• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

bolt rifle mid clip reload

Yeah it would add "Boring" to the game. Realism can go too far. Should I stop to take a dump from time to time? It would be getting caught with your pants down. It adds nothing. I would rather die/respawn than take the time to do this.

Nothing wrong with taking cover and put 3 clips together manually.
Loved R6 for reloading and seeing your magazine has only 5 bullets instead of the 30.

This will bring a new aspect into the game; If I reload to often, then eventually I only have clips of 2 bullets, or I have to shuffle them in one stripper (which takes an undefined amount of time). But if I reload too few (empty every stripper) I might miss the last bullet and the enemy escapes because I have to reload first.

Loved to see the 'automatic condensing' of games made after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm all for the mid-clip reload (using only part of the clip to reload the gun).
I've been killed so damn many times because I had 2 bullets while entering the building, or because I had to shoot them first to reload full 5-runds clip.
If it's possible, I want to see this in game.
And since any decent gamer can use all/most of his kar98k stripper clips during 1 "life", I don't think many people would reload after every shot. It's all fun to the point, where all you're left are clips with 1-2 bullets left. It happened to many quite often some time ago, that when picked up some guys SVT and reloaded it, I realised (after running out of ammo in the middle of firefight) that all his 6 mags had up to 5 bullets in each.
Frequent reloading in RO just doesn't work, unless you have a sniper rifle which is loaded with single bullets - then you reload as often as possible to be ready for bigger pack of enemies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah it would add "Boring" to the game. Realism can go too far. Should I stop to take a dump from time to time? It would be getting caught with your pants down. It adds nothing. I would rather die/respawn than take the time to do this.

I am not saying to make mini-game out of it. Just a keystroke (R+melee or something) to fill one stripper with all your remaining bullets.
I also don't say it should take a minute, few secs would be enough.

I think the immersion is gone when you have magic auto-filling clips, I think it definitely adds to that. In that way it's a little more useful than taking a dump (you do that before the battle:D)

Upvote 0
Simple soln.

Players can bolt out rounds and drop them ( rounds are lost ) allowing them to put a full clip into the gun. Something that may not be too far fetched if you were in a hurry and cared more about a full gun and surviving the next few minutes than loosing one or two bullets.

More in-depth soln

Players start with only stripper clips, any rounds they bolt out are picked up and go in their pocket, they can then see these in hud on demand mode. ( number would be approximate, > 5, > 10; you would have a general idea of how many loose rounds you had in your pocket but not an exact number; unless you the player counted ).
When there are loose rounds in your pocket the reload option would then show the player pulling out loose rounds from his pocket and topping off the weapon, this would be a push and hold operation, the moment the reload button is released the bolt is closed and the rifle is brought back up.

( thus giving they player the option of topping off, or emptying and reloading from strippers based on what they want to do, not a predefined setting )

edit:

Just to add I dont think it would have been common for soldiers to be carrying loose rounds for a regular rifle in ww2, their pouches held rounds in units of stripper clips, and most of the ammo would have been coming already loaded onto clips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO sugestion threads...teh only place a simeple old game can get many minds working together!

think it should be multi half loaded strippers...but you get at least a second to COUNT how many rounds are in the clip...visually

if you need 4 rounds to top off the rifle...and the clip only has 2 rounds in it then you laod the first stripper...then press R again before the bolt is closed....any time before hte bolt is closed, but after you see the stripper.

so after that you still need 2 rounds...so you press R again...and it laod a full/part stripper. either it equals out or you have another half stripper.

longer reload times = having full clip
having one round in your gun = possibilty of runnuing dry..but always have full clips

even the system BIA had where it stripped the rounds before adn instantly was cool. it took from that games relase to yesterday to me to reconize this...but once i found it i was amazed at the game.

its the little things that make a game great....

and i was making fun at COD's rank system...however the "upgrage" system is in RO2....might be fun...but RO players ARE NOT cod players. i personally dont want a upgrade..but thats anotehr thread!

Upvote 0
no offence kainhall, but can you make a basic attempt to put your thoughts to text in a way that is easier to read?

the thing I have against lots of half loaded strippers is what system is used to pick which one to load into your rifle? what if you only need one round and you pull out a full one or vice versa? Before you say that it should automatically pick the closest one, is that realistic either? In the heat of combat no soldier is going to be organizing his half used stripper clips so he can access a 1,2,3,4, or 5 round clip when he needs them.

