• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

bolt rifle mid clip reload

the easyest to do it would to do the RnL cycle the bolt and lose the rounds idea. would jsut me like the normal animation..with out a bang and a flash.

even this would work great.

the "coolest" way would to have a certain SELECTIBLE % of the total ammo (5, 10, 15, 20) in your pocket. and holding reload uses the "pocket" bullets....tapping reloads using a stripper --ONLY when mag is totaly empty--

i think this would bring bolts on a closer level to semi's. witch they were.

a person armed with a lee enfeild could shoot 30 rounds at a target 200 yards away in 30 seconds. thats 2 reloads (4 total stripper clips). it was called the "mad minute" and that might not sound fast, but concidering the kar could only do 13- 16 roudns a minute....

Upvote 0
a person armed with a lee enfeild could shoot 30 rounds at a target 200 yards away in 30 seconds. thats 2 reloads (4 total stripper clips). it was called the "mad minute" and that might not sound fast, but concidering the kar could only do 13- 16 roudns a minute....

a mad minute from an enfield is 30 rounds in a minute ( not 30 seconds ). Many soldiers in the first and second world war could do more then 30.

Owning an enfield, a k98 and a mosin I think I can safely say short of real modification none of those rifles ever stand a chance of coming close to the enfield in output of fire.

Upvote 0
a mad minute from an enfield is 30 rounds in a minute ( not 30 seconds ). Many soldiers in the first and second world war could do more then 30.

Owning an enfield, a k98 and a mosin I think I can safely say short of real modification none of those rifles ever stand a chance of coming close to the enfield in output of fire.

What was so special about the enfield what could lead to this increase?
I thought the speed was all up to the person using it as the limiting factor:confused:

Upvote 0
*A wild LemoN appears!*

Well, generally COC (cock on close) is faster, but there's a couple of things to it:

Old COC military rifles used a very heavy, very long, very slow striker propelled by a relatively weak spring, which also is the reason for the infamous Enfield "Hangfires". COO (cock on opening) rifles, especially modern ones, use a very short, fast firing pin fall to reduce the lock-time, which increases the accuracy. If you ever disassembled an Enfield bolt and an M98 Mauser bolt you'll notice the difference in spring strength immediately.

For comparison:
The Lee-Enfield used a 13 pound striker spring, and it weighed 9 pounds.
The M1893 Mauser (also a COC rifle) used a 19 pound spring and weighed about the same.

Modern COO rifles use springs between 24 and 30 pounds.

In addition to that, if you are pushing against a 13-20 pound firing pin spring while chambering a round, it is harder to tell if something is wrong with the cartridge in question. Also If you catch the bolt handle on a cocked/ loaded rifle and somehow move it up to the unlocked position, the cock-on-closing Enfield will partially extract a live cartridge when the firing pin spring throws the bolt back. This does not happen on COO rifles.

In addition to this general stuff, there's a couple of more things to consider. The Enfield fires a rimmed cartridge, this means the gas-seal is done through the rim of the casing, not the neck as with rimless cartridges. If the headspacing between bolt and chamber is too tight you won't even be able to close the bolt (same with every rimmed cartridge, like the 7.62x54R). If the casing has too large dimensions, or if there's dirt in the chamber, you'll have a lot of difficulties on closing the bolt as you're working against both the spring AND the cartridge.

On the other hand if you have a COO rifle such as the M98 or the M91 action, and you have laquered casings or shellac in your chamber (something rather common for surplus Mosins) you'll have to work against both the spring AND the cartridge. The best example for this are reports on late war German ammo between late 1944 and 1945 getting stuck in the chamber, drastically reducing the firing rate. The typical Mosin "sticky bolt" also is an example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
springs aside.

The mosin & Mauser both have the bolt handles mis aligned from the trigger (Mauser is on the front of the trigger guard, mosin an inch or two forwards). The Lee enfield has the bolt handle aligned vertically right behind the trigger. Due to this alignment a shooter can grip the bolt of an enfield between the index finger and thumb, and fire with the middle firing, never releasing the bolt; the middle finger comes naturally down the the trigger on bolt close.

