• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery, AA guns & vehicles, weapon loadout

Raven1986

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2014
Hello folks,

I still remember the sophisticated choices you could make as a mapper concerning the artillery back in RO Mod and I think also Ostfront. You could first select the amount of guns = shells, secondly the hit pattern loose, normal and tight. The third selection was how many salvos artillery barage had.

I think that was great back then and I still believe it great today.

Next thing I'd like to address is AA weapons. We saw the RPG in teasers and previews. What about actual AA guns and AA vehicles? I'd enjoy having a truck with a dual mg mounted to hunt some Hueys.

And last, the weapon loadout. Will it be RO1 style again, so mappers choose the armament? RO2's choice made maps such as Entweichen, which some may still remember, impossible as you couldn't decide to have pistols only, except with a mutator. Will this be changed also?

First, Helicopters aren't flying tanks, unless you want them to fly like tanks... (they'd make terrible helicopters then!)
Second, there is the DSHK .50 cal machine gun, RPD, AK's, various automatic weapons, etc. Not to mention SAM's.
Third, anything can take out the pilot or helicopter, be it a pistol (with an enough magazines) or a DSHK round to the "Jesus Nut".
Fourth, Majority of the "artillery settings" are configurable in the MapInfo section of the WorldInfo for Red Orchestra 2/ Rising Storm.
Fifth, Trucks don't perform well in triple canopy jungles, rivers, or in urban environments where enemy soldiers are running around with explosives in CQC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course helicopters are not tanks. At least not the Huey, other heavy choppers might be.

Vietnam fighting did not just take part in the jungles alone, you have villages, even towns with no jungle at all. Having AA guns on top of some buildings would be neat. I know it needs an extra model, needs animations and such. That is also the reason why I suggested a truck with a mounted AA gun.

Now I totally forgot: Weapon Loadout can't be customized by the mapper. This was a major flaw of RO2. Ostfront mappers were able to balance a map with the weapons allowed on it. Or just make fun maps such as Entweichen. This should be back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They revealed on the stream that the VC will get a SAM missiles as a commander ability that automatically shoots down helicopters above a certain height.

Although it'd be great if we had manual AA guns for the NVA.

zu-23-2_23mm_anti-aircraft_twin-barreled_automatic_canon_Russia_Russian_army_002.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jackett;n2269358 said:
The DSHk essentially functions as an anti-air gun for the helicopters - you can effectively take out or damage a helicopter with a few well-placed bursts.

It's also very satisfying to take out half the squad in the back of a Huey before it even hits the ground :)

Do high calibre rounds penetrate the helicopter and damage people inside similarly to the AT rifles in RO2 killing crewmembers in tanks, or do we need a clear line of sight on the passenger/crew? If they do: can small arms shot in the right places also penetrate? If I fire 7.62 up through the floor of a Huey, am I wasting my ammo?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bluehawk;n2269441 said:
Do high calibre rounds penetrate the helicopter and damage people inside similarly to the AT rifles in RO2 killing crewmembers in tanks, or do we need a clear line of sight on the passenger/crew? If they do: can small arms shot in the right places also penetrate? If I fire 7.62 up through the floor of a Huey, am I wasting my ammo?

Yeah, penetration works, including with stuff like 7.62mm. Choppers are pretty flimsy, what with the needing to defeat gravity thing.

Upvote 0
DZDKommissar;n2269542 said:
Will fast roping/jumping off from a reasonable height be an option? Sometimes the LZ will be too hot to land...maybe literally, with those WP's.

I don't think that fast roping was a thing yet in vietnam. According to wiki it was first used in the Falklands war '82. But jumping out is probably an option, you just have to time it right and hope you dont jump too high.

Upvote 0
There was an optional winch... HMMMM but fast roping looks cool but a hovering chopper 30 meters in the air is OH such a nice fat target. You are better off getting down to the deck behind like actual cover or a low spot on the ground. Only going to be there for like 30 seconds anyways. That whole fast rope thing is only a real option if the enemy does not know your coming. If they are ready for you, you are going to have a bunch of people to bury and need a new chopper. Of course the reality is you try not to land a troop carrying helo anywhere near the enemy. That aint going to happen in game land as its BORING. Better to get shot up while the enemy starts dropping mortars on your LZ.

Upvote 0
Raven1986;n2269602 said:
Does that mean water will react properly to the player? Like it will soften the impact?

Why would water react properly to the player while jumping? Ahh, wait the right question is, what kind of a pilot would land forces in the water? For the real pilot it only makes sense to land in a rice field, where water level is relatively low. So I wouldnt be landing in a knee deep water just to "soft the impact", the more men will die in a water while running like a turtle , rather than in an open field.

Upvote 0