• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Interesting Review

>< f4ct0r...13

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
California
The combat is fierce. The avatar weapons are very well done, it feels authentic. Cover and mantling is very good. The maps are detailed, and offer plenty of dramatic play. The fundamental offering of WW2 combat is met, which gives HOS hope for the future.

Where HOS falls down is in leaving the realism genre for an arcade offering. More accurately, it tries to straddle the fence, and predictably, slips and nuts itself with a leg on either side. In trying to please both, HOS pleases neither the realism crowd, nor the arcade crowd.

HOS incorporates all of the tired features of the successful shooters: recon planes, mini-maps, radar, automatic reloading, leveling, and skill grinding. By doing this, it is competing against the biggest gimmick shooter companies. It will lose. TWI does not have the resources to compete on the disposable game market. Therefore, the arcade shooters attracted by bells and whistles will move on to the next game, leaving RO standing in its present state before the realism audience. This will be a dire moment.

An example of one of the gimmicks that are not innovative and that get old quickly is the canned voices. The voices are cute at first, but soon get tedious, as they become the same thing over and over again, or give one away as they are trying to be stealthy. The unintended side effect of canned voices is that players are left unable to communicate in detail about the battlefield. This is an example of a major re playability error. Much more attention should have been given to what players want to say, not what the software is programmed to say.

The more a game plays itself, the more disposable it is. The more a game needs to be played, the more it will endear itself to the community that made RO successful. Canned voices is one example of the game being taken away from players.

That the game lacks any real historical context is another glaring fault that will affect it's long term chances. The maps start and stop with no contextual background, no information on the units fighting, where they are, or why they are there. There is simply a side start screen, and the map starts. An arbitrary battle that ends in a tired theme song and another canned voice.

Modders and map makers will want to tell the story of their contribution. In its present state, HOS is arbitrary in its context, and repetitive in its presentation and conclusion of the map.

HOS destroys Fog of War with recon planes and maps showing enemy locations. This type of feature firmly implants HOS in the genre of disposable game. The realism community requires the puzzle of combat, the arcade crowd required targets presented at a fast pace. When the arcade players move on, HOS will stand before the realism faithful as a redundant, self-playing game.

There are numerous examples of arcade features which violate re-playability fundamentals, but that are critical to the arcade audience.

HOS should have taken advantage of the void re: realism shooters, and entered the game world defiantly: with a solid, realistic game. Instead of blinking-lights, TWI should have focused on features that would make the game dynamic for years to come: flamethrowers, spreading and persistent fire, in-game hero effects, player placed MG positions (not the forever frozen ones it has now) and any other of a myriad of potential things that the scenario of WW2 combat gives.

HOS should have stood firm on the requirements of realism shooters. The response to "I don't know where my enemies are" should not be "Here is a radar". It should be "listen to the battle, you will learn".

It will be very interesting to see where HOS goes from here. The bugs and balance issues will be fixed. What remains to be seen is how the game will rebound from the inevitable disposal it will face, and what the realism faithful will decide to do.

Should HOS have stood firm on the successful features of RO, and elaborated on realism rather than arcade, HOS would have been much more successful, truly innovative, and the chances of producing a market worthy initial product would have been much better.

Last edited:
You missed the one simple obvious fact: For more realisim just join and search for servers set to realisim only! This kills your entire review...

You are wrong. The realism servers still have all of the re-playability killers, and are still geared more for the disposable game crowd.

Secondly, the realism servers, should they be devoid of all the blinking lights, would still not have the dynamic combat features that HOS should have gone to market with.

Therefore, the point that by trying to satisfy both arcade and realism, HOS fails both, or will only enjoy temporary success with one, stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piscator
Upvote 0
I disagree with most of what you said. This game has fantastic immersion, the sense of drama and story behind every map is not something which needs to be pointed out. The game is made for WW2 gaming veterans and such people know pretty much everything about every fight which this game tries to reenact.

If the path of "realism" you are suggesting means that, in your opinion, TWI should have made a more Arma2 style game...No thanks, I'll stick to this "arcade".

Upvote 0
@>< f4ct0r...13
I feel the same for most part. Well written and truly spoken. The game loses its appeal much more quickly than ROOST and one reason is that as you pointed out the replayabilty. Many maps are too short for epic battles and lockdown just kills it before anything can develop. It becomes too repetitive after some time it seems...

