• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat Mission series!

As a Combat Mission noobie, would preordering that badass looking Steelbook edition be a safe buy? I've briefly played the Barbarossa demo years back and remember the strategic options being extremely detailed. Is this kinda guaranteed to be the same kind of hardcore, excellent attention to detail, game or is it more like it's probably awesome but we need to wait and see type deal?

Upvote 0
It's 1-1, whereas Barbarossa was abstracted... So instead of just seeing a "9" go to an "8" and hear a scream on your infantry unit you see the tracer hit him in the chest and see him crumble. The armor penetration calculations are also much more complex. Urban warfare is a bit abstracted still though as BFC obviously can't model a bunch of furniture in every building and have infantry squads executing a perfectly coordinated Rainbow Six style storm into the room ;).

There are downsides though... BFC have focused too much on Real Time mode IMO... and have yet to include an "auto-pause" RT mode (game pauses every 60 seconds to let players overview the situation, adjust orders etc... then you play another 60 seconds in RT). They have stated that this is "on the list" though and might even be patched in. If not, it'll show up in a module. WEGO tcp-ip will also not ship with the game but is "on the list" as well but apparently is a much bigger programming hurdle than the auto-pause RT mode (which I'd prefer anyways, best of both worlds IMO),.

On the upside the QB purchase system will be better... now you can attach units to whatever formations you want (i.e. stick a Sherman under the command of a infantry platoon leader). Bonuses for being in comms range with an HQ unit are less obvious than in CMx1 (no more heart, star, lightning bolt, or question mark) but they are more complex and very obvious if you test it. (one guy pitted a platoon in full C2 with its HQ against one out of command and the in-comms unit decimated the other... IIRC there were like 15 casualties in the latter platoon and only 2 or 3 in the former after only 3 minutes... both units were in trenches about 150 meters apart)

Also a couple things like no more random map generation for quick battles... the maps are too complex to have that work apparently since forests etc. are not abstracted anymore (i.e. your tank shell might miss its target and hit a tree and blow it up). Also, there are a few LOS issues BFC still needs to clean up. Pathfinding in CMx2 however is much better than CMx1 IMO (was not at release, but it's been heavily patched).

Also different style of campaign. In CMBB you played "Operations" where you might fight over the same battlefield over several days and have the frontline (set up zone) move after each battle depending on where your units are. (this was a bit glitchy though cause you could have a truck up by itself way deep in enemy territory and this would sometimes give you a totally distorted frontline). Now it's much more linear, each mission on a different map, though losing a mission will result in an altered version of the next mission. (at least that's how it worked in CMSF NATO). Units get carried over too obviously (so if you lose that tank platoon early on you might be screwed later in a mission that employs them)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is an excellent QB AAR, and I feel the guys pain with the PZ-IV.

Even in CMBB or CMAK I avoided PZ-IV due to their not being very useful. I'd rather go with an assault gun (Stug-III or IV). They are cheaper, smaller silhouette, some have sloped armor, thicker armor and better guns.

My favorite has to be the Jagdpanzer IV "Guderian's Duck". Sloped armor, good gun, low silhouette, of course the draw back on these is the lack of a turret, but I rarely find this to be an issue. It is all about positioning and timing.

Man I can't wait for this game, they just need to implement the WEGO system for TCP/IP soon, as in now.

Upvote 0
Ya Stug III platoons with a panther or two and a couple pak40s providing overwatch from a covered position was the way to go. Those things were dirt cheap in CMBB. I usually liked to throw a StuH into the mix as well... nothing like seeing those HE shells blow the living crap out of enemy infantry :D.

Upvote 0
Ya Stug III platoons with a panther or two and a couple pak40s providing overwatch from a covered position was the way to go. Those things were dirt cheap in CMBB. I usually liked to throw a StuH into the mix as well... nothing like seeing those HE shells blow the living crap out of enemy infantry :D.

Ah yes, the Stuh 42, my favorite as well. I would always try to fit one into my load out. Usually it wasn't a problem, depending on the date and region, I remember being able to purchase a Stuh42 for just about 100 credits. Those things could bring down a house in a couple of hits, and wipe out entire platoons quickly.

Also the Hetzer, one of my favorites as well. A friend of mine who I played CMBO, CMBB and CMAK with hated those things with a passion because of me. Again, at the right time, or with rarity off, hetzers are dirt cheap. One QB match I bought 6 of them, it was a good idea. ;)

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who thinks this seems a bit wrong? The guy is using late PzIV H's so you'd assume they should be using the 7.5cm L48, which at 1000m can penetrate 85mm of armor at a 30 degree angle. Even the older L43 can penetrate around 82mm at 30 degrees at that range.

The Sherman's front hull ranged from 64-76mm, so this gun should not have any trouble pentrating it at all yet he is getting ding after ding after ding.

Something seems very wrong there to me :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who thinks this seems a bit wrong? The guy is using late PzIV H's so you'd assume they should be using the 7.5cm L48, which at 1000m can penetrate 85mm of armor at a 30 degree angle. Even the older L43 can penetrate around 82mm at 30 degrees at that range.

The Sherman's front hull ranged from 64-76mm, so this gun should not have any trouble pentrating it at all yet he is getting ding after ding after ding.

Something seems very wrong there to me :confused:

The explanation is here.

Basically, the PZ-IVH gun is a decent gun, however, at about 300m, and a slope of 56 degrees with armor of 51mm the gun just barely penetrate the frontal armor of the Sherman.

The penetration average of the 75mm/L48 at 300m with an angel of 56 degrees can on avarage penetrate about 53mm worth of armor. The Sherman has 51mm armor on the front. So it is close, it makes sense for him to have trouble penetrating that armor.

I do suggest you read that whole post though.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
I've decided to give Shock Force a second chance and have been having lots of fun. However I'm stuck on the third campaign mission where your recon units have to clear a path down a long highway. But anyways, I'd buy all the modules except that I've decided to save the money for Battle for Normandy. By the looks of it, I'm guessing CMBN will be the definitive strategy game of 2011?

Reactions: Panzer Meyer
Upvote 0