• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bolt Action Vs. Semi Auto Rifle

BeserkWraithlor

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
I am quite skilled with Bolt Action rifle, and think it takes skill to use properly, You need to bolt after every shot, and you can only shoot 5 times until you reload. The Semi Auto rifle however, shoots much faster, and can shoot 10 TIMES before it reloads.

So, whats the Semi Auto's weakness? They seem like Bolt rifles that shoot much faster, and carry more ammo.

The semi-auto rifles are not accurate to a long range, for a very simple reason: they move around slightly when not supported. I do not know if it is some artificial balancing attempt or a bug, but it is surely annoying and UNREALISTIC.

Try it: get to a position where you have ironsights and the rifle is supported by something. The barrel will slowly move up and down making long range aiming very hard.
On maps that need long range shooting, this weapons is worse than a normal rifle.

Upvote 0
Apart from the recoil the only weakness might be found in the person playing with a semi-auto. Most of them I meet are very trigger happy so their first 4 or 5 bullets miss me.
That's the time you'll get to aim carefully and drop him with 1 bullet.
Keep moving is also a very sound advice: it's a bit arcadish, but lag etc make him miss so you can get in close for a bajo-kill.

Semi-auto's are for pussies as we all know :D

Monk.

Upvote 0
At the end of the day I don't think it's worthwhile to disagree that the Semi-autos are actually more effective weapons. They aren't supposed to be equal. While one can make the arguement that bolt-action are better at long-mid to long range, that's only one situation, semi-autos have the advantage in any situation closer. However, semi-autos are limited in the number of people who can carry them. That's their balance.

That said, i'll take my M44 or sometimes even M91/30 over a SVT-40 anyday, call it style. :cool:

Upvote 0
Bolt Actions all the way for me, but thats just me.
I love the accuracy, and the fact I need to reload every shot, means I shouldn't miss.

With a semi I'm tempted to fire shots in succession an miss, with the bolt I take my time and aim, makes me a much better player, but thats just me.

me too. but i love using all the other weapons from time to time. bolt my favorite.

Upvote 0
To be honest, Semi Auto rifles are actually accurate, although not as precise as Bolt Rifles. The Semi Auto might move around alot, and accuracy is not as good as Bolt, but it shoots very fast, so you can spray at people! The gun is most devestating at close range, where aiming is not needed.

However, Bolt Action Rifle is still my favorite gun. Its a 1 shot kill, and I love the reload and bolting. Shooting a person, then bayonetting the next guy is the best. Taking out a Machinegunner, sniper, and Semi auto with bolt action makes you feel superior.

Upvote 0
One thing which I observe always and always again at myself playing with bolt and semi-auto... the bolt has the major advantage to me that I really focus way more on the first shot. On the semi-auto my mind often thinks "oh, you have another shot right away" over and over again, causing me to shot less carefull.

And the bolt-action is just way more fun, as Beserk said. There is no better feeling than taking out several people with one shot each.
And once you get the hang of hip-shooting, even the bolt-rifle is a deadly weapon at close distance... you just need to remember the absolute most important thing for a rifleman: Cover.

Upvote 0
I find the SVT-40 is really good at short to mid range, but I hate the sniper version. I can quite easily take out a German infantry man almost every shot on Hill Flak 88, if I am in a good position, and this is when the German's are running/sprinting at medium range, I find its very good on close quarter maps, or more mid range, but otherwise, its the bolt action for me. If I'm German though, I always prefer the K98, due to its bayonet attachment.

Upvote 0
With the semi auto, the shooter tends to shoot without aiming. Bolt action the shooter always makes an attempt to aim.

I remember reading somewhere, they during ww2, the average german was more effective in a firefight. Due to training and making their shots count. Since, for example, he average semi auto rifleman would aim in the general direct and fire off a clip, instead of say, aiming and someone's head and firing.

but look who won

Upvote 0
I've noticed that ou have to lead people more with the semi autos when compared with the bolt actions.

I was practicing in practice mode, and I noticed that at a distance I had to lead a soldier significantly more with the g43 sniper than I did with the k98 sniper.

Personally I love the semi auto rifles. I think they're one of the greatest things in the game. I use mine more like a bolt action rifle though - you really have to time your shots. If you do that, you are equal to 2-4 bolt action riflemen because you have a magazine that's twice as large, you reload faster, and your ROF is higher. I haven't had that many instances in this game where a bolt action out-shot me based on range because there's only a few maps where you can really get too far.

The other day I was a squad leader and kept getting sniped by a russian with an svt40. maybe the sniper on our team ****ed but this russian outshot even our sniper.

Upvote 0
Pretty much except at extended distances.

SnozzFartz said:
I've noticed that ou have to lead people more with the semi autos when compared with the bolt actions.

Snozz, let this riddle you no more.

The way that gas-operated semiautomatic firearms work is this. When the firing pin hits the primer, the powder starts to burn. This emits pressure as gas wishes to expand behind the bullet, causing it [the bullet] to be pushed through the barrel. In a gas-operated semiautomatic firearm, some of that gas is siphoned, in a variety of ways depending on the firearm in question, to push the bolt back, eject the spent round, and load the next one in. Bolt-actions do not have to worry about that, that is what the free hand of the operator is for. They can utilize all of the gas to push the bullet out at a faster speed. You have to 'lead' the target more with the G43 sniper than with the Mauser high turret is simply because the K98's round is traveling quicker to the target.

Upvote 0