• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forum suggestion: List of things people should stop suggesting

Vaecrius

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Burnaby, BC
members.shaw.ca
As suggested here. Somehow it was decided that I be responsible for initiating this, because I happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I claim no exclusive ownership of what I post below and if this gets stickied I'll consent to any mod edit made in good faith (e.g., no replacing everything with "HI I'M VAE I LOVE HUSK COCK" or something).

There've been a lot of things suggested for KF. Here's a list of some things you'll learn to avoid suggesting after reading this forum for a while.

1. Your favourite weapon

Your favourite weapon sucks. Please, just no.

To be less of an arse about it: Killing Floor's weaponry has been very carefully selected and tweaked over the years so that each and every weapon has its own clearly distinct set of advantages, disadvantages, and unique strategies within the context of the game. This is years of development since the old days of the KF mod, and chances are if you've only had the game for a few months you will not be treading any new ground with your suggestion.

If you don't see a certain combination of weapon features in any weapon in KF that exists in a real-life modern infantry weapon, presume that it had been actively tried and rejected, or what makes it distinct is impossible to model in the UT2k4 engine.

1a. Your favourite twenty weapons

Now not all weapon suggestions are awful, but we've all seen way too many suggestion posts in a manner of "Hay, plz add these guns" followed by a huge list of random company names and model numbers.

There should be a reason beyond "It'd be cool to have". Most of the time these sorts of posts come up there isn't even any reason at all - just the list, as though going through all the trouble of modelling, scripting, recording, animating and testing a whole bunch of new weapons with similar or identical functions to other ones is self-evidently worthwhile.

It's not.

2. Female player characters

I honestly don't know why this is, but both the forums and the mods are mysteriously hostile to this suggestion - it's resulted in almost as many locked threads as complaints about the October 2010 M14/SCAR nerf. My speculation is that the suggestion tends to bring out all sorts of bad vibes simply because everyone's coming into it with a lot of baggage from years of seeing sexist bullcrap in other gaming communities. KF's is pretty mellow (even compared to itself from a year or so ago, from what I can tell from an old thread I found on this issue) but the suggestion rarely makes it on without a few things bursting into flame.

(Anyway, as a quick fix since this'll apparently never happen, DJ Scully's secondary sexual characteristics tend to get concealed under all the stuff he wears, and the slightly too clean-shaven Trooper Jenkins looks kinda femmy if you turn down character detail.)

3. Stuff to make the game easier

KF runs on an older engine and is developed by a smaller company and is one of the less expensive modern FPSes on the market. This means that compared to Big Gaming-produced FPSes it tends to attract two kinds of people: the oldschool super-l33t types who've probably attempted at least one serious Doom Nightmare-mode speedrun in their lives, and the older more casual players who come in with little sense of being entitled to win even against a computer opponent. Neither type feels comfortable being coddled, and frankly we're not only insulted but kinda creeped out when people make suggestions that betray a deep-seated sense of expecting to be allowed to win just because they paid for the experience. So please... learn to get better and play on "beginner" more often even just to train your headshot skills and familiarize yourself with the stock maps.

4. Fancy pantsy druggie crap for the medic

The medic tanks and rescues people and heals them. The medic is not a priestly magic man who blesses the war party and gives them wondrous visions of the enemy or whatever. The medic's job is to save your life.

Really, this goes to a lot of stuff beyond weird arbitrary buff suggestions for the medic. One of the most salient strengths of KF's gameplay is that its core rules are very non-gimmicky: you have a bunch of guns, you're thrown into a cage with some zombies, kill them and try not to die. The rest is technique and situational awareness and strategic time/resource management, not fancy gadgetry and overcomplicated artificial approaches to achieve the same old ends. Think baseball more than fly fishing.

As a rule of thumb, the elaborateness of your suggestion is inversely proportional to the chances of it being seriously considered by anyone else... or another way to think of it: if you can't articulate your suggestion without making lots of sweeping and complicated changes, it's because you're having trouble justifying its incorporation into KF.

