• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bolt Action Vs. Semi Auto Rifle

Whether in game or in real life I'd carry a semi-auto rifle before a bolt action rifle. I own a KAR98k and a FN M-49, a rifle that is close to the G-41 in size, weight, action and magazine. (It uses the same caliber ammo and stripper clips even.) I've owned several military bolt actions and there isn't a one I'd have over any of my semi-autos. As far as accuracy goes, they are about the same. None of the "off the rack" rifles I've fired were sniper grade so they were good out to normal combat ranges (300 m.) with practice.

In game I've used all of the semi-autos and prefer them over any of the bolts. I can hit anything I can see. The advantage is that I can hunker down and take out at least three charging guys before they can close on me. Then I can relocate and nail them again as they grenade my old position. If they get close I still can out shoot most of them before running dry, even the spray and pray Ppsh-41 noobs.

It all comes down to fire discipline, recoil control and aiming. Most of our fellow players lack that.

Upvote 0
Very true. The Semi Auto Rifle beats Bolt Action rifle in every single way in the game. The Recoil is not a drawback if you consider the Bolt Action rifle's slow rate of fire and lack of ammo per clip. With Semi auto, you can take out tons of people in close range without sacrificing accuracy, and still be able to hit a guy from a long range with increadible accuracy.

I use the Semi Auto the Same way I use the Bolt Action, except I have ZERO penalties for missing, and have a huge boost for close quarters.

Sorry Bolt Action rifle, as much as I like you, you are too lacking to compete with the Semi Auto.

Upvote 0
I still perfer bolt actions.

if you ask me theres a couple shortcommings of a semi-auto

-moves more while aiming
-slightly less accurate which makes a difference for me since I like to take longer shots
-Quantity! Thats the main thing I see. Theres a limit to semi-autos on all maps where as on most maps there is no limit to bolt actions.

Upvote 0
The last factor has to do with game balance and historical accuracy. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons were not the mainstay of the armies involved on the Eastern Front. They were leavening for the bread, what made it complete. The bolt action rifle was the main weapon on the battlefield on both sides. But it was an anachronism, a hold-over to a past war. Hence both sides started out with modified versions of the same rifles their fathers carried in the Great War. The Gewehr 98 was shortened to become the Karabiner 98k and the Mosin-Nagant Model 1891 became the Model 91/30 before being shorted further in the last two variants.

As to your second point about barrel wobble, that's a game balance factor and not realism. Accuracy varies from rifle to rifle as well, the shorter bolt-actions are less accurate than the longer barreled SVT-40 or 91/30, both in game and in real life.

As a gamer I want the best overall weapon I can get in game. Maps vary so what I need varies with it. However, the semi-auto rifle fits well on any map, even for close in fighting. Bolt-action rifles do not. I'll use one if I have to but the first chance I have to pick up a better weapon, enemy or friendly, I will toss the bolt-action rifle away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0