• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Elevators

Zombies like to push all the buttons

Zombies like to push all the buttons

I've got the elevator working but I've got problems with:
a) Zombies entering the elevator (via an overhead elevator shaft spawn) on the top level and making it go down, when they have no business going down, i.e. they should be attacking the player on the top floor (I'm guessing they do this because the top floor is keyframe 0 and the zombies think they can't get through it unless its keyframe 1/2
b) Zombies calling the elevator from the bottom so if player fights on bottom and wants to go up, you can be half way up when a zombie calls you back down again.

I think I need to either:
a)make it so only players can use the KFUseTrigger on the elevators?
b)disable the useTriggers from being reused until a certain amount of time has passed, i.e. the elevator has reached its destination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK.

Never mind me guys, I was making things harder by using regular KFDoorMover and trigger. Marco had given the perfect information all along and I ignored it just because I had no experience with those actors... So I did it his way and very happy with how it works now. The zeds don't use it well, but at least they aren't getting stuck as such. To anyone else who comes down this road, my advice would be to use KFElevator as per Marco's example. But, if elevators aren't really needed by your design, avoid them altogether due to zombies not using them and therefore possible exploit.

Upvote 0
I want to do my elevator the same as this (door in front of the lift at both ends). It appears the elevators have been disabled in the latest version of Filthscross, so I can't refer to that. What I have is a lift shaff and the elevator inside the shaft is a KFDoorMover, and stops only at top and bottom. With a use trigger at top and bottom, it actually works quite well. Zombies don't use them but that's not really a biggie in my map.

But to wrap this up I really need doors at the top and bottom floor, one option is to make them KFDoorMovers and give them the same tag as the elevator. I'll do this if I get desperate, but what I really want is for the doors to open and close after the elevator has moved. The more I think about it the more I think it won't be that simple, but how can I make a ordinary Mover consume the opening and closing events triggered by a KFDoorMover?

If this is scripted events then its about time I got into that anyway, so if anyone knows a good tutorial or thread that would be a good start.

For the mover event you have to put in this
Closed Event: TopDoors
Closing Event: BottomDoors
Opened Event: BottomDoors
Opening Event: TopDoors
And obviously set the top door tags to TopDoors and vice versa with the bottom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doors work, I can show you, you can download my map and copy paste the lot.

However, the elevator doors can be destroyed, and it appears there is no way to stop this, once destroyed, they then appear and you can walk through them into the shaft.

The other problem with elevators is people can go up(zombies walk around), go down(zombies walk around), go up(zombies walk around), go down(zombies walk around).

Its an exploit in other words so I am going to disable by just using a blockingvolume everything else is functional if you want to use this go ahead.

Upvote 0
im glad to see people are still working on the elevators =3 i will be using one in my map, if i get it to work i can share =3

any ways i was workin on my elevator today just setting it up as a mover with 4 keys

i think im just using a normal mover and normal doors,

but any ways i went to test my map just to see if i positioned it right and if it was enterable so i didnt have any triggers to call the elevator, but any ways as soon as something steps on it it moves up currently, and it works when speciemen walk on to it as well, and if all the doors are open they jump off out the door closest to you i found, ( i have no nodes yet or triggers as i have stated before) alot of my map remains unlit but if any of you want to take a look at it i could upload the rom file for you guys to test and tell me what i should change... im still working with the textures so some of the ones i have are place holders. and the proportions might be fixed later...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeah im going to try, especially because im really good at finding exploits XD

yoyo, your elevator is great although i did find one small problem,

you step in the elevator and hit use so the doors close, go between the doors and the elevator goes down while your in the doors and then you can just jump down the shaft ect

i can make a video if you want

RO sauce or w/e your name is lol sorry i didnt look at the spelling before i replyed

would you be able to make your explanation more indepth and what each does? and how to place them?

i am new to the utk/kfsdk so i dont know where stuff is ect,... i mean i could look but it would help if you could tell me too =3

after taking a look at macro's post i understand a bit, lift exits suggest to stop at this floor and so on, i dont know how to set it up or even make the eleivator go to the next floor up or down.

originaly i wanted too try making a trigger that activates on damage, so you could have a so called panel and choos what floor you wanted by shooting the button or something while your in the elevator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well After i get done with my map and can find a site to post it on you will get your wish. I call it KF-RC-Umbrella Corp. Skyscraper and i got the idea from you dude. But does any one know a free site i can upload my map onto for people to download? If so please tell me! so far it has 5 door mover elevators and its coming on good so far! but let me know about the site!

Upvote 0