• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free week is over - and future plans!

Lol that's the funniest post I have read for ages...If you think TWs support is bad then try the support for CoD2...it seems some people just can't engage the grey matter when it comes to posting on a forum and end up posting absolute S**t instead.
So there are few outstanding bugs and TW have said they will be fixed unlike those in other major titles like CoD2 where the developer has even stated some very major bugs just won't be fixed.

This game has been out since 14th March...Mmmm let me think so far we had 3 patches an SDK release and a brand new file system to speed the game loading times?
The Devs are constantly posting and helping people on this forum day in day out and have created a huge fix list for people having problems with the game.

AND ALL FOR FREE....

Now if you'd like to find me another Developer who has done that for a single title in just 6 months from release then be my guest?

WORD

Upvote 0
Butch is right, the only other development team that i'm familiar with that has a similiar track record of product devotion is Paradox.

Try relic, they have good product devotion.

I won't say that tripwire's devotion is bad at all, it's very acceptable, a patch every 2-3 months, couple of fixes and little bit of new content is very good devotion, if you're a small development team like tripwire. But to make it sound like they're the most devoted people to their game? I wouldn't go that far.

Relic as i can say, has a very good record of fixing issues that effect even the minority of people and making sure their games are playable for all, and adding many maps- without waving a flag in front of the community's face. Tripwire has done well with their patch release dates, and i respect that because they are a small dev team and simply do not have the resources to support the game any better than they currently do.
But what i dont like is the propaganda :).

Wilson, if i am not mistaken, RO has only been patched twice since its retail release (two patches that added a few things i think..)- which was March this year, so in five months, 2 patches. Good work for a small team, but the patch size and bugfixes have not been too impressive. Don't get me wrong, thank you for the bugfixes and not charging us, but i don't see how far out of the ordinary this is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeah... You have been great about fixing some things... but why add in stuff like smoke grenades and teh carbine with the bayo, while there is so much other stuff that should take priority, especially the smoke... ****ing smoke
Feel free to elaborate. You say you have a problem with smokes, but I don't seem them being used as much as people believe they are. There's also a mutator for servers to use if they really want.

I'll never understand why people are complaining about free, additional content. Yes, there are other things that need fixed, but even with the fixes that were included people tend to think that absolutely no other fixes are coming, or that bug fixes happen in a matter of seconds in all cases no matter how complex things may be.

Upvote 0
Wilson, if i am not mistaken, RO has only been patched twice since its retail release (two patches that added a few things i think..)- which was March this year, so in five months, 2 patches. Good work for a small team, but the patch size and bugfixes have not been too impressive. Don't get me wrong, thank you for the bugfixes and not charging us, but i don't see how far out of the ordinary this is.
Firstly - we never said it is "out of the ordinary". This is how we believe it SHOULD be. We just can't resist a dig at all those who charge for their updates, those big companies with big budgets who still don't fix stuff :)

So, lets see. We're currently patched up to 1016. That is 16 releases of "things". Some of those aren't even visible to everyone, some are server-side fixes only. Some ended up being batched together to push out.

1. Spent the first couple of weeks fixing the initial bugs that surfaced, finding fixes and work-arounds for everyone; worked with Zonelabs and AOL amongst others to fix strange things happening

2. One released patch - Fixed bugs related to memory leak, recoil issues and some users missing motion blur

3. Released patch for the Servers, including Linux servers to cure stability issues

4. Released the full SDK

5. Fixed issues with Zonealarm (and chased Zonelabs around till they produced a proper fix), releasing temporary fix (and for other firewall issues)

6. Next update/patch - Added two new weapons, French and German language, added in stuff for modders, stopped nades killing tanks, changed BA64 physics, complete optimisation of the art to reduce load times, worked on armour/penetration as requested, fixed bugs with the sniper scopes, blank firing guns, plus a whole bunch of other fixes

7. Released new Steam file system for RO, to improve load times.

8. Latest update - new map, smoke grenades, changes to tank reloading, changes to victory conditions, fixed VOIP bugs, bouncing off prone players, telefragging etc.

Now, we aren't saying that is "a lot" per se - but it is not too shabby for a small team, that is purely self-funded. It amounts to 8 separate "released patch things". That is one about every 2-3 weeks since release. Now, some are big, some aren't. They all require work, they all require testing - all chews up time.

Ok... rant has been deleted: John says I shouldn't post responses at past midnight, when I've been working 15 hours - I'm not supposed to rant at the forums :)

The summary is that we have free patches/content planned through the end of 2007 and fully expect to go on doing the same well beyond that. We don't charge for bug fixes and patches because we don't believe people should. If people get to charging for major expansion packs or episodic content, then they should obviously be well worth the money and NOT divide the communities - but that is a whole other discussion about "reasonable pricing for games and add-ons" that we won't indulge in here :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
perhaps what it boils down to is money. as we all know time is money. it seems that the more copies of the game that are sold the better the chances for quicker and more broad updates. FYI upon release i bought a second copy of the game to share with close friends who kinda want to check out the game before buying it. they get to play against me online for free for a bit before they almost always buy the game. kinda like the free week we just had but with a bit of a mentor. this is an idea for those who would like to really see the game grow and yet keep the rampaging noobs ROPlayer at bay? i have seen this to be a great way to bring buddies into RO. who knows? perhaps some sort of contest to see who can bring more new players to RO is in order. i imagine most players dont want to see their action drying up.

Upvote 0
Well... Here goes.. wish me luck...... ... jump...

I have absolutely no problem paying a reasonable amount for a subtantial CONTENT pack.

Its fantastic that tripwire dont plan to charge players anymore once they have bought the game. But if they spend six months producing a content pack of, say, 10 maps, 10 new weapons, 5 new vehicles, and all the textures, animations, coding etc that goes with that then I would pay 50-80% of original game cost quite happily.

However it is reasonable to expect bug fixes to address things preventing the game functioning properly, and bonus tidbits along with the patches are GREAT:D

Upvote 0
i think the game was cheap and good value and have no money issues, never have. my only issue is with the prioritisation of selling more games and making infantry maps, when the tank battle is barely functional [but still fun to play - just so close to a good thing but not yet !!??!!]
anyway, i just wanted to clarify what my gripe is, can we start working on the BUG LIST ?.

please remember that it took a month to get my game running and had to throw away my [aus]$ 100 firewall to play it, so i'm ok with wasting money to play a good game..... just please debugg tanks !!!!
i appologise if i've been rude to any body on the forums, but if the devs just answered this question once and for all, they wouldn't need you to argue for them when u have no idea what they're doing anyway.. i have to play in U.S. servers full time now, tank games barely exist in australia now :(
i've never had to play overseas in any game ever before..... it kinda sux

Upvote 0