• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I really the only one who hates tanks?

I think RO has done an amazing job with its armor system, though, even with the bugs. It's LIGHT YEARS ahead of its competition. People like to nitpick this and that about it, but try playing any of the Battlefield games or their mods.

Forgotten Hope had a more robust tank combat system imo, with large maps and threat of airforce,PF being one shot one kill,but At class carrying only one PF,infantry avoiding tanks,hitting from sides and rear were most of the time one shot kills,shermans sometimes t34s inable to damage tigers kingtigers from front, driving a tank from cover to cover to avoid enemy planes,hiding in one spot and enjoying one shot kills where other players were not even able to spot you, were all fun except some maps still kept the damn engineer class,but it was acceptable since quality tanks spawnedevery 3-5 minutes and sometimes front was 4-5 minutes of driving distance with the threat of being blown up by a Stuka or P47 enroute and whole repair thing longed more than a minute.
I felt i had to advocate FH :)

so i wouldnt say light years ahead but it will be far far better than anything if they'd nerf the benefits(bugs) of angling system where:
you shoot at top of an t34 engines grid from above only to see your AP shell bounce off or shooting 2 PFs to some t34 to its rear from point blank where both bouncing again thanks to "angling".

Upvote 0
Ehm... really? I think this thread brings up some interesting views on the tanks in RO.
Anyway, god doesn't exist. The concept of god is invented by man to explain things which he cannot fathom.

discussions about god in a thread. Its a matter of believing. There is no prov against or for it.

anyway. The tanks are fun to play. But there is no doubt that they are compared to infantry not working. I think the most hard-core tankers realize what is meant.
I cant wait to get one day maybe, the Tiger II in game, and the endless threads about "killing King Tigers is impossible SHFCHFUKKK!!!"

Oh ... and guys you DONT hate tanks! You love them, you just dont know it yet!!! YOU LOVE THEM! :mad: :p :eek:

Upvote 0
I personally love tanks as well as infantry, but I can see what some people mean by maps like arad...I mean that map is so crappy...and yet there are tons of 24/7 servers.

I like my tank maps in two forms

Full on tank maps like black day july and orel where there are massive distances and long range tank combat.

or 2

Real combined arms maps like Brezenia and Gorlitz where there are 1-2 tanks but the main focus is on infantry moving in with tanks as support to lauch he into buildings and provide cover.

Maps like arad are terrible where infantry is basically just second string to tanks and the tanks are at such close ranges that it is stupid. I never understand the obsession with arad...I think most arad players are just afraid to try new maps or think arad is the only tank map.

Upvote 0
I personally love tanks as well as infantry, but I can see what some people mean by maps like arad...I mean that map is so crappy...and yet there are tons of 24/7 servers.

I like my tank maps in two forms

Full on tank maps like black day july and orel where there are massive distances and long range tank combat.

or 2

Real combined arms maps like Brezenia and Gorlitz where there are 1-2 tanks but the main focus is on infantry moving in with tanks as support to lauch he into buildings and provide cover.

Maps like arad are terrible where infantry is basically just second string to tanks and the tanks are at such close ranges that it is stupid. I never understand the obsession with arad...I think most arad players are just afraid to try new maps or think arad is the only tank map.
Arad is fun as infantry, it was even more fun when it still had ClownCars.

Modded versions like Arad-SH-4 are a blast, they have the Clown Car and lots of panzerfausts.

In a good round the Soviets take the fields with tanks, while the German infantry holds down the Villages. But things get crazy when Russians start picking up panzerfausts off the dead Germans and take back N.Village.

PT-Soldat, and Pak Soldat are great fun on Arad.

Upvote 0
I tried, tried and tried.

But the one thing that made me quit playing tanks for RO once and for all was when a t34\76 destroyed me from 1000 meter hitting once in the front armor.

I Drove a Tiger I.....

(Oh my shell bounced off the t34)

Yep..... armour blows

do you see any chance this problem can be because of bad tanker?

Upvote 0
I tried, tried and tried.

But the one thing that made me quit playing tanks for RO once and for all was when a t34\76 destroyed me from 1000 meter hitting once in the front armor.

I Drove a Tiger I.....

(Oh my shell bounced off the t34)

Yep..... armour blows

Yes, miracles do happen, even in a videogame like RO. Just bad luck for you. But if something like that turned you off to tanking, you're probably better off anyway. In the countless hours I've tanked I've had to stomach even more ridiculously ridiculous circumstances.

Upvote 0
[Are tanks really the future of this game, since we've mostly seen tank updates - or will infantry be getting some loving and caring strokes at the developers' desks? Am I really alone in feeling that infantry is the back bone of this game?

Havent the last 2 official new maps from Tripwire been Infantry maps.

