• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Beta opinion!

i though they were conscripts. recruited in the masses, given little training on the equipment and thrown on the front lines (russians)

not true

The Russians threw a lot of good troops into stalingrad, from fighters of the moscow campaign to hardened far eastern troops.

Those that did have little experience were trained on the eastern bank of the volga before being sent to battle.

and as for the point being made...only to most fit super trooper could sprint to exhaustion then stand unsupported and make a clean shot. What is that olympic event with ski's and shooting? I think that shows it can be done. But those are olympians.

I have enough trouble shooting unsupported when I'm completely calm...

Upvote 0
I do agree with OP on some things such as:
-running should be tamed down
-weapon sway is fine but need to kick harder after loosing stamina

But then there are so many other things RO2 makes it to be more realistic than RO1 and better than RO1...

I think if devs descide to adress the 2 issues above mentioned game will feel in the ball park of RO1,but not overdo it,cause sway in RO1 was unrealistic and kicked after 3 seconds,running speed was ok but you run out of breath really fast.

Overall RO2 is awesome,just need few issues to get back some of the original RO taste :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, and sorry it's a long read - I didn't realise how much I'd written until I posted it :eek:

The small issues we share can hopefully be 'corrected' with some small tweaks, and I really hope they are fixed because RO2 shows so much potential. They're certainly not game-breakers, but they do spoil the gameplay somewhat :(

My biggest fear.

Now that I've played the beta a bit, over 8 hours according to steam, I can't help it but agree with you. My fear is related to yours, see, once all the COD junkies are done playing (prbly bout a month in after release since bf3 beta begins i think 1 month before it's release) the dedicated audience (read - RO lovers, Arma lovers, more SIM like lovers) will still remain but that can only happen if these small tweaks are actually made... if left in the current state we can only hope for modders to take up the mantle and make it happen.

The thing is it's so close to "perfect" that I just wanna reach out and grab it but when I try it's pulled away... lol. Now I sound like a 2 year old trying to grab candy from someone and they're luring me in their van???

Before I get WAY off topic I agree with the original post 100%. Please take this post as my vote for the minor changes :D

Upvote 0
I never played RO, but I still approve of OP post.
Shooting after sprinting should mimic the realism.
A bit of pause and stagger may be in order.

A word of advice to old player base:

If you start with "cater to masses" and "lowest common denominator" talk,
you'll eventually ruin the game yourself. You won't need bad decision from devs.

Upvote 0
I liked the original RO, but i have to say i prefer this. I don't think it's perfect, some of what people are saying is right. Looking down the iron sights leads me to believe i'm playing as the hulk.

But the speed thing, i think that's fine, i think the reload speed is fine, and i think the bandaging is fine.

It may not be totally realistic. But really, I'm not sure i want to spend my time running, and i don't want to sit down for 30seconds the bandage myself up. Maybe make it a little longer, but not much. In the end the fun part is moving from cover to cover, shooting and defending - not healing yourself or reloading. I want to spend time doing the fun stuff.

I still think it would be nice if TWI did implement a mode where things were slowed down to make it more realistic for those that do like that, i would probably play it now and then. But overrall i think they've hit the nail on the head.

Trust me, it's still far to scary to attract the current CoD players, so i wouldn't worry about that.

I have not played beta but i'm scared a little now. I would like to see a dev comment on this thread. I do hope it doesn't become another meat grinder with people running and gunning instead of using tactics

I've played it for a few hours. It's somewhat in between, you can go alone and do OK - but not by running around everywhere, you would last no time at all. You still need to be cautious and hide behind cover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there will be plenty of mods to increase the realism and make this game more of a WW2 simulator for those of you that like that kind of thing. However, it is in TWI's best interest to keep the core gameplay similar to how it is for business purposes. RO2 is not for everyone, BUT TWI still has to make some money. And you can't do that if you only cater to the ultra hardcore realism community.

