• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bullpup Backup

Demonic Spoon

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2006
I primarily play commando, but late game I have some issues against scrakes and fleshpounds...naturally, commandos are weak against them.

when I can, I try to get handcannons. However, this doesn't seem to help much. Even if a scrake is charging me directly and I unload into his face, he doesn't seem to take much damage (hard mode)...until my teammates shoot at him and annihilate him in a second.

Am I just missing, or are the handcannons not very impressive against them? Should I pick another secondary weapon? Should I just switch to full auto and unload with the bullpup?

The handgun is quite effective against Scrakes when I play SharpShooter Level 5. Where headshots are 50% more damage.
If I can grenade him and land a few shots leading up to a charge. Then 6 quick shots at close range usually brings him down.

hes talking about commmando....

@OP:
the backup for bullpup is either dual handcannons or chainsaw, which both take care of scrakes easily (but dont shoot at scrake with cannons b4 it sprints, you have to use bullpup, full auto, than when he sprints at you switch to cannons and anihilate him)

as for fleshpounds:
bullpup (full auto), get close > shoot him in the head > decap > win

Upvote 0
I bet ak47 will get same weight as chainsaw / crossbow, so you cant get a bullpup too unless your support.

I might play a few rounds commando if I can have ak and dual HC. :eek:
Chainsaw is 8kg, Xbow is 10kg

I normaly play sharpshooter and i am getting rather good at killing sirens, scrakes and fleshpounders before they reach our camp. However, i need someone that clear out crawlers, stalkers, clots, gorefasts and bloats that get too close while i am taking time to one-shot stuff. I find commando as a bodyguard work best for this.

When i play berserk (whos main job is to deal with scrakes) i find crawlers, stalkers that sneak up from behind and bloats are a pain to avoid taking damage from as a berserker - commando rules at taking them out.

We actually dont know, but AK47 will probably be a really good gun vs scrake (and possible fleshpounders before they get up to melee range).

AK47 will probably be 8kg so you can use both bullpup and AK47 at the same time. Before we get AK47 i tend to use chainsaw for later waves, atleast if there are no berserker or expert sharpshooter around to handle scrakes.

As for fleshpounds. If it goes after you. Aim for its head and go full auto until you decapitate it (or you die). If it goes after your partymember, wait until it enrage, then toss nades at it (frag grenades deal double damage vs flehspounds, and fleshpounds take half damage from all non-explosive damage such as your bullpup). AK47, once we get it, might be a decent gun at shooting fps that goes after your partymember though.

So, to answer the OP. If you dont have a decent berserker or sharpshooter in the party - go chainsaw (to kill scrake with). If you do, go handcannon(s) or no secondary weapon at all (you run pretty fast with only 7/15kg backpack)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually use dual HCs for backup, they do some pretty good damage at point blank. Best use of them is when you're about to empty your pup's magazine - once you hit ten rounds and if the scrake/FP is still coming, swap out before it goes into the (uninterruptible) reload animation and empty the HCs into it's face.

More in depth though, for the scrake:

1. TELL YOUR TEAM. This is vital. The scrake's health is scaled to be a challenge for however many people on in the game right now. You want help.

2. If you're not in full auto switch to it now.

3. Use long bursts of fire on his face while he's walking. Wait until he starts to dip below half health - he will be on the verge of charging.

4. Reload and just unload full auto in one long burst. Between you and hopefully at least one other teammate this should drop him before he reaches you. If you're alone you can probably finish him off with some injury to yourself this way.

The FP's a bit different. If nothing else is around it and it's not enraged you can get away with running up to it, sticking your bullpup into it's face and cutting loose with full auto. This should decap it. Once it's got no head, switch to knife and GTFO. A headless FP can and will still kill you.

Otherwise however, it's best to warn your team and call for a nuke - everyone tosses a nade or two. FPs seem to have a harder time of soaking explosive damage than they do at soaking bullets and fire.