IMHO the tank (zipperhead) maps have some appealing aspects over grunt only maps such as:
1. They play a little slower than grunt maps, requiring some attention detail such as angle of deflection, target and shot selection (do you try that front armor shot on that tiger at 500m).
2. Tank team work is essential to winning games.
3. Team Tanking requires good communication and trust in the other tanker.
4. Firing on a friendly might not TK first shot, so you get a chance to stop firing before you TK.:eek:
5. It takes a little longer to get back into position after respawning.
6. After respawing, you cant just go back to the spot you got wasted and shoot the tank that did you in.
7. Tank maps are not necessarily won by the guy with the quickest mouse reactions.

Upvote 0
Tanks in RO have to be taken with the proverbial 'grain of salt'- they are the best you're going to find in a game of this caliber, hands down, even with all the little flaws and glitches we've all come to know and love (and exploit when we can).

Certainly, many of us in the RO community have lamented on how thin-skinned Tiger I's seem to be, and how over-powerful the lowly Clown Car is in comparison...but to rehash all the hundreds of threads devoted to that would be pointless.

It is true that some of the tank-heavy servers seem to get 'all the action'- but think about it: they wouldn't be getting all the action if the perceievd majority of players didn't like tank maps to begin with! As the old saying goes- map it, and they will play it.

Don't get down on tanks in RO; they are great fun and the most realistic I've seen in a mainstream PC game- far and above over what CoD ever thought about! Let tankers be tankers, and grunts be grunts- and work TOGETHER to accomplish the mission. Remember, tanks might break an enemy line, but infantry has to stand there to say it's yours.

Upvote 0
Forgotten Hope had a more robust tank combat system imo, with large maps and threat of airforce,PF being one shot one kill,but At class carrying only one PF,infantry avoiding tanks,hitting from sides and rear were most of the time one shot kills,shermans sometimes t34s inable to damage tigers kingtigers from front, driving a tank from cover to cover to avoid enemy planes,hiding in one spot and enjoying one shot kills where other players were not even able to spot you, were all fun except some maps still kept the damn engineer class,but it was acceptable since quality tanks spawnedevery 3-5 minutes and sometimes front was 4-5 minutes of driving distance with the threat of being blown up by a Stuka or P47 enroute and whole repair thing longed more than a minute.
I felt i had to advocate FH :)

so i wouldnt say light years ahead but it will be far far better than anything if they'd nerf the benefits(bugs) of angling system where:
you shoot at top of an t34 engines grid from above only to see your AP shell bounce off or shooting 2 PFs to some t34 to its rear from point blank where both bouncing again thanks to "angling".

Sorry, but I played FH for a VERY long time (from 0.5 through 0.67 or so), and RO is absolutely light years better. That's not a dig at the FH devs, of course. They did a fantastic job with what is probably one of the worst designed and least mod-friendly engines out there (the BF1942 engine). They put in as much realism as they could.

But FH lacks a LOT of realism that RO has. Not necessarily realism you can see, but realism behind the scenes. RO bothers to model angle of impact -- something FH doesn't do as far as I know (and can't, due to the engine limits). FH has a limited penetration model that lacks the "Sweet spots" that RO's armor model has. You'll never de-track a tank in FH. You can (albeit rarely) in RO. You'll never cripple the engine in FH, nor will you get a one-shot kill because you hit the ammo store.

Again, this isn't to say "FH sux!! OMG!!! RO is teh aw3s0me!!!" in some blindly partisan way. The FH devs did a great job with the crappy engine they were dealing with. But RO has a lot more nuance to its tank combat.

Oddly, I think this actually works AGAINST RO's tank combat sometimes. Because the devs made an attempt at realism (but didn't go 100% in some places and have some wackiness in others), people seize upon the deviations from realism and nitpick them to death. For example, for the most part long range tank combat works fine in RO. But short range tank combat is totally screwy. Shots that should penetrate ricochet all the time when you get below about 200m. Shell velocity is slower than real life, angling is overmodeled, etc.

But, in a game like FH, which only barely attempts to model realistic tank combat and then only at a very superficial level, no one bats an eye. They accept the limitations of the engine, they accept that the game is fundamentally built on an arcade shooter with ZERO realism (seriously, try playing the original BF1942 some time. It's mindblowing.), and they don't complain about "ZOMG!!! The T-34 shouldn't be penetrating my armor at 550m because they could only penetrate at below 535m!!!"

That's not to say the complaints about RO's wonkiness in the tank system are never legit. Sometimes they are. But I think that it's because RO IS realistic in some senses, but doesn't go the full monty that frustrates people more than a game that is unabashedly arcadey.

