV-on-Your-PC

Step 1: "Tut" loudly as you are forced to agree to be part of the Rockstar Social Club; a Gamespy type program that must be installed before you can install the game.

Step 2. Wait for it to validate your DVD. Begin to install the game. It comes on 2 DVDs, taking up 16GB's of space.

Step 3: Growl loudly when asked to make a Microsoft Live account. If you haven't done so, be prepared for an arduous task in itself. Begin to cry.

Step 4: Wipe tears of frustration from eyes. Unclench jaw. Finish installing the game.

Step 5: Start crying again when you realise you must now make a Rockstar Social Club account. Do so while chanting a mantra of harsh words (language choice is optional).

Step 6: Go to email account to find validation code. See no email. Break something within arms reach.

Etc...

Upvote 0
1. Does't work because I can't "free" enough memory

but thought that there was something like option 2. But in which shortcut do I put the command? (Because it doesn't work if I edit the GTAIV shortcut)
Apparently getting that to work is a *****.

You have to apparently already be logged into the Rockstar Social Club prior to trying to launch the game that way. If you click on anything after trying to run the game with the -norestrictions parameter it ignores it and uses the default one.

So run the Social Club, log in. Do whatever you need to do and then try running it from the "RUN" command in windows.

Should look something like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions

But obviously tailored to your own file paths.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought aswell. I just wanted to point it out, nothing more.

Still thinking about whether to buy it or not. Some people with similar rigs as mine have said that it works on normal settings with 20-40 FPS. Since I've played the console version that is capped to 30 FPS, I think it's fine.

The Xbox 360 runs at 720P, the PS3 runs at even lower res.

That is one of the reasons there is bad performance on PC... some folks play their games at 19 x 12

Upvote 0
The Xbox 360 runs at 720P, the PS3 runs at even lower res.

That is one of the reasons there is bad performance on PC... some folks play their games at 19 x 12
They aren't running at settings their rigs couldn't handle unless they bypass the game's strict settings regulations.

It's just a horribly optimized, buggy port. That's all there is to it.

Upvote 0
Anyone with a 7900 series card who cant get the textures to load, try this,
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=30456

I am not saying it will work but it might.
It did for me.
Just remember to uninstall your drivers, boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper, kill all your old drivers, reboot and install 180.70.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone with a 7900 series card who cant get the textures to load, try this,
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=30456

I am not saying it will work but it might.
It did for me.
Just remember to uninstall your drivers, boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper, kill all your old drivers, reboot and install 180.70.

all that plus the instalation BS for a crappily ported game?

Upvote 0