Upvote 0
I usually use dual HCs for backup, they do some pretty good damage at point blank. Best use of them is when you're about to empty your pup's magazine - once you hit ten rounds and if the scrake/FP is still coming, swap out before it goes into the (uninterruptible) reload animation and empty the HCs into it's face.

More in depth though, for the scrake:

1. TELL YOUR TEAM. This is vital. The scrake's health is scaled to be a challenge for however many people on in the game right now. You want help.

2. If you're not in full auto switch to it now.

3. Use long bursts of fire on his face while he's walking. Wait until he starts to dip below half health - he will be on the verge of charging.

4. Reload and just unload full auto in one long burst. Between you and hopefully at least one other teammate this should drop him before he reaches you. If you're alone you can probably finish him off with some injury to yourself this way.

The FP's a bit different. If nothing else is around it and it's not enraged you can get away with running up to it, sticking your bullpup into it's face and cutting loose with full auto. This should decap it. Once it's got no head, switch to knife and GTFO. A headless FP can and will still kill you.

Otherwise however, it's best to warn your team and call for a nuke - everyone tosses a nade or two. FPs seem to have a harder time of soaking explosive damage than they do at soaking bullets and fire.

agree

though for scrakes, when he drops below half health and start to rush, you are better off switching to dual HCs and unload into him, you will end up uninjured most of the time

Upvote 0
The dual HC tactic is very good, though I usually go with a shotgun for backup. I am constantly shooting all of the smaller ZEDs with the bullpup as a commando. Due to often having to reload, I'll hit empty and switch to the shotgun to take out stragglers. It's always important to remember that each class has strong points and that teamwork is of the UTMOST importance. The way I play commando benefits support, sharpshooter and zerks because they're the ones that are going to have to take on scrakes and FPs.

However, in the event that my team sucks or isn't working well together, I'll grab a chainsaw as backup around wave 5. I use the bullpup to eliminate quicker ZEDs and use the chainsaw on scrakes and FPs. For whatever reason, I haven't learned the sweetspot on FP decapitation while using a bullpup (I get it maybe 40% of the time) but using a chainsaw is infinitely easier (80-90% decap rate for me) to me. At higher commando levels, the bullpup is fantastic (assuming you are good at headshots) for clearing out the smaller ZEDs while the chainsaw gives you a free pass against scrakes.

But in the end, teamwork is something that SHOULD take precedence over you being able to run solo as a commando. What that boils down to is what you are more comfortable with as a backup weapon, be it dual HCs or a shotty, which are probably the better choices.

Upvote 0
The bullpup is actually perfectly capable of popping off Flesh Pound heads. You should simply avoid scrakes altogether with it though, shooting them is a waste of ammo.

Seriously, what he said is all you need to know. Commandos are meant to DOMINATE weaker monsters, not take down the big ones. Skrakes are supposed to be your weakness, so avoid them and leave them to other team members more suited to dealing with them (Berserker, Support).

Also, folks are gonna be bummed out when they find out that, in all likelyhood, while the AK is a good gun, it's not going to be god in assault rifle form. It'll have stopping power, but it's not gonna WTFPWN fleshpounds and skrakes. It'll probably be more along the lines of a 'Takes out a Gorefast in 2 bullets instead of 5' thing...

Upvote 0
But I thought the whole purpose of the new heavier end-game game weapon for Commandos were to give them the stopping power they need to take down a scrake solo in a timely manner - like most other perks already can do - and to put the hurt on fleshpounds and the patriarch (together with the rest of your team).

I think the AK will deal simular damage to the handcanons, a simular recoil as the handcannon, a slightly higher ammo capacity than dual handcannons and weight twice as much as dual handcannons. With perk bonuses, handcannon(s) will still be the prefered weapon for sharpshooters and AK will be the prefered weapon for Commandos.

