• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better Maps

I wasnt discussing shooting from the roof into the russian spawn exit. I was talking about people that are roughly outside the hotel under a bit of cover tossing grenades into the spawn and onto the pile just outside the spawn. Considering the only way to "fight bacK" is just to sit down with no cover and jump out (as they can hit you but you cant see them effectively) it essentially makes the map pointless once it begins happening and it only takes 1 or 2 enemies to get to that point and in a 30 minute game and concerted effort it happens.

Then you die, over and over, and then you die again, over and over, without having any opportunity to fight back. No amount of magical skill will save you, because it is a flaw in the map. Your not going to magically get out of the single choke point, bring up your iron sites, and then be able to hit the enemy. because of the nature of the map the grenade throw required also requires an abbeherent amount of skill.

Here are the stats for the game in question.

http://www.rostats.net/stats/matchstats.php?match=889

Players 9 and 16 in the Player Summary section are the example. Not that I feel that they were doing anything wrong, merely being unscrupulous and providing a solid object lesson as to why this is a "bad thing"

I plan on doing this from now on as well, not because I feel it is the thing most exactly pointed out as being "fair" perhaps, but because the standard is raised that this is what you have to do to have fun, or someone else will do the same thing to you.

do unto others as they would do unto you. Well it doesnt work to play by some codified rules that in the end no one cares about.

So, this "should" be thought about before releasing a retail game. because there are a lot more Counsterstrike players that are going to be thinking "I have steam, I have the ability to play this..." and they are going to be doing this stuff because its how they enjoy the game.

Upvote 0
I just have 2 questions to ask:

1) Will the RO:O maps have all rooms and levels in the buildings accessible?

2) Will infantry ever encounter ranges long enough for ballistics to be noticeable?

Anyways, I hope RO:O will surprise me in ways I never imagined :D.

@JC: They're gonna tell you that there is no such thing as RO_Berlin. Only "The fall of Berlin, 1944" exists :D.

Upvote 0
I'd see if I could find Kyodiken.....That kid could find every exploit imaginable in the maps. How to avoid the minefields, how on danzig to get outside the map. How to get on top of Ambush 13.

He was a map breaking god.

AceOfSpades said:
I just have 2 questions to ask:

1) Will the RO:O maps have all rooms and levels in the buildings accessible?

2) Will infantry ever encounter ranges long enough for ballistics to be noticeable?

Anyways, I hope RO:O will surprise me in ways I never imagined :D.

Answer to 1: The MOD allowed access to many buildings and windows. I can only assume that the game will allow the same.

Answer to 2: Yes. The original Moscowhighway, before its tune up, was a great example of how "long" an RO map can reach. Shooting from hilltops required compensation for ballistics. The tend can only continue as the Team takes it from a Award Winning MOD to an award winning game.

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
*cough* a smoke screen would be nice
o ya great, not only will you be killed right after spawning by nade-spam you'll also not be able to see a damn thing because the spawn is filled with smoke, giving you absolutly no change of fighting back, which was down from "verry little"

as long as spawnwaves come at the same time for both teams a smokescreen will only work against the guys being spawncamped, specialy in orginzed games.

but i would still like smokescreens anyway (as long as its can be done without the smoke being a big FPS-eater for lower end machines)
hell, spawnnading (hellspawn nading?) might not even be a issue with the new maps (heres to hoping it isnt)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but what about all the people that use steam just so they could buy RO (including EVERY current RO player).
with all the press RO has been getting its inevitable that we'll get quiet a few of those.

and steam is also full of people that play the older valve games/mods because those dont need a higher end rig (not all of them play sources related games).

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
o ya great, not only will you be killed right after spawning by nade-spam you'll also not be able to see a damn thing because the spawn is filled with smoke, giving you absolutly no change of fighting back, which was down from "verry little"

as long as spawnwaves come at the same time for both teams a smokescreen will only work against the guys being spawncamped, specialy in orginzed games.

but i would still like smokescreens anyway (as long as its can be done without the smoke being a big FPS-eater for lower end machines)
hell, spawnnading (hellspawn nading?) might not even be a issue with the new maps (heres to hoping it isnt)

Hmmm. How about making smoke/fog(thick fog! basically can't see) that the enemy can't see through but your side can? So if they step to close... their vision starts to ebcome to poor to fight so if they try to get close to the enemy spawn they will basically be helpless? So if you went to their spawn you couldn't see s*** but they can see perfectly :)... not realy realistic... but might help? what you think?

Upvote 0
[DBDUK]ImIgRaNt said:
Hmmm. How about making smoke/fog(thick fog! basically can't see) that the enemy can't see through but your side can? So if they step to close... their vision starts to ebcome to poor to fight so if they try to get close to the enemy spawn they will basically be helpless? So if you went to their spawn you couldn't see s*** but they can see perfectly :)... not realy realistic... but might help? what you think?
I'd say add a bot in the spawn with a machinegun constantly deployed and unable to die. if an enemy gets near, he'll be mowed down by the bot.

And to get a little back on topic, beside the 1 way spawnexit on warsaw for the axis, the high spawntimes completely change how the map must be played. To win you need rifle support in the background and forward pushing smgs.

Upvote 0
[DBDUK]ImIgRaNt said:
Hmmm. How about making smoke/fog(thick fog! basically can't see) that the enemy can't see through but your side can?
you want both spawnes coverd in smoke the whole time? mmm im not to fond of that idea. not really realistic and i think it would hurt the atmosphere.

i think one problem would be that the smoke would have to extend pretty far or it will still be uneffective against spawn-nades.

Zetsumei said:
I'd say add a bot in the spawn with a machinegun constantly deployed and unable to die. if an enemy gets near, he'll be mowed down by the bot.
Infiltration had someting simular.
a invisable sniper-actor that fired 1 warning shot at you when you got to close to spawn, and then start shooting for real.
it worked pretty wel against spawn camping but the map maker still had to make the spawn itself nade proof, and make sure the spawn had multiple exits.
but something like that would definatly not be a bad idea. (as long as they can make it so that it dusnt want to shoot through teammates like the current bots do ;) )

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
you want both spawnes coverd in smoke the whole time? mmm im not to fond of that idea. not really realistic and i think it would hurt the atmosphere.

i think one problem would be that the smoke would have to extend pretty far or it will still be uneffective against spawn-nades.

Infiltration had someting simular.
a invisable sniper-actor that fired 1 warning shot at you when you got to close to spawn, and then start shooting for real.
it worked pretty wel against spawn camping but the map maker still had to make the spawn itself nade proof, and make sure the spawn had multiple exits.
but something like that would definatly not be a bad idea. (as long as they can make it so that it dusnt want to shoot through teammates like the current bots do ;) )
Simply put a bot-operated sniper/machinegun at a spot just outside nade-distance to the spawn point...

Upvote 0