• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free aim on iron sights needs to go

Sure you can, you just don't realize it. :) Lie down and sight your rested weapon on a corner, doorway, window or some other place you anticipate and enemy to come. Now you are free to look around the map. If you catch movement at the corner, doorway, window....click your mouse. No need to re-acquire your sight picture. Its already there. Not going to happen elswhere.

Well sure you can place your weapon in the place already to have more ease in firing it when someone comes there. But i always still need to look through my sights and make adjustments or it will blatantly miss, unless its a really small corridor.

Personally most of the time if the enemy can come from a left or right side i put my sights in the middle aiming at a wall or something useless. So i can quickly move it to the left or right, aim and fire.

However this wont change by having or not having freeaim at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it?

freeaim.png

I hope this clarifies my point a little lol.

what i love so much about this diagram is just how angry they both look.
is this representative of your war face, Reise?

Upvote 0
really?, since when?

ARMA also have weapons, just like RO, let make the new game without weapons

no, my point was about keyboard dancing and ****ty unintuitive systems of pressing a thousand buttons to do slight things that should be done naturally, and IS free aim in ArmA1 was one of the only few good things that game had, and it wasn't even as good as it was a bit more exaggerated that I would have liked it.

RO never had free aim on ironsights. It is a new addition to the series with Heroes of Stalingrad.

You're really reaching for straws if you think you're going to weasel your way out of your ridiculous point by arguing semantics over what "free aim" means. You know I meant in sight mode. ArmA does some things right, some things wrong, just being associated with ArmA has precisely nothing to do with whether or not it is a good feature. Concede this point and you'll fare better with your next response.

By the way, I consider free aim in ironsights to be clunky and unintuitive, I want it locked to an alt-function because of that. If you want your free aim, fine, push a button, but don't make my movement clunky and unresponsive just because you want to fulfill a stupid idea based on a preconceived notion of reality.

Upvote 0
Let's also not forget that in Ost and in Iron Sights, the sights already move to your breathing (sorta) even while braced against something for more stability. Don't forget that the longer you hold Iron Sights the more the sights sway and go out of alignment from where you want to aim.

The iron sights already move enough and in the new RO, there's the talk of the sights actually moving exactly with the timing of your breathing...... add on top of this the idea of free aim while in Iron Sights, while all of the rest of this is going on, and I think game play is going to be seriously affected, and not in a good way.

Unless you're up close with an SMG, I have a hard time visualizing exactly how one is expected to hit anything at a decent distance with all this additional crap getting in the way.

When does a game no longer become a game, but just a mere Simulator that's more complicated then the real thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
free aim doesnt make things more complicated for the user.

You still have your mouse you move it at the enemy target and click, new breathing things don't complicate things further anyway either. Wether guns randomly sway or in rhythm with the breathing doesnt make the game more complicated.

No, it doesn't make things more complicated generally for the user.

What it does is it makes turning more difficult if the turning is directly dissociated from the free aim. The free aim from the hip in Ost Front actually turns the players camera in addition to moving the gun from the hip freely. If this is the case in Red Orchestra 2 I won't find turning terribly awkward in RO2 just like I don't find it terribly awkward in Ost Front. However, if there is a zone in which moving the ironsights is completely free from the camera movement or in which it takes a larger amount of movement to turn the same amount versus a locked sight control scheme, that will make turning terribly awkward.

Check out 2 minutes in on this Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex footage for the Wii:

YouTube - Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex - Online TDM - 43-11 vs Ownalot!!

You'll notice it has free aim both from the hip and from the ironsights. That's not the problem. The aim moves COMPLETELY free across the screen until you nearly reach the edge with the target reticle at which point it begins to move the camera. The result is incredibly awkward movement, these players move like a bunch of blown up Willy Wonka blueberry balloons. If the sight mode is implemented in any way like MW:Reflex, the result will be INCREDIBLY AWKWARD MOVEMENT. I want a 1:1 relationship between the movement of the camera and the movement of the ironsights, if that relationship is breached we will get Modern Warfare Reflex ugliness.

I don't really care about the relationship between the center of the sights and the center of the screen as long as my turning is not affected by a floppy sight picture and giant turning radius.

However, I maintain in any case that free aim in ironsights of any kind is unrealistic. Your eyes look down the goddamn sights. If they're not, you shouldn't be in sight mode. Period.

Upvote 0
As far as i know and what it looks like in the video the freeaim used is similar to the freeaim used while hipping.

Aka its not that first only the gun moves and then your bode. Its that your gun moves at a different speed slightly than your body does till it reaches its max.

Of course if moving your mouse would not immediately make you turn as well then the freeaim would be highly awkward.

Upvote 0