• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firefights / Sway? (questions)

RedStorm said:
Dude, saying a soldier's mental state has NOTHING to do with how he fights is just silly. His mental state is probably more important than his physical state. NO ONE in his right mind would pop up when an MG is firing right at the little crate he's hiding behind.
I think this is a bit of a misinterpretation of what I posted. DrGuppy was using the argument that running makes you tired, so why shouldn't bullets cause you to **** your pants, but my argument is that running out of breath is entirely physical, whereas suppression is mental (although physical effects are due to the mental effects).

I agree that the mental state is a lot more important than the physical state. Even in a fist fight, the mroe mentally prepared person wins because the one who is more mentally prepared can handle the adrenaline dump and can apply techniques more practically.

RO from my perspective, simulates the average soldier, resulting in every soldier having the same reload time and the same length of running. Sure, some soldiers reload faster than others and some soldiers had higher percentage of fast twitch or slow twitch fibers IRL, but exceptions haven't been made in RO. So perhaps with this logic, suppression would make sense to be implemented.

People are talking about how they don't want the game telling them they're suppressed, but the thing is, the average soldier will experience the effects of adrenlaine. It's up to the player to shoot back and overcome the increased swaying. Again, there won't be exceptions for the one soldier with a suicidal mindset who won't experience the effects of adrenaline.

Upvote 0
Reise said:
I'm not sure about any of you guys but when I aim my rifle while crouched (this is in real life) my aim is pretty solid, and doesn't get much worse over time. Same goes for prone aim. And I'm not even a casual shooter.

It's the standing aim that gets wavy/jittery after time, especially after firing.
Yeah, the swaying gradually getting worse after 10 seconds is ridiculous. Yes, sway might get more noticeably worse after about 2 minutes, but definately not after 10 or 20 seconds.

However, prone and crouched positions are more stable than a standing position, although your sway won't go from binded to the screen to wild swinging in 10 or 20 seconds.

Upvote 0
well, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt this game have some form of shell shock? IE: a tank shell hits near you, but doesnt kill you and so your vision gets blurred and you lose you hearing momentarily? If this is the case then why shouldnt there be a similar effect when numerous bullets are flying over your head?

And about people saying that, "well its all mental," I say, let's get together sometime, and you can have a rifle, and I'll take the high ground and a machine gun, and we'll see whose pants shall be shat in.:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
So, now that we know a lot more about Ostfront...

Is this going to be in the game? Will firefights finally last realistically long? Will players have to fight for every square meter of ground, and will fire superiority, supressive fire, squad- and flanking manouvres finally play a bigger role? Will battles become more intense as a result of this?

Devs? Pretty pleeaase? ;)

All I can say is trust the Devs;)

Upvote 0
Strange that nobody has mentioned America's Army. in this game players have a little green bar, which shows their combat effectivness: healthy proned soldier near his officer is really a killing machine, but if someone hit him, he won't be able to shoot a wall in front on him. The same (a little bit less extreme) goes for supressive fire - it is usual tactic when few soldiers (especially if one of them has SAW) pin down enemy and then kill him - even if he would pop-up, he couldn't get them, because of that indicator.
Would be nice if ROO had such feature.

Upvote 0
yeah, i have played Americas Army before, and i really liked that when bullets were flying past you, the "combat effectiveness meter" would drop so that you would be less accurate, and even if you did go into iron sights the gun would be moving around a lot more than normal, so it would be hard to hit anything at a distance.

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
I like the idea of suppressive sway if it's at a reasonable degree.
What would you define as a reasonable degree? I define it as some added sway which also has a rougher apttern, although it would still enable you to make a lucky shot. However, the person who is laying down the suppression will have a greater advantage over the suppressed person, unlike in RO.

I don't want something like America's Army. I definately don't want cone of fire handling stuff like suppression. Besides, it's still easy to shoot back under suppression in America's Army.

@cobra: Yeah, the "I want realism, not Quake 4" argument is weak because it would be a lot more unrealistic if I was stricken with arthritis every time my gun was at my hip.

Upvote 0
Just read the whole thread.

Hip shooting is certainly realistic, although someone said only within a metre. Surely he is kidding too. I'd say from one end of an average room to the other is certainly suitable for hip-shooting, and I believe this is where SMGs are at their best. When you gotta take out a room full of guys, I don't think the iron sights method is the one to use.

That aside, I was reading this and decidely that the supression idea was a good one if implemented in a minor way. But then I thought, hey, if its too easy to pop up and shoot at an MGer, then the aiming should be harder so the player himself is actually too scared to shoot because he knows his chances are poor, rather than his character is affected by some sort of suppression which doesn't actually represent the players skill. This way, skilled players and noobs won't be in the same boat, as one will be too scared to try it, and the other will be cautious but if feeling confident, may just pull it off if lucky.

The point is, don't punish the player who knows he can do it but his character is forced to feel "fear" through the game - instead make it that much more difficult to do so that he himself feels cautious about doing it. This way it will feel more like its you yourself that you are playing as, not like your controling someone else from inside their own head.

Hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0
luxurious cobra said:
you've got to be kidding me . . .
no i dont think he is.
i for one hate the current hip shooting aswell mainly because of the ppsh (aka the noobcannon)
the distances hipshooting is still accurate at are increadible in the game at the moment.
the 'get shot in the head 20 meters away by the first burst from a fast moving hipper how just popped around the corner' gets old really fast.

luckaly the free aim area in RO:O will be "easily twice as big" (in the woords of the dev's)
which should bring accurate and repetable hipshots down to a more realistic distance (you can still get lucky ofcourse) hopefull to something under the 10 meters.
and if they add some more sway to hipshooters on the move i'll be a happy man. (if you cant hit anything while in IS mode and moving like a snale you definatly shouldnt while shooting from the hip at a jogging pace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
take out hip shooting and i wouldn't play. It at least takes skill in RO unlike most other games.

I find the SVT(maybe g43 too. I never use the g43) hip shooting WAY to accurate. 1-3 quick shots from it and i can hit someone from far far away jsut as good as with sights. I dunno how to fix that though.. once you have a good sense of where the gun is pointing then you can hipshoot with any gun since there is no big cone fire like games usually have.
It's supposed to be realsitic.. but i don't think hitting someone 50yards away with the SVT from the hip is realistic. IRL I don't think you can see your target and how your gun is pointing to it when it's at the hip so well.
So while the hip shooting is realistic, how well you can tell where your gun is pointing isn't.. Cause IRL your eyes would be focused on the target and you just see a bit of the gun in your peripherial vision. Though I guess IRL you'd have a better feel for where the gun is. But still, point stands, I dont' think people could hit nearly as wellfrom the hip at long ranges with the SVT than I can ingame.

It does take alot of skill to hit from long range with the SVT at the hip with like perfect accuracy in RO.. but it's also fairly lame once you master it, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who says we're taking out hipshooting? This thread is about suppresive fire and firefights:p

I can see where you're coming from though, hipshooting should still be in because it happened, it's just that it should be a lot harder. Rumors say it WILL be harder to do...

Oh and lol, you guys are taking Lemur way to seriously, that's a bad thing to do - believe me. ;) Don't worry, you're not the first.;)

Upvote 0