Upvote 0
tanking in RO:O was fun. perfect, no. fun, yes. this game would have sold 30-50% less units without the tanks. I estimate you'd have half the player base by now (one year after relase date), then you do now, if there were no tanks.

Tanks are (and were) an essential piece of what RO:O is now. I would not have given this game a second look (or thought) but for the tanks. there are (and were) plenty of infantry-only shooters out there. A dime-a-dozen if you will.

while RO's infantry stuff is a bit better than most, it's not that much better to justify buying yet another WWII FPS game. I mean, please. TWI knew that, and acted clearly on cogent thought. it's pretty simple, making a game to appeal to a greater number of players.

A search will reveal dozens of old threads on this. Put simply, many of us would rather visit the dentist for a root canal procedure, than suffer the mind-numbingly boring, and coma-inducing infantry only combat.

who can account for contrary taste? I can't. reminds me of the "lead a horse to water" phrase. there's no reason an infantry-only grunt should not be happy playing on a combined arms map.

brilliant map designers like Slyk, brought you all 2 oustanding combined arms maps. they had some good initial success. however, instead of being embraced, they were sort of sloughed off to a niche status. that was shameful frankly. equally shameful was the fact that RO_Berezina took no 1st prize in any of the mapping contests. disgraceful.

perhaps, to come full circle, this infantry-only crowd doesn't deserve the likes of those that want to integrate tanks for a more realistic gaming experience. If I were Slyk, I would not bother with this crowd anymore. I'd take my mapping skills and move on to the likes of Theater of War (ToW) (where many tankers from here will likely be going) or to Combat Mission:Strike Force (and it's eventual WWII ex-packs).

I know as of 4/19 I'll be tanking in ToW (pre-ordered already) and getting back to that realistic WWII combined arms experience. This is not to say tanking in RO:O was not a great time, as it indeed was! I played RO:O for near 310 hours, and dollars-to-doughnuts 290+ hours if that was in a tank.

it was a great time indeed. it's a shame the community's efforts were not more unitarian in result. hey, I have a great idea...let's make another infantry-only map. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Upvote 0
I don't think it's boring, but I do think that infantry only WHEN you have the option of tanks or combined arms is a waste. I'd rather play a larger CA map than an infantry only map, although honestly, the big thing I want is variety. My ideal server is one that runs a full mix of infantry only, tank only, and CA maps, with a focus on CA maps (which I think are the best of both worlds).

Upvote 0
I don't think it's boring, but I do think that infantry only WHEN you have the option of tanks or combined arms is a waste. I'd rather play a larger CA map than an infantry only map, although honestly, the big thing I want is variety. My ideal server is one that runs a full mix of infantry only, tank only, and CA maps, with a focus on CA maps (which I think are the best of both worlds).

oh yes, during Winter Cup, map Konigplatz was played and I have to say that it is amazing for clan play - definately one of the best from all RO maps.

Upvote 0
Taking a few weeks off from RO has really changed me opinion about the game. I used to find infantry combat tedious at best. Maps like StalingradKessel, Danzig (which I hate) and Krasnyi (that too) made me quit the game and go play something else. But now, with Smolensk Stalemate, Makhnovo, and the map wtih the German village with camo uniforms, I really like infantry combat, not just on those maps, but on nearly all of the old ones I didn't like before (apart from Danzig and Krasnyi).

Tanks on the other hand used to be the only maps I'd play, but after the 100th time of getting raped by the invulnerable T34 I gave up.

Upvote 0
oh yes, during Winter Cup, map Konigplatz was played and I have to say that it is amazing for clan play - definately one of the best from all RO maps.

Koenigsplatz is a fun map but it's hardly what I'd call a combined arms map. For the most part, the tanks on that map are an afterthought. It's pretty much an infantry map with a few tanks, much like Hedgehog.

Honestly, the best combined arms maps are custom maps. It doesn't get any better than Berezina, to my way of thinking. Merely putting a tank on a map doesn't magically turn it into a combined arms map. Combined arms means that the infantry, armor, and halftracks have to coordinate their actions. Koenigsplatz CAN work that way, but you can just as easily ignore the tanks altogether.

Of the official maps, I'd say the best combined arms maps are Bondarevo and Rakowice.

Upvote 0
mhh, getting off topic but.. I dont agree. The tanks on Konigs are a significant tool. It really depends on the teams and how those tanks are used. Once again, pubs dont tell the tale when compared to planned tank placement. You can set up the tanks in such a way, tanks from both teams, that it is nigh impossible to even get close to them as infantry. Combine the mobile MG nest factor with HE shells and you have a tide turning instrument.

Put simply, many of us would rather visit the dentist for a root canal procedure, than suffer the mind-numbingly boring, and coma-inducing infantry only combat.

ahaha Heinz <3

Upvote 0