@maleficarus
similar to what I wrote to you on the other thread you seem to not understand or read these posts properly before commenting. So again you are missing the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must say that I agree with the review. TWI made a big mistake when they decided to go into competition with all the other arcade-shooters. What made RO1 so fantastic was, that it did not imitate the arcade-shooters, but stood firmly on doing what they are so good at. Someone should have told them to keep on that path ...oh wait, we did!

Now I hope that the mod-community will make it right, or maybe TWI will make some major changes to the design.

Upvote 0
I totally agree, while a full-on Arma style game might have been a bit much the game should have been more towards the realism side and incorporated realistic things thins like mobile MG placement in a constrained context (what we call gameynes or arcadeyness). As it stands RO2 is an arcade-lite, when it should have been a realism-lite.

Lockdown is also one of the worst features I have had the displeasure of experiencing. It consistently ends the match when it is just getting good and ruins the pacing of the game.

One thing your review did neglect to mention was weapon balance, however, which is very poor at the moment. The Germans have much better weaponry due to the inclusion of ultra rare prototypes like the MKB and MP40/ii, which simultaneously breaks realism -and- gameplay balance. It is in this way that the weapon balance fails in both regards and could be rightfully said to be a complete failure.

Upvote 0
The game is dumbed-down realism and is nowhere near as gritty as RO1. Some things are better in HoS, some things are simply just worse.

This has kept the arcade-lovers happy, and lined TW's pockets.

Other people have been let down.

The hardcore realism settings in-game are pretty pathetic and alter only the HUD which was always easily done in RO by simply turning it off in the options. It changes none of the unrealistic gameplay and still smacks of TW bending over to receive large meat from the run-and-gun generation.

RO2 simply isn't very realistic.

But if you like it that way, it's a pretty good game.

Reactions: Kenobi
Upvote 0
almost total bollocks. Historical context is there, have you even played the SP? Did no t the title of the game give you a clue? Did you know they went out and did extensive research? see grain elevator for instance.
I agree there is some tension between the desire to please the realism community and the need to expand but the argument has been done to death already in the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damo and Rhym3z
Upvote 0
Therefore, the arcade shooters attracted by bells and whistles will move on to the next game, leaving RO standing in its present state before the realism audience. This will be a dire moment.

When the arcade players move on, HOS will stand before the realism faithful as a redundant, self-playing game.

Should HOS have stood firm on the successful features of RO, and elaborated on realism rather than arcade, HOS would have been much more successful, truly innovative, and the chances of producing a market worthy initial product would have been much better.

I think there are elements of truth in this that can't be ignored. I wouldn't say I agree 100%, but I think there is a chance that RO2 won't do quite enough to prevent people moving over to other shiny games like BF3. Then I think TWI will make an effort to please the other side of their fan base, but not until they have exhausted the possibility of competing against the big names head on

Reactions: Rhym3z
Upvote 0
almost total bollocks. Historical context is there, have you even played the SP? Did no t the title of the game give you a clue? Did you know they went out and did extensive research? see grain elevator for instance.
I agree there is some tension between the desire to please the realism community and the need to expand but the argument has been done to death already in the forums.

I assume that they did enough research to be safe in knowledge that every sixth German had an MK42 proto-type?

Whoops. :eek:

Upvote 0
i agree.
this game lacks a lot of what made RO, RO
its missing any real atmosphere.
It doesnt portray the horrors of war at all.
RO1 wasnt gory or anything, but you had to take your time.
This doesnt fit with the realistic ww2 shooter.
and its nowhere near good enough to be competitive to any other AAA shooters.

For one thing, they really should have at least waited a month to release this game, its really shocking that they did, and that so many people are so blind to its faults.

They really shouldn't have tried to appeal to other audiences because at the end of the day, other audiences is not what RO is about.
Ok it might be a business decision, but that doesnt stop people from showing there disappointments.

I feel the only saviour of this game is MODS.
Because even if the bugs/ performance issues are removed, doesnt mean this game will suddenly start being good.
Its just Hugely generic and with so many generic games, it doesnt have the legs on any of them.

The OP has pointed out many issues that are apparent in this game.
Some people will not see it as they obviously like this game, and that ok, ur standards might be questionable but thats fine.
I just hate it when people ignore these facts and try to justify spending their money and just sit there hoping for the best.

+1

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenobi
Upvote 0