Other perks might or might not use the AK, but with a (presumed) weight of 8kg not many of the other perks can use it together with "their" primary weapon (no chainsaw+AK, no flamethrower+AK, no xbow+AK, no dual shotguns+AK). Even if as-good or even slightly better than the handcannon I still think only Commandos and maybe some medics (at the cost of shotgun, xbow or chainsaw) will use this weapon. Shrug.

And if your aim is good it will still be a "waste" for a commando to use the AK on clots, gorefasts, crawlers, bloats and stalkers as they all "die" when you headshot them using the bullpup. No, this gun will be more of a bodyshot weapon (as it only deal *1.10 to the head anyway) and it's ammo best reserved for sirens, scrakes and fleshpounds (the three zeds you can not decapitate with a few bullets to the head) or if you, in panic, need to cut down a swarm of zeds and does not have time to aim for headshots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But I thought the whole purpose of the new heavier end-game game weapon for Commandos were to give them the stopping power they need to take down a scrake solo in a timely manner - like most other perks already can do - and to put the hurt on fleshpounds and the patriarch (together with the rest of your team).

I think the AK will deal simular damage to the handcanons, a simular recoil as the handcannon, a slightly higher ammo capacity than dual handcannons and weight twice as much as dual handcannons. With perk bonuses, handcannon(s) will still be the prefered weapon for sharpshooters and AK will be the prefered weapon for Commandos.

Other perks might or might not use the AK, but with a (presumed) weight of 8kg not many of the other perks can use it together with "their" primary weapon (no chainsaw+AK, no flamethrower+AK, no xbow+AK, no dual shotguns+AK). Even if as-good or even slightly better than the handcannon I still think only Commandos and maybe some medics (at the cost of shotgun, xbow or chainsaw) will use this weapon. Shrug.

And if your aim is good it will still be a "waste" for a commando to use the AK on clots, gorefasts, crawlers, bloats and stalkers as they all "die" when you headshot them using the bullpup. No, this gun will be more of a bodyshot weapon (as it only deal *1.10 to the head anyway) and it's ammo best reserved for sirens, scrakes and fleshpounds (the three zeds you can not decapitate with a few bullets to the head) or if you, in panic, need to cut down a swarm of zeds and does not have time to aim for headshots.

12,7mm (.50cal) vs 7,62mm

wtf

Upvote 0
12,7mm (.50cal) vs 7,62mm

wtf
Ehh... Yes, 12.7x99mm NATO (.50") used in machineguns and sniper rifles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG) have alot more impact than a 7.62mm round.

But I am not talking about the .50" rifle ammo now im i? I am comparing the 7.62mm rifle ammo (that have a bullet that weight some 100-200 gram per bullet according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x39mm) with the .50" pistol ammo (with a bullet that weight less than 2 gram according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Eagle).

I have never used a desert eagle, but i am pretty sure the energy from the impact of a .50" pistol bullet is less, or (as i suggest for the game) comparable, with the energy from the impact of a 7.62mm rifle bullet...?

In KF the Level Action Rifle (Winchester .308" (or .300 magnum?)) already deal more damage per bullet than the handcannon (.50" pistol). This is, imo, correct. And it should also deal more damage per bullet then AK47 (7.62mm). IMHO the AK should deal more damage per bullet than the bullpup and the 9mm - and it should less damage per bullet than LAR. This is the reason i think it fit to give it a comparable damage per bullet to the handcannon ("comparable" being the operative word here). I have no problem with Commando AK47 bodyshots dealing same or slightly more damage per bullet than sharpshooter handcannon bodyshots and that sharpshooter handcannon headshots deal more damage than Commando AK47 headshots. Remember that dual handcannons have a really high rate of fire (only slightly slower than full auto from the bullpup). I have no problem with the AK having a slightly lower rate of fire than both the bullpup (0,10 seconds per bullet) and dual handcannons (0,13 seconds per bullet). Maybe some 0,15 seconds per bullet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0