• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedi-Server wont allow me, as the host to play, but others can.

CJwarrior

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Parkland, WA
So I am sort of fed up and probably lost more strands of hair after trying many hours of potential fixes and such, now im tired, couldn't sleep, now im writing this and possible go back to bed.
I have set up everything, tried making the ports +5 more and still nothing, clients can join it fine and all, but I cannot at all, I couldn't find my own server on the gamelist, and I also tried connection via console with the "open ip" command, and still nothing, just doesnt even connect, now I am just questioning whether this has to do with Windows 8 or not. I never had this issue before, and I have been hosting a Dedi-Server for KF already 4 times on the same machine what I play KF on, no problem, but now this.
Sorry if it may sound like a mess, im tired and stressed. Now im off to bed.

I just tried to edit the firewall by putting all the server ports in, still no dice.

Last edited:
Are you using the correct IP for yourself? Most routers do not allow to use the WAN (Internet) IP and are forced to use the LAN (local) IP. I got my latest router and this problem happened to me. Just use the local IP and get everyone else to use the WAN IP.
Like the 10.0.0.x one? I just tried, still no dice. Still not sure if its because of the IPV6 interfering with the ipv4 address.

Upvote 0
Just tried, it didn't really work. I tried the command and all it did was just make a spacing and thats all.

Yeah I just tried localhost as well on my install. Didn't work. I had to use the IP of my computer.

Are you sure you're using the right IP? Open a command prompt and type ipconfig and copy IPv4 Address entry.

I can also see my local server in the LAN tab.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just tried localhost as well on my install. Didn't work. I had to use the IP of my computer.

Are you sure you're using the right IP? Open a command prompt and type ipconfig and copy IPv4 Address entry.

I can also see my local server in the LAN tab.
Im pretty sure that would just connect to the lan server. The LAN server always shows if you are hosting. But its that for some reason I cant join my online server, which isn't the LAN one.
Also, I just tried and it did sort of work, but im not sure if im in the LAN or Public server.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure that would just connect to the lan server. The LAN server always shows if you are hosting. But its that for some reason I cant join my online server, which isn't the LAN one.
Also, I just tried and it did sort of work, but im not sure if im in the LAN or Public server.

Wait what? You have two servers? Where is the other server hosted and why are you trying to host on locally if you have one hosted else where?

Upvote 0
Wait what? You have two servers? Where is the other server hosted and why are you trying to host on locally if you have one hosted else where?
Nonono, here is the thing. Correct me if im wrong, but when you make a server, it makes both an LAN and a Public one, the LAN one you dont need to forward ports, but the public one you need to do that.

So I just noticed that when I typed in my LAN ipv4 address and the webadmin port at the end in my browser, I somehow managed to access it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nonono, here is the thing. Correct me if im wrong, but when you make a server, it makes both an LAN and a Public one, the LAN one you dont need to forward ports, but the public one you need to do that.

So I just noticed that when I typed in my LAN ipv4 address and the webadmin port at the end in my browser, I somehow managed to access it.

They're the same server. Since it's visible on your LAN (has a local subnet) then it shows in the LAN tab. It's not two separate servers like you think. If players are on the server then they'll show up on both the LAN and WAN server tabs.

The reason you can't connect to the WAN (public) IP address while on your LAN is because your router doesn't support NAT Loopback. Therefore you have to connect using an internal (LAN) IP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They're the same server. Since it's visible on your LAN (has a local subnet) then it shows in the LAN tab. It's not two separate servers like you think. If players are on the server then they'll show up on both the LAN and WAN server tabs.

The reason you can't connect to the WAN (public) IP address while on your LAN is because your router doesn't support NAT Loopback. Therefore you have to connect using an internal (LAN) IP.
So you're saying that the server was working the whole time and I didn't even realize it? If so, that is some mind**** right there. But then again, im not much when it comes to the connections part, just only setting up stuff.

Upvote 0