• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour Press Release: DH Manual

german-soldier-wwii.jpg

That other guy is wearing regular overcoat and that MG gunner might wear a parka jacket, for some reason that picture makes it hard to tell.

Two of them are wearing regular Dot'44s (not a winter uniform), one seems to be wearing a tarnjacke (older model of camouflage item (which was never declared obsolete)) and that one seems to have actually 'proper' winter clothing (earlier production model).

And again same applies with this, those two looks quite Dot44's and just regular overcoats. Not specific winter camo items seen in anything you linked here, not even plain snow overwhites :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm so they didn't know that it could be cold or start snowing in the middle of december? ;)

belgium is in a tempered climate, it can get cold but we don't even get snow every year.
but the problem that year was that we had one of the coldest winters ever recorded, never before had it been so cold and was there so much snow.
and even then i think it's likeley that the germans didn't have enough proper winter clothing for everyone. thats why they stole warm clothing from american prisoners and dead bodies, wich gets you executed if you get captured with enemy clothing.

some units did evbentually got white camo smocks in january, but it made them undistinguishable from enemy units, americans even painted a big red bar on their back to be recognisable.

we have planned on making american trenchcoat models, and new german models that wear camo smocks and accurate equipment.

edit: here is a link to a thread about the "lost" map with some screens. http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27294

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the guy on that picture generated alot of discussions, he is from KG hansen wich cleared the way for KG peiper.
the picture was taken after the "poteau ambush" many pictures of him and others were taken and the battle was reenacted to let the propagande film it.
the guy is an ss, wearing a US raincoat, carrying a dagger and a belgian colt pistol.

last i heard he survived the war and now lives in the USA and never wanted to comment about his experience.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That other guy is wearing regular overcoat and that MG gunner might wear a parka jacket, for some reason that picture makes it hard to tell.

Two of them are wearing regular Dot'44s (not a winter uniform), one seems to be wearing a tarnjacke (older model of camouflage item (which was never declared obsolete)) and that one seems to have actually 'proper' winter clothing (earlier production model).

And again same applies with this, those two looks quite Dot44's and just regular overcoats. Not specific winter camo items seen in anything you linked here, not even plain snow overwhites :p

Ah I forgot about the snow overwhites -

overwhites.jpg

Anyway the point I was trying to make regarding the axis winter uniforms was just mainly about the
toque (tube scarf), I do hope the DH devs will include this essential piece of garment represented into their axis winter models -

kopfsch.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
info will be posted later, but around Midnight French time TONIGHT.

They are using stock RO animations for the nearest match to each Weapon, so say Thompson would use the Mp40 for instance, ( not sure if that is the one we are using, just an example) Thats why it looks like they are not holding them correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0