5. Any suggestion, however reasonable, if you make it like the world owes it to you

You don't have all the solutions. Neither do TWI, nor the more experienced players or forumites, nor anyone else who does or might post on this forum. We've all got something worthwhile to contribute, however small or big. But sometimes people think what good they have to contribute isn't enough, or don't know what it is, and instead bring up a huge amount of other stuff that is really more geared towards filling their own egoes than making the game better. It's guys like that that get hurt the most, lash out at people the most, when others respond to the suggestion they worked so hard on with a big fat no. Step back every so often and check, and if you're being one of those guys tone it down a bit, and remember that everyone's got an asshole and they all stink.

Last edited:
its definately deserves a sticky position....but it was a little hostile, and your personal opinions kinda show (not very complimentary for a sticky). For example; I have seen far more people suggesting COD or CSS weapons than the medic boost (which I didn't know that you apparently hated with the fury of 1000 suns).

But nonetheless, I trust that sticky-powers will come through in the end. However, may I add these ideas:
A Riot Sheild

A perk for pistols

A machine-pistol

Some facy real-life machine gun that'll never work in the game

Giving a buff to the m14

A scoped medic gun

and many more, I assure you.

Upvote 0
Searching before posting is a good idea. Already a sticky mentioning it. A lot of repeat subjects are because of some of the new people wanting to see something but don't want to do a little searching before posting.. Not a good idea, since it is like holding onto some raw meat and jumping into a shark tank. Setting your posts up for a good burning isn't a good idea.

Requesting new guns it is probably better to go over to the modding section and -search- there first. Some talented modders have put up some custom weapons that are playable via mutators.

Female characters aren't planned to be added ever, apparently. So don't ask for them unless you plan on making the models, and doing the voice commands/emotes for them. Even then, I wouldn't keep your hopes up about it. Play the UT 2004 mod version if you'd like females, which is as good as it will get.

If you are going to suggest something, think it out first. Does it really fit Killing Floor? If you "think" it does, how could it be balanced so it doesn't over power or unbalance the game. Not for just one difficulty, but all difficulties. Also ask yourself how much work do you think it would take to do it. If it is a lengthy outlandish thing then it is probably best to just keep it to yourself.

Also, having done your homework (searching) has it been posted before already? If so then it is a subject beaten to death and no one here would really like to pour their brain power over the keyboard again to tell you why they don't want to talk about it. Again. So you will save yourself and the rest of the community the trouble, just let it go.

Now it isn't that everyone doesn't want to hear some new idea's or some creative suggestions. Those are actually quite welcome. Just make sure to present it as a suggestion or a proposal if you will, and not as a demand.

Already suggested things :
-Every gun featured in Call of Duty, Counter strike, Team fortress 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2. (Thread someone is porting those guns over in the modding section, search for it. )
- Many other odd guns that aren't in video games.
-Female Models
-New medic gadgets that really don't fit the medic.
-Countless dual wielding requests (for a lot of guns)
-Countless perks
-Attachment gimmicks like laser sights and scopes. The M14 is the only gun with a laser sight and its likely going to stay that way until Tripwire decides otherwise.
-Molotov cocktails (MANY MANY MANY times. Firebug grenades are the same thing)
-Steroids (Running faster, doing more damage.. etc etc. Done to death.)
-Big guns
-Changing the LAW (It's staying. Weight may be a subject still but... again search, post in an existing thread over starting another subject on it. )
-Weaker creatures
-Berserker weapons/abilities
-PERK Abilities (Unless you feel there is a problem with a current perk, adding new abilities is going to be frowned on. There are mutators that add different perks/abilities to the game search for them.)
-Uncessary nerfs/buffs to existing weapons. (unless there was a nerf/buff in a patch recently don't suggest something to be nerfed unless you have really sound reasoning as to why. )

If there is something you would really like to see, learn how to mod the game. Or go to the modding section and make a proposal there. Start a team, ask for help. There are plenty of tutorials and various other how-to all over the internet and forums for the UT 2004 engine.