Upvote 0
"upgrade system to maek it mroe liek a COD gmae" already starts you at not having strippers and level 2 gives you strippers

I totally misread this when i first saw it xD

~~~~~~~~~

Its a nice idea, but the topping off thing seems to complicated in my opinion - from what I've seen most people are happy with how the automatics work, maintaining a collection of partially full magazines.

For rifles I would be happy with only allowing the player to reload once all rounds had been fired (i.e. how it is now), but the option to cycle the bolt to empty the magazine would be nice (I presume this was actually possible, not really knowing a thing about guns).

By having it set up this way it would make the player decide between wasting a round or two and having a full weapon, or saving ammo, but possibly being caught short when desperate. Would add a nice dynamic in my opinion.

Upvote 0
but the option to cycle the bolt to empty the magazine would be nice (I presume this was actually possible, not really knowing a thing about guns).

Absolutely. Every bolt cycle ejects the current cartridge, spent or not. I really don't see why anyone would be opposed to this. To keep it simple, just make it so you permanently lose the loose rounds. There is no reason riflemen should be handicapped this way.

Upvote 0
Simple soln.

Players can bolt out rounds and drop them ( rounds are lost ) allowing them to put a full clip into the gun. Something that may not be too far fetched if you were in a hurry and cared more about a full gun and surviving the next few minutes than loosing one or two bullets.
Something people asked for in RO:O for a long time. REAL manual bolting. Where you can throw out a bullet with each reload till the gun is empty without firing a shoot.

Upvote 0
Something people asked for in RO:O for a long time. REAL manual bolting. Where you can throw out a bullet with each reload till the gun is empty without firing a shoot.

Even better, adding this now means we could get the second part in a later update.

Aside:
I've also tested the mosin 9130 for being able to fit 5 rnds in the mag under the bolt, wouldent go. ( it was close but no dice ).

Upvote 0
This idea is jar half full at best. The idea on paper is sound, but the reality of it is rather lackluster. On a range the loose rounds might work where the biggest threat is the guy next to you improperly handling a firearm. Under combat situations though, reloading your rifle's magazine with a stripper clip can be a nightmare all in it's own. Most games show your avatar as having surgeon like hands and nerves of steel, reloading flawlessly while under enemy fire, nevermind the artillery shrapnel flying about at high speeds intent on clipping your head and in twain. Loose rounds can be dropped and they aren't exactly easily stored, especially when combat gear is blocking pockets and such. Although I guess I might be looking at this from too much a pragmatic view I think it's more for the paper then the proverbial meat-and-potatoes of the game. Hopefully people don't see this as a criticizing post or anything but a mere opinion just like every other post on this board is as well.

PS: The 5+1 in the chamber cannot actually work with bolt action rifles sadly since the closing of the bolt strips rounds from the internal magazine. Though any removable magazine weapon can be done that way if you chamber a round and then remove the magazine and replace it with a full magazine.

Upvote 0
PS: The 5+1 in the chamber cannot actually work with bolt action rifles sadly since the closing of the bolt strips rounds from the internal magazine. Though any removable magazine weapon can be done that way if you chamber a round and then remove the magazine and replace it with a full magazine.

have you ever handled a ruger M77 mark 2? holds 4 round with no round in the chamber...meaning i can push the top round down and clsoe the bolt or its 1 in the chamber+ 4 in the mag--4+1

my m1 garand does the same..but only if the clip has 7 rounds insted of eight (push down, bolt releases..SLOWLY slide over the top round...pull the op-rod back and rlease and let the lead fly)

WW2 rifles probly cant do this...i have no clue..the kar 98 is my dads, and i have not handled it taht mutch. they were desinged to kill...meaning you need a round in the chamber! so that would be like a 5+0 if you cant push the round down like on the m19/30.

when i paly paintball i have pods to hold extra ammo. 200 round hopper...2 -140 rounds and 2-100 round pods in a belt. you usually dont put the pod back in your belt...and jsut leave it, but if you have the time you can. i like to pick them up and put them back in my belt...and i cna usually remember waht pods are full and whats empty becaue i go from right top to bottem left. but reloading under fire is a pain...as as bad in real life war...but it puts you in a strange position trying to take cover from paint and reload at the same time...and you usually end up spilling like 20 balls on hte ground. and i have many pockets full of junk..maps, 12 gram emerigency 12 gram co2 adapter, barrel brush, squeegey, ETC. and i can remember where that are at ecaue i put them there. and solders had pockets with nothing in it. Colt 45 Killer...your idea works great.

i think the best way would be the RnL way and just cycle out the laoded rounds and use a full stripper. half loaded stripers would add realism...as a cartrige belt usually ahd 2-5 rounds in each pouch. (on 1 en-bloc clip per pouch for the m1). or at the laod out screen you cna pick how many rounds you want to strip out before you spawn in. if i stripp 10, then i lsoe 2 stripper clips..but still have he same number of BANG!

and with out this the rifleman has a gread disatvangage over EVERYTHING else. hell, even the m1 garand can mid clip reload...something COD has not figured out yet aperently!

my thoughts are random..and differnet ideas jsut come to me at random times...plus i type to fast and get all stuff like teh, adn, ETC...sorry. i will try to organize them better and slow down, but dont expect mutch. no offence taken!

Upvote 0
The round does not even have to be lost when opening the chamber. Just hold your finger/hand over the chamber so the cartridge does not fly out, then quickly push it down with your thumb, finally doing the clip reload after. If this system were to be implemented, there would need to be so many animations for bolt rifles. I can't wait to see the path they choose with this whole thing.

Upvote 0
'R'eload to manually bolt or make it so that you just reload loose rounds if there are still bullets left in the rifle. Does it really need justification if the soldier has loose rounds or not? Who cares! Codewise it should just be totalbulletcount % 5 = amount of clips. If amount of clips equals or is greater than 1, you can reload your weapon with a 5 bullet stripper clip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0