• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fear of death, what methods are there?

Yep a big problem of getting fear of death is not advancing, and some classes needing to attack more than others and would result in dying more.

*coughs*

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -General George S. Patton

I think the same should apply to RO :cool:

Upvote 0
3.) Much as I dislike other aspects of the game (IE: conefire, spammy gameplay, dolphin diving, unbalanced vehicles, etc.), BF2's squad system really is pretty damn cool. At the very least, it gives you the tools to work together, and gives people some extra points for doing so. While the point system could still be abused, without anything other than who has top score at the end of the round at stake, I'd have MUCH less of a problem REWARDING people for doing the RIGHT thing than punishing them for doing the wrong thing.

Agreed with this. I've played BF2142, and the squad system really allowed for teamwork to prevail when the players were willing.

Upvote 0
Yep. I really think that's the solution to the problems of "rambos" and such. You encourage teamwork. Not by punishing a LACK of teamwork, but by showing that people working together really will benefit, and giving them the tools to do so. Score rewards will also work for the score-minded players out there.

There's already plenty of people who will work together if they get a sense that there's real teamwork to be had, and people who will at least try some coordination for the sake of the team winning. The trick is getting everyone ELSE to follow suite and work together, and the way you do that is by giving them points for doing so.

The squad/commander system in BF2 allows the commander to issue orders, and a squad (and the commander) to get points for accomplishing the mission. Squaded players also spawn on the squad leader rather than at some other point, which discourages the SL from being a rambo idiot and killing his team's mobile spawn. Likewise, it encourages class diversification so that you've got a guy who can resupply, a guy who can heal, a guy who "kills stuff good", and a guy who can blow stuff up, etc.

In RO, you could have a squad system that allows small-unit communication specifically with the squad, that lets you coordinate movements, and which gives you some extra points for getting things done as a squad.

Something like that would make people move as a group, work together, etc. Well, not MAKE them as in gun-to-your-head, but encourage them, which is about all you can really do.

Upvote 0
The question is as a player do you get more satisfaction taking 20 guys out from a thousand yards with a sniper rifle or bayoneting a single soldier you've tracked for 20 minutes into a corner and watched his face wince as you push the blade in.

Do you really want to simulate that?

Should be neither...players should be getting into the capzone, and using their weapons to achieve that. Tracking and killing individual soldiers is not helpful to the team winning. Killing them when they are preventing you from capping, or to prevent them from capping is all that matters.

Fear of death can't really be achieved in a game. Besides, each time you die, a new soldier appears, part of the reinforcement pool, so it's not like it matters if you die or are wounded...you just get ground into the mud as your replacements trod over you on their way to the objectives. :D

In an objective based game like this, making individual players want to stay alive more than helping to get in a cap despite the risk would just detract from the teamwork.

Upvote 0
how about you recieve awards and/or when you kill X amount of germans in one life. like
1 kill = scout
2 kills = private
3 kills = something better then private
etc.
In the more important titles there can be only one, so you'll have to make more kills so you recieve the next title that is not taken.

When you die you have to start from scratch.

Upvote 0
Let me just say there should be a "cower in the corner", "piss your pants" and even an "athsma attack" feature. Because if I were in a real war I would be doing all of these.

With that said I don't think there is any way you can bridge the gap between real world war II and a computer game. I don't think you can bridge the gap with any war. War is different, and I think you don't know it unless your in one.

Upvote 0
Ok, I didn't read this entire thread just to see if my ideas were mentioned. I hope this hasn't been suggested already.

The easiest way I can think of to implement the fear of death is with score. And the best way to do this is by an easy stat ratio reading for every player.

One way to easily do this is to have a positive negative readings. If you have killed more than you died your score reads red. If you died more than you killed you're in the black with a minus next to your name.

Couple this with point penalties for dying and positive points for staying alive. And this should motivate people to fear death, or be on the bottom of the score card in the black.

So then you say, well some people don't play for score they just want to win. Well the end game can have different winning conditions. Or classifying the team that took all or defended all the zones. Such as a casualty listing, or victory descriptions as in; Exceptional, Good, Fair, poor. Victory conditions could be; take all 4 cap zones with as few casualties as possible.

Upvote 0
how about you recieve awards and/or when you kill X amount of germans in one life. like
1 kill = scout
2 kills = private
3 kills = something better then private
etc.
In the more important titles there can be only one, so you'll have to make more kills so you recieve the next title that is not taken.

When you die you have to start from scratch.

Thats a pretty good idea, I thought it should be re posted...

Upvote 0
That would only make public play even more boring. Imagine Tcherkassy, Kaukasus or Basovka when nobody attacks. :rolleyes:
That happens even without penalty for death / bonus for staying alive.

I have nothing against long respawn times. Just dont force me to run a marathon to the battle.

Thats my opinion on the "fear of death" subject. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0