• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best game soundtracks ever?

• Painkiller: The music just matched the fast pace of the game, and fitted the mood.
  • Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear/Ravenshield: Great menu/loading/setup screen music.
  • Metal Gear Solid: The music is so cinematic, it's perfect.
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Still gives me flashbacks of a great game when i hear the Main Theme of this game.
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: The soundtrack contributed greatly to the greatness of the game imo. Set the mood perfectly.
Well, that's all i can come up with right now from the top of my mind.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Game soundtracks that are good for musical/compositional reasons:

Hitman 2 (particularly the End Boss track, not composed by Jesper Kyd, but by a hungarian composer, whose name has slipped my mind)

Many Bill Brown soundtracks, like RTCW, Undying and Trespasser etc, though they are admittedly mostly pastiche pieces written to sound like other composers,

Some tracks from the Final Fantasy games are pretty cool and even sound quite original.

Silent Hill series, particularly the first and second. They're not works of art by any means, but they're very effective, chilling and mostly original sounding.

The tracks from the Medal of Honour games which DON'T sound too much like John Williams are pretty good. Otherwise they're just cheesy. :)

Soundtracks that I like for more nostalgic reasons, where the music isn't actually that great:

Pilotwings 64 (especially Birdman!)

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 (the music here is actually pretty good but it's the atmosphere that does it for me)

Resident Evil 1 and 2

And many other games soundtracks of many years ago.

Upvote 0
If you still have the game discs you can play the music on a cd player - My favorite game soundtrack also though my no.1 is from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Sadly i dont, i coulden't afford a new PC back then, had an old hand-me-down i386 in thouse days, so i played it at a mates, he got it bundled with his Voodoo card so it was the nice Glide version and everything.

We used to listen to that disk all the time, but so many years have passed that its scratched to oblivion, no CD player in existance will read that tattered rag now :(

Upvote 0
A lot of mention to Total War going on in this thread. I will admit that the soundtrack is amazing, but one of the reasons it's so great is that it's dynamic. It has march, combat, win, lose, campaign map, and waiting music. It uses the current mood and what actions are going on remarkably.

If you owned Rome and don't have M2, the soundtrack has included regional lists for where you're fighting. The mid-east sound different than Southern Europe, which is different than Eastern Europe, which is different than Western Europe, which is different than the Americas.

Upvote 0