• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire & Maneuver Realism Mod

Pressing a button activate something that would come as an automated thing in real life is somehow unnecessary to me and gamey.

I agree but if you want your feature to be included without being buggy as hell then it's kinda the only way. Otherwise people are gonna be randomly moving fast when they are behind sandbags... which is ridiculous. And we need to be gentle on the modders - because based upon vanilla release I'm thinking HoS is a hard game to work with.

Upvote 0
I agree but if you want your feature to be included without being buggy as hell then it's kinda the only way. Otherwise people are gonna be randomly moving fast when they are behind sandbags... which is ridiculous. And we need to be gentle on the modders - because based upon vanilla release I'm thinking HoS is a hard game to work with.

Well I am only throwing ideas around to discuss them if they would benefit the mod, not demanding anything. I see no problems there, but I am not a programmer, so I really dont know how hard would that be to implement.

And why would people move fast behind sandbags or any other cover? This fast sprint would be only activated when you are actually sprinting,that is when you are holding the key down.

About the stamina, I think you should be able to run as much as you want, or at least for a good long time. But as soon as you stand still, you will start breathing very deeply and fast. This will totally distort your aim. It's you who will have to interpret how long you are going to run. In situations where you need to get out you can still run, but if you run in the wrong situation you might end up exhausted behind your gun when you have a clear shot on the enemy.

No indicators, except for heavier breathing noises when running really far.

I think that's realism.

That stands also, because well, a fit human being can run for pretty long (and i mean running not sprinting) but what I mean is adding a new running speed.

Let me explain it this way:

jogging=normal movement

running=holding shift(the mod creator already stated he will decrease the overall movement speeds so this will probably be slower than the sprint is now in ro2.)

sprinting=holding shift while you are suppressed and under fire (you would run faster because you would fear for your life, this speed should be slightly faster than the current sprinting speed in ro2 is now. ) However, this speed would clearly have severe penalties on your soldier like I explained in a few posts before.

Upvote 0
Feature List:

Suppression and Morale
- Increased sway, recoil, and other stats when suppressed
- Increased aim-snapping making returning accurate fire more difficult
- Louder bullet whip/whizz (As proposed by Nezzer)
- Morale system will be based on proximity to squadmates and teamleaders
- Low morale will produce, with longer duration, the following effects on players;
  • Flinching (bullets passing by you cause you to flinch more)
  • Shakiness (Increased sway, and recoil)
  • Tunnel Vision (FOV/Zooming reduced and Depth of Field causing the sides to blur out)
  • Desperation (Double vision and color desaturation)
these are fine
Weapon Systems
- No ranking bonuses, everyone wields the same weapon
Not every one is the same with their weapons as every one else, and not all weapons are the same.
- Increased recoil and sway when weapon is not rested
- Fatigue will impact sway and recoil more
Resonable

Code:
- Detacheable bayonets
I do not understand why this is of any real impotence for so many, in real life I do not think their going to march up to ~200 meters of the enemy and then randomly half of the platoon will bring out bayonets...

Code:
- Zooming will be decreased, but some zooming will be present to simulate focusing.
this is stupid, yep lets make every one near sighted for realism...:rolleyes:

- Weapon lag will be increased (time it takes for the iron sights to line up)
- Weapon lag will be added when moving between crouch and standing (as proposed by Proud_God)
- Bringing up sights will take longer and will be off center
No real issues, Though I wonder if TWI has modeled the times it takes off the ability's of trained soldiers while not in combat, over the the ability's of thoughs in combat. When not in combat (I.e. training) one dose not have to worry about getting shot at, so aiming should be easier, and you can take as much time, not to mention less pressure on you.
- Weapon load-outs will be balanced with an emphasis on rifles
- A new Elite Assault class will be created that will feature just 1 MKB/AVT for each side
Well historically each platoon was given 4-5 SMGs and 4 LMGs (Germans gave SMGs to all squad leaders and platoon commanders, the Russians just squad leaders, platoon commanders had a pistol... Both sides had a single LMG per squad unless your a German panzer-grenadier squad which had two). A few assault and semi auto class's (like two each) would be ok.
- General movement speed will be decreased
Why? Though FYI sprinting is about 5m/s (18kph), this is based of the fact that it takes 15 seconds to cover 75m, which is also the max sprint time. Though "walking" the same distance only takes 25 seconds (3m/s or 10.8kph).
- Reloading will take longer
- Melee will be less lethal, rifle butts will take several hits to kill
- Random weapon jamming requiring a reload to fix
No problems here.

Health System
- Bandaging yourself will be more lengthy and less efficient
- Teammates can bandage you at a faster and more efficient rate
- Wounds may re-open if a lot of force is exherted
- A Medic class will be added that will produce the most efficient bandaging
- A shot to the arm may drop your weapon
- Arm wound will adversely affect recoil and sway, as well as reload times and sighting
- Leg wound will either reduce stamina drastically or limit the player to prone or crouch
- Getting hit at all will cause a substantial jerk or other effect
- Being wounded will lower morale, causing suppression to effectively be more ponounced
Some of these can be good, but others may not be as good as they seem, It was more irritating to have your weapon shout out of hand in RO1 than anything good, particularly how often it happened.

Though the medic class is in of it self is a controversial class. Both sides at company level did have a medical person available per platoon, though their not quite combat medics (often only armed with just a pistol...).

Cover System
- Ability to get into cover from Prone
- Different animation for engaging from corners (exposing yourself less)
- Ability to go crouch when dug into a corner. (As proposed by Trips)
- Lowered posture to ensure completely hidden from cover
- Prone will have a peak feature with appropriate animation
no real issues

Squad and Teamwork
- Suppressing an enemy will award points
- Killing a suppressed enemy will award both the killer and the suppresser additional points
- Following orders given by a superior will award points
- Infantrymen will have a new animation where they point at a target (As proposed by Ritter)
- Team leaders will have compasses
again no real issues.

