• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Complete freezes/lock-ups

Hi voxmanIL2:

Can you try this (see below):
  1. Log on to Windows with administrative privileges.
  2. Click Start->Control Panel->System.
  3. In System Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
  4. In Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  5. In Startup and Recovery window, click Edit.
  6. In Boot.ini, add the /NoExecute=AlwaysOff option.
Example Boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

Have you tried running the game in OpenGL mode?

To run the game in OpenGL mode, do the steps below:
  1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\your_username\red orchestra\System. In System folder, look for the RedOrchestra.ini file and open it using Notepad.
  2. Use Notepad's Find (CTRL+F) to search for [Engine.Engine] section. Put a semicolon in front of the currently active render device, e.g.,
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice

3. Next, remove the semicolon in front of the OpenGL render device, i.e.,

RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

4. Save RedOrchestra.ini and close it.

Note: Make a backup of your RedOrchestra.ini first before making any changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No joy kamikaze:(

I had already put in place the NoExecute command in the Boot.ini from a previous post in the forums.

As far as going into OpenGL, I tried this awhile ago, but I still tried your method as well. Again the game freezes right after it goes from the battlefield situation splash screen and to the screen which you pick whatever side you want to fight for. Mind you, this has all been done in Practice mode. I have not tried multiplayer.....maybe I'll try this tonight just to see what happens.

Anyway, I do appreciate your diligence in helping me out. I work in tech support for a manufacturer that makes devices that are computer software dependent, so I understand that you have to try everything to get some software to behave.

Upvote 0
Hi voxmanIL2:

The only thing left that I can think of is program conflict. But which program? Hmmm.

Most of the problems with Red Orchestra are program conflict, e.g., Zone Alarm, Norton, Lock Folder XP and Folder Lock. There could still be other programs conflicting with Red Orchestra that we still do not know of.

Well if I am encountering the same problem as yours, what I will do is to install Windows XP in another partition or a second hard drive and just install Steam and Red Orchestra. If it works the freeze is not definitely cause by hardware but program conflict.

Upvote 0
No joy with OpenGL for me either.

And I can already tell you that this is definitely not, for me at least, a hardware issue. One of my Windows installs on this precise machine had no problems whatsoever. that hard drive has since corrupted, so I've done a "clean" install on another hard drive, and now I'm having the problem again. It has to be a software thing... But I really haven't installed that much software...

Unless it's an optional something from Windows Update? Hmm... Other than that I've installed Steam & games, X-Fire, Winamp, Windows Media Player Classic, Irfanview, Catalyst Control center (I doubt it's the video drivers, I've gone through so many permutations of them in testing...), Google toolbar, Project Visitor, Rollercoaster Tycoon, DotNet 1.1 and 2.0, Flash 8, TightVNC (Ooh... I wonder... I'll try that one next.), Windows Media PLayer 9, WinRAR, SoundMAX drivers & control panel, and DirectX 9.0c.

So. Any of that look suspicious?

Upvote 0
Okay, Kamikaze has been teaching me how to do a Kernal debug via PM, so I'm going to try that this weekend. Who knows, maybe I'll turn up something usefull...

I've also PMed one of the Tripwire staff to get someone to have a look at our problem.
Anyone turn up anything new? I've installed new old video drivers with no result. *shrug* Worth a shot...

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
Athena, could you enlighten us what that change is please?
What I mean is, what kind of CPU did you have before and what kind do you have now.
sure, my bad. Since I started this thread it's the least I can do. :)

I went from a P4 2.4Ghz Northwood (socket 478), OCed to 2.88Ghz with Ai Booster (an amazing Asus utility allowing you to OC on the fly from the desktop) to a P4 3.0Ghz Prescott. It's a big fraud (basically a P4 2.4 OCed to 3.0Ghz by Intel...). Anyways, 478 based systems are dying and this upgrade is the last one on this comp before I give it to my bro and go for an Athlon 64 rig.

Note: I was also getting the freezes with my first cpu running at stock speed and what's strange in all that is that the freezes appeared out of the blue, I didn't have any during the beta, neither during the first weeks playing OstFront.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I have this hunch that the overclocking may well have been causing your problems before. :p

Congrats on the fix, though. Unfortunately, I'm not in teh financial position to upgrade my CPU, nor do I have any spares lying about that would fit this mobo. Unless I soldered some K6-2s together... I have quite a few of those... ^_^

Upvote 0
So, I've basically done everything one could do by now which includes:
reinstalling XP Pro SP2 x2 (two installs on one comp, one for office, one for gaming)
rebuilding comp w/ new mobo
new CPU
new RAM
new PSU
new IDE cables
exchanged my "old" (4 mo. old) MSI NX6600GT 128MB for a new one today
additional case fans incl. one going right over the graphics card
old drivers / new drivers, WHQL/beta/3rd party optimized (omega etc)

Result: nothing

was able to play for 3 straight hours today without any hiccups, then, on Bondarevo, sitting in a Pz.III I switch from external view back to gunsight and *freeze*. Great *sigh*. After a hard reboot and the usual checking of HD i want to go back into the game, connecting on a Barashka server, waiting for my buddy in a tank, maybe 2 mins in game this time and *freeze*, this time, oh joy, with BSOD and error in nv4_disp.dll.

Btw. no, nothing is overclocked o_0

Upvote 0