• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat Mission series!

Some screenies and info on the new game as a Christmas present!

Bone%202%20Dec%202009.jpg

Bone%203%20Dec%202009.jpg

And the full thread here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197

Upvote 0
It's getting better bit-by-bit. Every patch improvements are made. The last CMSF patch that came with NATO module fixed a LOT of things. At release it was a joke of course, now it's gotten pretty good. And it IS cool to see your guys actually firing, lobbing grenades, getting shot while running etc.

I figure, by the time this comes out, then Bulge, then finally an Ostfront game, it'll be polished to perfection when I get my hands on T-34s again :). (well not again... I still play CMBB all the time hehe)

Biggest issue right now IMO is that buildings and rubble seem to provide way too much cover. I had 48 guys firing and shooting UGL grenades at 4 dudes in rubble 150 meters away and it took them 3 minutes to kill them!! (and no they weren't being shot back at and had their HQs right with them). Another example: Had a Tornado drop a... whatever it is... huge bomb, on a building, huge explosion, building vaporized instantly, and a giant crater. At the end of the game I see that there are 4 guys in the rubble. 3 green, one wounded, no dead. Ridiculous. BFC have said they plan to fix this in the next patch though...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there's the option of playing real time now. Which I find impossible to handle in multiplayer with more than a company.

But in SP you can command huge forces in RT and just pause every time you have an encounter and adjust your orders.

Still with a large force I prefer WEGO with the replay ability.

Upvote 0
Naw, this was our "Christmas gift" hahaha. I dunno, maybe they'll give more info soon. Unfortunately it will not be operation style campaigns ala CMx1 but still a semi-linear (you can take multiple paths depending on whether you win/lose) campaign like most strategy games. However, IIRC your forces are "limited" so if you lose a bunch early on you're screwed later. They said there will be both a German and Allied campaign.

But yes, there will be a "real" QB system like that of old (actually improved from what I've read). The only unfortunate thing in connection with that is that random map generation is impossible with the new engine. But you can be sure there'll be plenty of custom maps made pretty quickly so you won't dry up on the included ones at release... there's already a ton of full length custom campaigns for CMSF... And we're talking just maps here so I'm not too worried.

There's a rather large (official) post on the QB system here... I particularly like the new rarity system:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91587

They've also said release will be "soon". It seems all they're doing now is squashing bugs and fixing graphical glitches.

On a side note, I found it funny that someone was b!tching that the game was not going to include animations of Germans running with their rifle in one hand (ala ROHOS and RL)... BFC said they just didn't have the time to spend on a relatively unimportant feature :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is great news, and it is getting released soon, awesome! Seriously, since CMBB and CMAK I haven't played a battlefront game, much less a CM game. Shame... when CMBO came out, that is all I played until CMBB, and same thing. I played until CMAK came out, by that time I slowly stopped.

I am glad they returned to WWII, back where they began. From what I've read so far, it sounds promising.

Upvote 0
Dunno it might be possible to mod in operation style campaigns. At least static ones.

The community's made some fantastic user-made campaigns (semi-linear of course), so if someone figures out a way to do this, and I'm sure someone will try given that WW2 will bring back a lot of the people who boycotted CMSF cause it sucked hardcore :p (at first) and because it was boring, modern, asymmetrical warfare, then we'll have some great stuff coming out. (I've learned to enjoy asymmetrical warfare btw in the NATO module, as the campaigns are extremely difficult... you have to keep your casualties to basically nil and most of the time aren't allowed to use anything above small arms against buildings that all the enemies just happen to be in for fear of civilian casualties... meanwhile they got some ATGMs in those buildings :p).

If someone does figure it out, we'll have some kickass operation campaigns coming out... just look at the work of blowtorchscenarios.com for CMBB. Incredible stuff! (actually looking for someone to play tcp-ip the Peiper campaigns... PLEASE! can't find anyone... PM me if interested).

It should be noted that the infantry combat is still semi-abstracted. Explosions on/near infantry squads are turned down a bit to account for the fact that in RL the squads would be spread out a lot more. (if they modeled that in game it would be kinda hard to tell who's in what squad... plus it'd be programming hell, and they only have 2 programmers :()

Last edited:
Upvote 0