The mosin and mauser both obstruct the shooters view while bolting ( the bolt obstructs the iron sights ), the enfield can be bolted while acquiring the next target.

Lastly the mauser and moreso the mosin need a shove to unseat the bolt and cock the spring. compounded more by the mosins short bolt. The enfield gives the shooter the benefit of inertia of the closing bolt action to cock the bolt.

Put all three of those together and you can pick up an enfield and fire 10 rnds in 9 seconds, which I did the very first time I had my enfield out to shoot, that was on a 1.5 foot diameter tree roughly 15 feet away. ( If pressed I think I could do 10 rnds in 7 seconds )

Upvote 0
springs aside.

The mosin & Mauser both have the bolt handles mis aligned from the trigger (Mauser is on the front of the trigger guard, mosin an inch or two forwards). The Lee enfield has the bolt handle aligned vertically right behind the trigger. Due to this alignment a shooter can grip the bolt of an enfield between the index finger and thumb, and fire with the middle firing, never releasing the bolt; the middle finger comes naturally down the the trigger on bolt close.

The mosin and mauser both obstruct the shooters view while bolting ( the bolt obstructs the iron sights ), the enfield can be bolted while acquiring the next target.

Lastly the mauser and moreso the mosin need a shove to unseat the bolt and cock the spring. compounded more by the mosins short bolt. The enfield gives the shooter the benefit of inertia of the closing bolt action to cock the bolt.

Put all three of those together and you can pick up an enfield and fire 10 rnds in 9 seconds, which I did the very first time I had my enfield out to shoot, that was on a 1.5 foot diameter tree roughly 15 feet away. ( If pressed I think I could do 10 rnds in 7 seconds )
YouTube - mauser rapid fire

Problem? :p

Upvote 0

Lee enfield rapid fire requires
-Average joe who can shoot...

Mosin rapid fire requires:
-Shoulders of hard steel

Mauser rapid fire requires..
-Serious guy with sunglasses
-Bench rest
-Throwing gun down afterwards in rage

Problem?

:D

nice vid though, I would probably previously have thought 10 rnds in 11 seconds to be impossible on mauser.. ( even in that kind of controlled situation)

Upvote 0
My friend's 91/30 is absolutely stubborn when cycling rounds. It's not sticky bolt or anything, it just takes a good whack sometimes to get the thing to open for ejection.

My Mauser's stiff when cycling rounds but nowhere near that bad.

yeah it has a lot to do with the really short bolt, relative has a 9130 pre war and bought one of the snipeer bolts fof rit, it cycles at lot easier now.

Upvote 0
i cant take my m77 mark 2 ruger and do that to. and my 30-30 lever, and my 22 lever, ETC

but, the lee enfeild was NOT from a bench, and the guy had to have his hand OFF the bolt handel. thats kinda cheap.

adn i think the 30-40 kreg was a better action then the lee... as i ahve held both, and the kreg was just ****ing cool!!!

but, the bolts need a M-C-R.

however, if thsi game would be rleased in april...all development work is done on it...they are making CD's now and stocking back rooms of gamestops and givving keys to steam. IF THE GAME RELEASES IN APRIL....but we dotn hae a relase date besides 2011. coem on tripwire..throw us a bone here!!!!!!

Upvote 0
i cant take my m77 mark 2 ruger and do that to. and my 30-30 lever, and my 22 lever, ETC

but, the lee enfeild was NOT from a bench, and the guy had to have his hand OFF the bolt handel. thats kinda cheap.

adn i think the 30-40 kreg was a better action then the lee... as i ahve held both, and the kreg was just ****ing cool!!!

but, the bolts need a M-C-R.

I always thought it was funny that shultz from hogans heroes was using what looked like a 30-40 krag.

Upvote 0
among that kreg, was a 1913 colt 1911. had US GI property stamped on it....that dang thing is a beast. and a sprignfeild trap door. the 45-70 round that that thing shoots is retarded. 300 grain round! cant emagine a henery lever in 45-70.

but, some one should look threw the videos we have and see if they showed a mid clip reload....mabey tripwire is just trolling us right now!

Upvote 0