Mutators - These mod the game settings. Allow for special circumstances. If you really want easy mode, play on beginner. Or if you're not feeling up to leveling all your perks to level 6, you can solo/LAN play with a mutator that gives you level 6 perks. (Found here : http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37999 )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Machine gun perks

Silly gimmick-based perks

Sarcastic perks to degrade other perk suggestions

Weapons that are in every game

Random sh.. stuff that's incredibly difficult -if possible- to implement

Flying specimens

Your favourite CoD/L4D/FPS weapon

Massive compilation posts of the above stuff

Your opinion about balancing, new weapons, or similar

Everything everyone else has said condensed into a single post, written in large, badly coloured text

Reasons why you think the M14 needs to be buffed

Reasons why the Xbow needs to be nerfed

I think that's it, off the top of my head remembering the last few months. :)

EDIT: riot shield and/or perk to go with it. Also, any shield in general.
EDIT*: Posting 1-2 line threads. This is a big no-no and is just annoying because it lacks depth and justification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Riot Shields(http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37999)
- Gas Grenades
- Flare Guns/Flares
- Glow sticks
- Extra Flash Lights
- GPS Maps
- Faster Running/movement
- Different Spawn points
- "EASY" Anything

All Posted before. All been given reasons why they wont be changed or featured in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well for the life of me i dont understand whats so hard about taking the male character models in blender3d or 3ds or something and pulling out the chest vertices and make some breasts on those rather simple mesh' , allow a sex type tick box in character selection. and maybe record some female voice just the same as all the male voice commands. I would nvr suggest completely new stand alone fem character models. just the option to choose your sex.. cmon people its 2010. not 1950.

My wife complains about it all the time & asks over and over "when will they add some female choices here this is wrong" i dont have the answer for something so simple not bieng done and as far as "it shouldnt be suggested" i think thats rediculous and you should understand a bit more about game creation , then you would see how simple it really is and go 'OMG SO EASY'

i hope when things arent on the high priority list that there are high priority things ahead of it that we dont necessarily know about. But honestly i do not think tripwire has much left for this game anyways.
The community and its wild confusion have actually dammaged this game beyond fixing. yes you all of you & i do not think it was in tripwires best intrest to take any of you seriously & i seriously hope they dont or we wont be playing killing floor anymore it will be killingfloorstrikefortress2reachwarfarevegas4dead.. my point is..its lost its identity in this confusion.. stick to the basics people

Upvote 0
My wife complains about it all the time & asks over and over "when will they add some female choices here this is wrong" i dont have the answer for something so simple not bieng done and as far as "it shouldnt be suggested" i think thats rediculous and you should understand a bit more about game creation , then you would see how simple it really is and go 'OMG SO EASY'

Wrong? I'm a girl and I really don't understand the big fuss about wanting female characters. This is a budget FPS, not an MMO or something where you get to pick and choose your looks, gender, voice, whatever. I don't have a problem with it per se, but if your wife honestly feels wronged by the lack of a female model you can't even see in first-person, perhaps she needs to spend more time focusing on and enjoying the game.

Also, excellent list. :IS2:

Upvote 0
@timur: What's hostile about the OP? There's definitely flippant and snarky stuff, sure, but I don't see anything inappropriately confrontational.

As for the medic gimmicks, that just happened to be the most recent "thing" on the forums. The meat of that item really starts with "this goes to a lot of stuff beyond weird arbitrary buff suggestions for the medic".

@lawszepie: Take that crap somewhere else, you're actually making suggestions and not contributing to this thread with that.

@CandleJack: ...I thought the idea was to list the stuff that's proven to be utterly pointless to suggest, not merely what the regulars are sick of seeing. :p

@Deafmute: I think it's more the "principle of it" more than any gameplay or aesthetic need. Principles tend to bring out the biggest flamewars. :X

That said, I really can't help myself here... @praxis: My understanding of TWI's position is that they're being perfectionist about this and are waiting for a time when they have nothing else scheduled but to sit down and re-do the entire set of player animations. I hope it's just OCD/procrastination/a token excuse not to do something that has no effect on gameplay and will get a flood of complaints from at least one vocal minority no matter what they do, rather than a genuine belief about some fundamental Mars/Venus difference between the sexes or something.

