• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Interesting Review

Not sure I would have self titled this "An Interesting Review." It is however a reasonable examination of what the game does. I too would like the map loading screens to share real-life historical context to the map and the situation. This would place the map in context for those who don't bother with the single player campaign.

Although I enjoy the voices "Grenade!" "Get that MG" "Suppress him" I can see where people might think it irritating. Perhaps an option to turn it off/make it inaudible to other enemy players would solve the whole stealth thing.

Your suggestions for the game are all just little bits and pieces that would be nice to have, that said, combined, they would enhance the situational awareness of the maps.

As is, I still believe this game to be en exciting, reasonably paced, tactical shooter. Get into a server with proper communication, teamwork, and excellent squad mates, RO2 really shines. Things will improve, this is only a starting point.

Upvote 0
Who wrote this? How much time did they spend in game? Honestly, everybody's an expert. I can tell you without a doubt, this one appeared with a huge cliantele ready to leap. My organization is spending over $400.00 a month just to host this thing. The gaming community does not throw this kind of money around on flash in the pan design.

Upvote 0
They really shouldn't have tried to appeal to other audiences because at the end of the day, other audiences is not what RO is about.
Ok it might be a business decision, but that doesnt stop people from showing there disappointments.

I think you can make games more user friendly and inviting to players from other game styles, without compromising on the core game. With RO2 they just went too far imo.

Levelling and unlocks are fine if done subtly and without interfering with the core gameplay or game theme.

Informative interface/hud is fine, with optional hints

Where I draw the line is more actual gameplay mechanics like recoil, sway, number of easy mode weapons and unrealistic weapon types on the battlefield. I care more for gameplay with realism taking second place, but for me they haven't excelled in either area

I commend them for attempting to brind RO gameplay to a wider audience but I feel they lost something in the process

Reactions: AstheWorldWorlds
Upvote 0
I have liked this game....it does seem very different than games like CoD. One thing I did notice is you can avoid failing missions for the most part by waiting until you have a full squad to attack. If I get killed and there are only 2 squad member left I'll hunker down until another set of reinforcements arrive. Not exactly realistic but I guess if you knew reinforcements were coming in a real battle you would hunker down until they came.
As for reviews..I checked user reviews on metacritic and they were all over the place....a lot of 9/10's but a number of 0's too.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with Rhym3z and Damo.
I also believe that the "new cut" of the RO franchise ("dumbed down realism", great definition) is not incidental but a precise commercial choice.

I am a bit disappointed but i believe RO2, after some much needed fixing, may still be a good thing for the "purists" also. The community could wonders.

Upvote 0
I agree with the review.
I am no RO:OST elitist who thinks nothing but ultra-realism or old-fashioned RO is the only thing worth playing, but:

I remember playing RO:OST on larger maps, where choosing the mp40 could be fatal if spotted by an enemy rifleman at long range. I compare this to a game on Fallen Fighters yesterday where I could pick of several riflemen and the enemy marksman with the MKB (overpowered or not) at 180 meters before I was flanked. I have yet not found a reason for me to choose any other weapon than MKB or MP40, since they give me far more advantages than disadvantages. Obviously the accuracy is good enough to compete with riflemen, and if I miss the first shot i have another 29 or so at my fingertip.

I remember gazing at the horizon through the Panthers sights, telling my trusted driver to turn, move back and advance while I was estimating whether it was 900m or 1000m to the target tank, who had not yet spotted us. We hid in bushes, ambushing tanks and infantry pushing by, really rewarded by each kill (or hit for that matter). This experience really made me hype ROHOS when I realized that tank warfare would be even more immersive. This I have not yet experienced.

I really like ROHOS and will keep playing, however I can not help but feel a bit dissapointed. I do believe that TWI have compromised the authentic RO-feeling to engage more casual players. They are indeed still in the front when it comes to realism and immersion, but in my opinion it is a step back from RO:OST.

Perhaps RO-fans are to few to actually get a game that fully represent their expectations. Perhaps the average gamer is to valuable to ignore when it comes to crossroads in development.

I can not help but feel that

Upvote 0
The game is dumbed-down realism and is nowhere near as gritty as RO1. Some things are better in HoS, some things are simply just worse.

This has kept the arcade-lovers happy, and lined TW's pockets.

Other people have been let down.

The hardcore realism settings in-game are pretty pathetic and alter only the HUD which was always easily done in RO by simply turning it off in the options. It changes none of the unrealistic gameplay and still smacks of TW bending over to receive large meat from the run-and-gun generation.

RO2 simply isn't very realistic.

But if you like it that way, it's a pretty good game.

All thats true, but I dunno if they lined their pockets much. I was planning on buying the game, but when i read the feedback from the beta, the glaring bugs, and lastly the fact they seemed to have abandoned the whole theme of realism which got me interested in the first place, I decided not to buy. Which is really too bad, because I was really looking forwards too an accessible, but realistic shooter.
Oh well, we can only hope mods like Rising Storm fix it, or Darkest Hour 2 comes out. Until then, I'll stick with battlefield.

Upvote 0
This review carries a lot of insight that many people will not realize is true until they play the game more. It strikes me with many worrying consistencies to BfBc2. Great if played for 5 hours, once you play beyond that the gimmicks rear their ugly heads and become annoying.

I've already gone and done the real language tweak, and tried to find servers with better weapon ballance. The sad thing is RO2 is so close to being RO1 that you can always smell it in the wind, but never grasp it. were there a RO1 mode made tommorrow, by the middle of next week we'd probably see 50% of the servers playing RO1 mode.

small edit bout the language. As I am taking German classes I really like the real language because I can make out most of what is being said, some of them are also funny. IE playing as yesterday on appartments and after shooting an enemy my avatar said something then followed it up with "Ich macht ihr tot!" -> " I make you dead!". I laughed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenobi
Upvote 0
I assume that they did enough research to be safe in knowledge that every sixth German had an MK42 proto-type?

Whoops. :eek:

What does it matter? If you are having fun with your bolt action and I am having fun with my MKB, whats the problem? This is not a sim or some historical, virtual reinactment. It's a video game who's sole purpose for being is the entertainment of its' players. Lighten up Francis.

Upvote 0
Already stopped playing it. Sadly enough, i find myself wishing i had spent that $40 on the snacks i will now be buying as i enjoy ostfront, rather than on your retarded clone of call of duty. 4 years of roost and its still not boring to me *hint hint*

Once people start modding you might as well play RO2, since there will be more players. But I guess you can't mod everything to everyone's satisfaction. Personally I don't like playing games you have to mod

Upvote 0