• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I really the only one who hates tanks?

Personally, I really enjoy the tank system, but I think its real failing is in the design of many of the maps.

Most tank maps are really close range and relatively simplistic affairs as far as tank combat goes. They play more like an infantry map (when you're actually in a tank).

I think RO has done an amazing job with its armor system, though, even with the bugs. It's LIGHT YEARS ahead of its competition. People like to nitpick this and that about it, but try playing any of the Battlefield games or their mods.

On longer range maps like Orel and Black Day in July, you see the real potential for tanks. I think one of the biggest problems, though, is that people don't really know how to use them and don't know how to work as a team. Whether you're team tanking or going it alone, there's a LOT more to tanking than simple gunnery and "angle at 11 or 1". What's more, I think that tanking requires a LOT more teamwork to be effective.

Try playing a round of BDJ on a disorganized team and watch as you get your ass kicked. Try playing it with a team that's mostly using VOIP and watch as you steamroll the opposition.

i also think infantry is generally more intuitive AND more forgiving of different playstyles. To really have fun in a tank map, you need something a lot of gamers don't have: patience. As deliberate and slow-paced as RO's infantry combat is (by comparison to other FPS games), tanking in RO is WAY slower paced and requires a LOT more deliberation and thought to really do well. People don't want to take the time to learn that, and even if they did learn HOW to do it, might simply not enjoy the slower pace of tank combat.

There's also a lot of players with misconceptions about how tank combat "ought" to work out there, often because of a fundamental misunderstanding of tank combat in the war (in real life, I mean) vs. how it plays out in game. They hear stories of the fearsome German panzers and Tigers and expect to be invincible in-game. When they either misuse the equipment or fail to understand the differences between how the game plays and how the war was really fought, they get frustrated.

Anyway, overall, I think the tanks are great. Many official maps are not my cup of tea, but some folks like 'em. For other folks, the tanking system just ain't for them. There's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't mean that the system itself ****s. Just that the system isn't for them.

Upvote 0
I am a tread head to the core. Give me a rifle and I am at a loss as I try to sight in on a pixle across the board... Put me in a tank though and I can land shot on target at 800 meters with ease.

The tank system has its flaws as does the infantry system. Yes, the tanks can't go over a low wall but the infantry can't climb a fence. It is a wash in my opinion. People don't like the amount of AT assets around but at the same time remember those tanks keep respawning. There is nothing like getting to a great point on Konigsplatz to kill some Soviet tanks, running out of AT assets and then having to run across the map to get more while the tanks keep coming. At long as tanks continue to respawn so should AT assets.

The beauty of RO is you can play either. I see plenty of servers loaded with infantry maps as well as tank maps. True combined arms maps like Konigsplatz rock.

Upvote 0
I've been in a tank(Modern Howitzer) and it's damn loud. Especially when they turn on the hydraulics, you can't even hear yourself speaking. That's why they have headsets, otherwise it's impossible to communicate. I don't even talk about the engine roaring :) Same goes to outside.

I'm somewhat neutral with tanks in RO, I love them and hate them at the same time. I like them because no other WW2 game has them in this depth as RO, I hate them because they're not good yet. They're "acceptable", but whole tanking system needs an overhaul sometime. Penetration system is weird and tank handling is awful for example.

Upvote 0
TBH, I got so tired of the way tanks are implemented in RO I just stopped playing tank only maps. I've probably already ranted on this before, but I can't remember if I did so bear with me. I hate the way that almost all tanks basically drive, angle, stop, then become a fixed gun until all targets are dead (or if it's arad, they might never move). Because if you move, you can't see, can't reload, etc. Even though having two seperate spots for driver/gunner is more realistic, it ends up making the tanks behave in completely unrealistic ways when the single player inevitably crews them.

I wish there was a good way to have the default position be commander, and you can give 'orders' to a phantom driver. Maybe you press the go left/right/forward keys to steer and your voice shouts out the corresponding command periodically, under the guise of giving those orders to the driver.

