• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give the Russians a Halftrack

A la Darkest Hour.

erm, no :rolleyes:

more like "A la" Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 (if i'm not mistaken, 1 year before DH even existed)......there was a mutator and custom vehicles for OST that allowed tank riding and extra passengers. if you haven't quite noticed it yet from being on these forums, you can find that a lot of DH's "innovative features" were already in RO, CC and MN. ;)

Upvote 0
OK, I really like DH, but:

I believe that AfterHourz were the first ones to implement tank riding. Also many other features found in DH were created first by either individual members or the other mods, CC and MN. You know, what -[SiN]-bswearer said.
No offense intended :D

But staying on topic - I suppose that I would prefer the Zis truck for the Russians because it would be more numerous. With the way TWI is implementing vehicles, it would (should) react more realistically to the environment and battle damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nothing is more immersive than riding in a Truck with many...many friends...6-8 guys. Arriving at the scene of a battle and some getting picked off. You duck behind the truck...and start to disperse into the battle.

This..is....exciting.

-

This game is apparently about realism but I don't think the game plays...precisely like that. However, You can have "Unbalance" in a game so long as it does not have stat tracking. With stats...everyone wants god armor with the god rifle and the god mobile. Because it will make them look better.

I know I keep mentioning this but stat tracking has such a huge impact on every game. It makes people play completely differently which ultimately...changes how enjoyable the game is.

Upvote 0
So recon planes are unrealistic for Stalinrad?

Recon Planes are realistic, but map with spotted enemies aren't. Even if there is some delay in updating enemy positions it's still unrealistic. I hope that time of delay will be about 10 or 15 second before SLs get that information.

Back to topic, I'd like to see:
- tank riding (however it would take a lot of time to make animations of climbing up/down infantry on tank)
- ZIS-2/3 truck carrier
- BA-64 "ClownCar"

Upvote 0
No offense intended :D

None taken. At least, not from you.

I'm clearly aware that much of DH's content was available in previous mods. But seeing as all this different content was concentrated into one entity I think it's just easier to reference said entity. It's like looking at a dictionary for a quick reference, couldn't you read a 8 volume set of books on almost any thing you'd want to look up? Yes. But it's much easier to use a dictionary.

This is how I think of that crappy little Western Front mod.

Upvote 0
Recon Planes are realistic, but map with spotted enemies aren't. Even if there is some delay in updating enemy positions it's still unrealistic. I hope that time of delay will be about 10 or 15 second before SLs get that information.

Back to topic, I'd like to see:
- tank riding (however it would take a lot of time to make animations of climbing up/down infantry on tank)
- ZIS-2/3 truck carrier
- BA-64 "ClownCar"

I don't think the animations would be too hard, just jump on and off.

I really can care less about what kind of HT the Russians get as long as it carries men from point A to point B I'm fine.

Why are you all talking about HT's when it's gonna be in a content pack weeks after the game releases?

Upvote 0
Yeah but what about for special missions though, like say a squad wanted to flank the enemy by moving around them, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be used for an all out charge straight into enemy lines.

Didn't really work that way. Transportation was for getting to the battle, not for moving around the battlefield. You didn't really find single squads executing independent maneuvers on a scale that's going to require independent transportation on a battlefield.

Upvote 0
Didn't really work that way. Transportation was for getting to the battle, not for moving around the battlefield. You didn't really find single squads executing independent maneuvers on a scale that's going to require independent transportation on a battlefield.

Yeah but what if its a really big map? In real life how far away did they drop them off from the battlefield? Was it a few miles or could it have been closer? I understand that they didn't spearhead assaults but some maps can be huge, and some of them were designed for light combat and reconaissance.

Upvote 0
Yeah but what if its a really big map? In real life how far away did they drop them off from the battlefield? Was it a few miles or could it have been closer? I understand that they didn't spearhead assaults but some maps can be huge, and some of them were designed for light combat and reconaissance.

You don't fight over huge areas with single squads of men. If you've only got a small unit, you don't break it up too much. You keep your forces concentrated, because if you spread out and the enemy doesn't, then he uses his concentrated force to individually crush your dispersed small groups. It's called defeat in detail, and it sucks.

As far as transport to the front ... with a truck, you're not going to go right up to where the fighting is. Your transport elements are just as valuable as - if not moreso than - your combat troops, because they provide your logistics support. You can't get food, bullets and replacement troops to the fight if you're putting your trucks in harms way and losing trucks to enemy fire unnecessarily.

In some areas you're not going to have any real choice. Artillery, for instance, will be pulled by a truck.

Half-tracks are combat vehicles, yes. They do belong on a battlefield, but they're still not generally going to be employed like cavalry, jumping around the battlefield.

Here's a good source of information on the employment of half-tracks in WWII.

Upvote 0
If the map is large enough where you could flank safely around them, then yes, as I said that's reasonable. Most of ROOST's maps though, aren't this big. Hedgehog, Smolensk, Rackowice, heck maybe even Ogledow, all use the transports basically as combat vehicles, which they're not.

If I recall, the squad that was using the transport, at least in the case of the Germans, often detached the mounted MG and carried it forward with them.

Well Peiper's troops would attack Russian positions with halftracks at full speed with machine guns blazing, effectively using them as "combat vehicles"... thus earning the name "blowtorch battalion" (cause the MG fire would set the Russian rooftops on fire)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well Peiper's troops would attack Russian positions with halftracks at full speed with machine guns blazing, effectively using them as "combat vehicles"... thus earning the name "blowtorch battalion" (cause the MG fire would set the Russian rooftops on fire)

It seems more like some transports were used entirely for transport, while some were used for light combat, don't tell me that a half track mounted with 2 MG's couldn'thold its own against infantry, or that the one Russian armored jeep with the MG on top wasn't meant for combat, in fact they were even used as AA guns....

Point is while light vehicles weren't used as Warthogs in Halo, they were used in combat sometimes.

Upvote 0