Upvote 0
Again, thanks for all of your comments - they're much appreciated and it's good to see many of you share my thoughts. Hopefully that means something can be done in the near future, by way of official tweaks or realism mods. What a shame it'd be if it needed a realism mod though.. RO of all games! :confused:

I have not played beta but i'm scared a little now. I would like to see a dev comment on this thread. I do hope it doesn't become another meat grinder with people running and gunning instead of using tactics

Sorry Napkin, I don't mean to put anybody off - like I said it's really not a game-breaker and it won't ruin your experience. But the things myself and others have mentioned are there and if you love RO:Ost for it's hardcore realism approach you may be slightly disappointed in some ways.

But there are some seriously awesome things about RO2 that I know you'll love, and sometimes these things outweigh the more negative aspects :)

Head-shots at 200m still feel epic :)

Upvote 0
I think the 'speed' of the game is a lot better now. Doesn't feel like I'm running through syrup and I don't get tired after running for 50 yards. I think some of your other concerns though will be solved by the hardcore mode once it's fully implemented. Being able to see everyone's names, having the minimap, and giving every class a pistol does make run and gun a bit more prevalent but only during close quarters fighting that I've seen, which is kinda the point of close quarters fighting anyway. I agree with your point about the weapons feeling a lot better than they did in RO1.

The one thing that I think kills the fluidity of the game so far is the damn Use/Cover/Bandage key. I can't tell how many times I tried to one of those functions last night while playing and ended up doing one of the other 2. I really can't see how this was kept through every build up to this one, especially with a core group of such avid PC gamers. I have a whole keyboard full of random keys to assign for commander actions and voice coms, splitting up those three actions would make combat so much less frustrating in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Very nice post, Agree 100% the game involves alot less tactical thinking and more run and gun elements which often makes the matches short and unsatisfying. If the running speed was toned down with changes to accuracy depending on exaustion then it would overall make it feel more call of duty ish.

Upvote 0
I don't know about the rest of you, but there's plenty of clumsiness and panic on my end.
Seriously though, on the first day of the beta, I loved it but it seemed like a huge clustercuss. But even just one day later it has slowed down immensely. People are working together and carefully moving. Maybe it was just the server I was on but every round lasted right down to the last objective, for the 6 hours or so I was on. The first day, I was astounded if even one objective was taken before lock out.

Upvote 0
In this regard we can hope that the hardcore realism version will be more in line with what we wish for.

We know it contains no gameplay differences from the Arcade mode currently beeing tested in the Beta, so that will not be the case, TWI wanted to avoid having 2 entirely different games like what has happened in games like the CoD's and the latest BF titles with their "standard" and "hardcore" modes, so the differences are cosmetic and allmost entirely ralated to the HUD, there won't be any significant differences in anything but the amount of information the game gives you.

But i do wonder if this is a mistake, and that perhabs making them different is precisely what's needed.

I think that a lot of the new players comming to Ro2 right now, along with some of the old Ro players who where not into the game for the sake of realism, are liking this faster approach we're seeing here, and infact, they might even prefer a slightly less hardcore take on it than what's currently there.
So there's nothing wrong with the arcade mode (though a little tweaking might make it even better), there is an audience who wants it.

But on the other hand, a lot of us old Ro guys, and people comming over from games like the Arma series are finding it too fast and twitchy, and would prefer a slower and more realist approach.

But since the two modes are currently sharing game mechanics and code, it's creating a problem, and a bit of a forum war around here aswell, between the people who like the arcade mode and want it to stay as is (or would even like it less realist), and the people who would like a more RO1'esque experiance and would like to see some changes made (or even a more realist game than Ro1).

But we've got two modes, so i don't think that problem would even need to exist in the first place, i don't see why the game coulden't be offering both via it's different modes, it would just need some tweaking of both, allowing them to be different.

Not wanting to split the community is a good intension, but when you're trying to combine two very different kinds of player the split will happen regardless of your intensions, and trying to force a marriage between them will only breed contempt..

Upvote 0