Of course the answer in a perfect world would be 2 people to every tank, but due to lack of players, too small servers, and the fact that the team that actually does this on a full server will lose to sheer numbers makes it unlikely.

Upvote 0
As others have said, it's probably because tanks are so far off compaired to the inf game when it comes to realism it seems like something wrong.

All the issues with over modelled richocets, instant eject, crazy physics how they move (almost can't roll over, esp the clown card) or can't go over the smallest bush or fence, hitpoint damage model (ug) etc. create way more gameyness than the inf game. Angles for the richocet game, instant eject and sachel or doing donuts in the cap zone with the clown car... etc.

Combined arms maps with only 1-2 tanks per side work well with tanks giving you that, omg feel as you race for cover. It also gives the attacker (in those assault map) the needed extra push according to the map design and can be very cool with HE blowing out strongpoints.

But when it comes to full tank maps, especially with clown cars, it's a Quake like freeforall. If I just want to screw around for 20min and not be serious, I just play tank maps.

Kurtz, the easiest way of doing it would be to have the tank keep doing what it's doing when you switch. WWII Online is like that. If you're moving forward and you switch to gunner, it keeps moving forward. If you're loading and/or rotating turrent when you go driver, it keeps doing so.

T.

Upvote 0
Tanks are terrible. It depresses me to see that, sometimes, the only servers full in RO are 24/7 tank-only servers.

Looking at the status of the Arad-only server makes me want to vomit.
My buddy Crim covered my feelings quite nicely. Maybe if they fixed the armour of tanks in RO it would be better. It is still fun to sometimes put in some HE's and go to town.

Upvote 0
Some tanks might be more silent then others when moving, but a firing tank is one of the loudest noises ive ever heard.. even 500-600 meters away the faint hearted would panic from the sheer BOOM of a tank firing. (Although I dunno about WWII tanks im speaking of today).
Oh and my friend, you are not alone.. I really hate tank maps as well.

the T34 had the disadvantange that it could be heard already very early. A lot more noice then many axis tanks.

for the tanks in game. They could be a lot more funny without the bugs AND unrealistic gameplay. Like the sattchels, richochets, use of HE against angled tanks etc. just to mention a few examples.

I like both aspects of the game. Infantry and tanks very much. But at the moment tanks are sometimes more frustrating then fun to play.

That was already a heavy problem in the mod times. A somewhat (more or less ...) realistic infantry combat, mixed with arcade like tanks fightings. ... was always a strange mix.

Upvote 0
Tanks are what keep bringing me back to the game. However tank-centric gameplay is only fun on large maps. Unfortunately with all the stock maps, any enemy tank you can see can also destroy you immediately. But in big maps like BDJ and Orel, you can see enemy tanks and not have to worry about immediately defending yourself. You can keep moving and get into a better position. This tactical mindgame is as compelling as any I find in the infantry side of the game.

Feel sorry for you tank haters.

Upvote 0
Tanks are terrible. It depresses me to see that, sometimes, the only servers full in RO are 24/7 tank-only servers.

Looking at the status of the Arad-only server makes me want to vomit.
Yup.

I really dislike it when I open my server browser and see 10 servers with pings under 120, and they are...

RO-Arad
RO-Arad
RO-danzig
RO-Arad-SH
RO-AradNight
RO-Rakowice
RO-Aradpur3
RO-danzig

Christ.

Upvote 0
Yup.

I really dislike it when I open my server browser and see 10 servers with pings under 120, and they are...

RO-Arad
RO-Arad
RO-danzig
RO-Arad-SH
RO-AradNight
RO-Rakowice
RO-Aradpur3
RO-danzig

Christ.

First off, Christ had and has nothing to do with anything we are all about here in RO. ;)

I am so overjoyed to know that this thread is really a humorous spoof.. because if it were genuine and serious, it makes many folks here appear as whiney little brats with nothing better to do than sit and cry the blues. :D :D

Go play the game!! Have some fun!! Or at least when you bring the whine, please be so kind and bring some cheese too. :)

Upvote 0