Also, without adjustments to the rest of the upper body adding boobs just looks like a big burly dude with bad pec implants. Believe me I've tried. D:

@9_6: That's another reason why I want to make it short... so people can skim it quickly without losing too much, and also so people can quote it. :D

Upvote 0
Wrong? I'm a girl and I really don't understand the big fuss about wanting female characters. This is a budget FPS, not an MMO or something where you get to pick and choose your looks, gender, voice, whatever. I don't have a problem with it per se, but if your wife honestly feels wronged by the lack of a female model you can't even see in first-person, perhaps she needs to spend more time focusing on and enjoying the game.

Also, excellent list. :IS2:
I agree, the lack of female characters isnt' a problem, but for someone who played the mod before the game was released, I miss the female character diversity they had in the mod.

Upvote 0
4. Fancy pantsy druggie crap for the medic

The medic tanks and rescues people and heals them. The medic is not a priestly magic man who blesses the war party and gives them wondrous visions of the enemy or whatever. The medic's job is to save your life.

Really, this goes to a lot of stuff beyond weird arbitrary buff suggestions for the medic. One of the most salient strengths of KF's gameplay is that its core rules are very non-gimmicky: you have a bunch of guns, you're thrown into a cage with some zombies, kill them and try not to die. The rest is technique and situational awareness and strategic time/resource management, not fancy gadgetry and overcomplicated artificial approaches to achieve the same old ends. Think baseball more than fly fishing.

As a rule of thumb, the elaborateness of your suggestion is inversely proportional to the chances of it being seriously considered by anyone else... or another way to think of it: if you can't articulate your suggestion without making lots of sweeping and complicated changes, it's because you're having trouble justifying its incorporation into KF.

If you wanted to rage about my thread you could have just done it there, lol. But since you brought it up here I guess I will respond to it here...

I didn't want "priestly magic" either which is why I suggested the side-effects for the medications to make it more realistic. I also suggested a long duration for the medication so that the medic doesn't have to run around drugging people, but can focus on healing like usual. Lastly the medications were available to all classes, so a medic could just decide not to mess with them at all and let other players medicate themselves if they so choose.

The point was to expand the role of the medic a bit and add some variety to the game. If you don't like the idea because it seems to gimicky and you think that the game should focus just on the basics, thats fine but I don't know if everyone feels that way. I thought it would fit in seeing how you are fighting against creations of a bio-military-tech company; it would make sense if there were some sort of experimental combat pharmaceuticals that were available.

The reason why my post was so detailed was to avoid the sort of critique you yourself posted, but I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining my reasoning there. The idea was a bit complicated because I think being a real medic dealing medicine in combat would be a bit complicated. I honestly don't think it is too much. It is true that simple ideas are often the best, but I would rather see more detailed post than those that are like "add this gun" without explaining why it should be added.

Reactions: timur
Upvote 0
Okay, also, a few more suggestions that come up plenty of times

A uber-powered medic gun (as if the medic needed firepower)

Napalm mines (not to bad. in fact, Ive heard that coming from people in game....but it is suggested quite often)

Sniper scopes for all weapons

laser sights for all weapons

and underbarrel nade launchers

the last 3 are nowadays just plain ignored.

Upvote 0
Two of my most fave weapons ever are already in KF :cool:
So don't you dare post a suggestion for them. :V

@Dead: It might seem I was referring to your post specifically, but I can assure you yours is neither the first nor the last time someone suggests a variety of medic boosts. Basically Gibby's response to your thread is correct: these buffs will open a huge can of worms in balancing issues, which is a huge factor in why I personally value simple, limited-scope gameplay with reasonably restricted space for variation among a player's options.

Also I'll second what Jester and Sammers said in that thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0