Reactions: Zookerman
Upvote 0
this is stupid, yep lets make every one near sighted for realism...:rolleyes:

No it's not. Artificial and unrealistic limitations imposed upon the avatar ultimately result in more reasonable, calculated, and realistic gameplay that more accurately simulates WW2 firefights as opposed to peek-a-boo-killstreak gameplay we have right now.

Even though the zoom will mean the human eye isn't being replicated as accurately... the reduced accuracy will mimic real results as opposed to this 99% accurate Michael Jordan super soldier BS we have now.

This feature, along with a lot of others in the mod, are aimed to recreate moments that occured in Ostfront. Which, although containing less features oriented towards realism, ultimately has better combat.

The OP has stated numerous times that he doesn't care about realism, he cares about creating WW2 style fire fights.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=70485

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=70641

Upvote 0
In order to make the gameplay realistic you'll have to remove certain realistic features in the game simply because It is a videogame, and therefore, people will play it as a videogame - and that's the core problem here. If we want people to play RO2 in a more realistic manner we'll have to only include features that hinders us to play the game unrealistic. Otherwise every player will play it however they want simply because there is nothing that neither hinder them or punish them for doing so.

Upvote 0
In order to make the gameplay realistic you'll have to remove certain realistic features in the game simply because It is a videogame, and therefore, people will play it as a videogame - and that's the core problem here. If we want people to play RO2 in a more realistic manner we'll have to only include features that hinders us to play the game unrealistic. Otherwise every player will play it however they want simply because there is nothing that neither hinder them or punish them for doing so.

Very well put, as was Grizzly's post before. If you take the pursuit of realism to its logical end you end up with people literally being shot, blown up and pyschologically scarred. What we're trying to do here is recreate the way combat happened without going to that extreme. This may well mean certain "gamey" aspects have to be introduced in order to remove the "gaminess" inherent in the current game

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
Code:
- Detacheable bayonets
I do not understand why this is of any real impotence for so many, in real life I do not think their going to march up to ~200 meters of the enemy and then randomly half of the platoon will bring out bayonets...

Why? Though FYI sprinting is about 5m/s (18kph), this is based of the fact that it takes 15 seconds to cover 75m, which is also the max sprint time. Though "walking" the same distance only takes 25 seconds (3m/s or 10.8kph).
lol the bayonets idk why people are concerned about that when there are much more glaring problems around but you know all in all it's not a hard change to make

sprint should be sprinting yes but as it stands now between the movement speed and narrow (including non shift zoom ironsight) FOV room-to-room cqb is not viable and not fun; slower movement speeds would change that as well as allow commanders and squad leaders time to enact plans. why slow it down? to bring RO2 out of the arcade mindset and into a great teamplay one.

Upvote 0
I think that lockdowntimer should be removed in this mod. I can dwell into details about that but I think everyone understand why. Increased timelimit should also be nice. I think the max timelimit right now is 20 minutes or so which is nothing. 0-999 minutes would be awesome. If this mod was well done I could pay for it as long as TWI doesn't get any of that income. Because what we're doing here is basicly that we're discussing how to make RO2 more like RO should be.. which should be TWI's job and not ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mysion
Upvote 0
- crewmen can exit tank like in RO1

I really don t see why this would be required. When the tank crew bailed out they either retreated instantly to get new vehicles or if that was not an option surrendered. If they add this it would likely result in players abandoning their damaged tank and searching for weapons to fight like normal infantry, thus wasting a slot for those who actually want to tank and hurting their team by having fewer tanks.

Upvote 0
I really don t see why this would be required. When the tank crew bailed out they either retreated instantly to get new vehicles or if that was not an option surrendered. If they add this it would likely result in players abandoning their damaged tank and searching for weapons to fight like normal infantry, thus wasting a slot for those who actually want to tank and hurting their team by having fewer tanks.

Yeah, maybe. It's not really required. The other 2 suggestions I feel more strongly about.

Upvote 0
I think nearly every change there is amazing. The only 2 things I would have an issue with is;

- Melee will be less lethal, rifle butts will take several hits to kill

I think for gameplay purposes a melee hit to the back of the head should always be a 1 hit kill. I feel it's realistic too because if someone is so open and vulnerable they would not have a chance if taken like that in close combat. It's frustrating ingame when you do get the drop on someone only to have the spin around and light you up after you got a full bash to their skull.

- Random weapon jamming requiring a reload to fix

Please make that a server option. It's something rare and completely random which is bad if some players want a competitive atmosphere. It's like in RO1 when random artillery could decide a match. It frustrates the losers and cheapens the victory of the winners. I know war is not fair but you might as well have soldiers randomly go into shock and be unable to move or shoot.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
I know war is not fair but you might as well have soldiers randomly go into shock and be unable to move or shoot.

That would be amazing! Heck, add a feature where if your moral is too low your in game avatar drops his weapons and surrenders.:D

I remember my first game in close combat 5, where I went what the as my squads started to surrender when approached by the enemy. Later I realized that your men could run out of ammo:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To give you guys an update, I am currently in the final phase of production for an iPhone game I am working on. The SDK still isn't compiling apparently, so I haven't really done much more, I'm not even playing RO2 because I'm pretty busy.

I am reading all of the suggestions and comments and keeping them in mind. Once I get through this stretch run, I'll have all the time in the world to dedicate myself to the mod. Thanks for the interest.

Upvote 0