• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Collapsable Menu

CandleJack

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2009
VIC
This is pretty much my idea in image form. It's pretty straightforward.

smenukfsmaller2.jpg

The has a little gold + under each perk in the menu that when clicked, opens up to show the perk's weapons. The + then becomes a - which indicates the perk menu is open.

I thought that this idea deserves it's own thread, so you guise can help me elaborate on it.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Just take the + and - buttons away and make it so the weapon list opens and closes plainly by clicking the perk icon/text.

I was actually thinking of having the menu open by clicking the perk button only, but the + and - just make the menu more straightforward.

It's much like the menu in the pc, it has a + and a - to indicate whether the menu is open or not. The plus and minus icons are also user-friendly to newbs as well.

Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0
I don't like it. One of the best things about KF is cross-pollination of perks and weapons. There are so few weapons that hiding them doesn't make much sense and it can make finding specific weapons difficult in a limited time by hiding/revealing large groups of weapons and someone may not know which weapons are under which perk.

The problem is all of the unused space. Think of this. The left section (equipped weapons) has a 1/3 of unused space on the right. Move the large middle section (weapon picture) over that open space and reduce the middle section's width by a half as well. Add all of that extra space to the weapon's area on the right. Put a button on top of the right section to toggle between words or icons. If someone chooses icons, then show icons of all of the weapons and allow people to purchase a weapon with a doubleclick.

Upvote 0
Two issues I see with it (and a common solution):

1. In the panic of 8 seconds left in the trader you don't want to be expanding things to search for a weapon.
2. Getting something moved from the "ideas and suggestions" thread and into code is going to take: Big impact (compared to other ideas), and low cost to implement.

Keep the categorization but leave it permanently expanded. This would fix issue #1. If permanently expanded then there is no new coding needed to implement the expand. It would just be a matter of binding existing objects to a new button placement. This would help with issue #2.

All in all though any improvement to the trader/perk interface would be welcome. TWI made great improvements during some previous patches but there is still room for much more.

Upvote 0
I don't like it. One of the best things about KF is cross-pollination of perks and weapons.

odd, cause that's exactly why i like this idea. KF has a specific perk system for a reason. i'd much rather see more emphasis placed on players using the PROPER weapons that they should be using when they choose a perk. the theory behind the system is that it would be more beneficial for players to use the weapons that are attached to the perk they are using. just because a few weapons are currently in need of a balance update doesn't mean that the whole perk/weapon system is broken.

if people are going to try and work around and exploit the system, then making it more difficult for them to do so, while better instructing them on how to properly play the game according to it's design, is something i'll definitely support ;)

Upvote 0
First of all thank you for the replies, positive and negative. :)

Been mentioned a number of times before, and it is still a good idea. +1

Indeed, on most of those occasions i was the one that suggested it. But yesterday i finally decided to do something about this idea.

I'd prefer a complete overhaul to be honest. Currently it just seems too clunky and slow, not to mention ugly. It's not a bad idea though.

A complete overhaul would be nice :)

I don't like it. One of the best things about KF is cross-pollination of perks and weapons. There are so few weapons that hiding them doesn't make much sense and it can make finding specific weapons difficult in a limited time by hiding/revealing large groups of weapons and someone may not know which weapons are under which perk.

The problem is all of the unused space. Think of this. The left section (equipped weapons) has a 1/3 of unused space on the right. Move the large middle section (weapon picture) over that open space and reduce the middle section's width by a half as well. Add all of that extra space to the weapon's area on the right. Put a button on top of the right section to toggle between words or icons. If someone chooses icons, then show icons of all of the weapons and allow people to purchase a weapon with a doubleclick.

The weapons in each menu would still retain their order from the current menu. And like any menu change, it just takes some getting used to.
I could probably make a new menu according to your suggestion.

Two issues I see with it (and a common solution):

1. In the panic of 8 seconds left in the trader you don't want to be expanding things to search for a weapon.
2. Getting something moved from the "ideas and suggestions" thread and into code is going to take: Big impact (compared to other ideas), and low cost to implement.

Keep the categorization but leave it permanently expanded. This would fix issue #1. If permanently expanded then there is no new coding needed to implement the expand. It would just be a matter of binding existing objects to a new button placement. This would help with issue #2.

All in all though any improvement to the trader/perk interface would be welcome. TWI made great improvements during some previous patches but there is still room for much more.

I see your point about the Eight Second Panic. I could also try and make your suggestion, and i'll most likely upload a picture for your approval.

I really like this idea. how about instead of having drop down menus like that, have another perk selector like in the top left, and when you click on the perk icon it gives you their list of weapons?

If you could expand this idea a bit further, that would help. I'm sure this goes into enough detail for me to have a crack at it.

yes. And perhaps allow for the entire weapon menu to come down though, if your going for a loadout spanning perks.

AHA! I knew i missed something. I'll make yet another picture with an "open all" button just for you.

Upvote 0