• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the Flamethrower..

It's also possible they are saving that capability for a second flamethrower or other firebug weapon.

Referring to Wall of Fire.

That would be awesome as hell, like there would be three tiers of flamethrowers, tier one is gas, tier two is classic liquid, and tier three is some kind of dangerous flamethrower, like the chemical compound the Nazi's experimented on and even they thought it was too dangerous :D

Upvote 0
The best flamethrower in a videogame still belongs to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

A little weird that they didnt made the flamethrower in kf2 like the weapon from Red Orchestra 2. That flamethrower looked amazing.....

Oh man, 2 of my favorite flamethrowers ever. I haven't played the beta, but I really want to test out the FT as soon as I pick up early access. I was hoping the FT would be like ro2 ft as well. I think we will have to wait and see what devs have planned for Firebug. Could be multiple types of FT's as other people are saying.

Upvote 0
The best flamethrower in a videogame still belongs to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

A little weird that they didnt made the flamethrower in kf2 like the weapon from Red Orchestra 2. That flamethrower looked amazing.....

Agreed x 10. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. It looked really good in one of the very early videos after KF2's announcement. The Husks looks so much better unless my eyes are somehow deceiving me.

Upvote 0
In the videos it doesn't look quite as good as I thought it would be, I agree something more like Ro2/RS flamethrower effects would be good.

*Also remember for the first time seeing the RTCW flamethrower on the demo map Omaha and being really impressed, for its time and even nowadays its still good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that the charred textures are actually working with the latest patch (they look amazing btw), are the devs going to work on the flame effects themselves? To be honest they look like crap in first person and don't quite match how they the flame "jets" out in third person. Instead they just kinda puff out. However in this video https://youtu.be/uBajbC3_5Zw?t=3m34s the flamethrower looks amazing and how it should be. Is the current version the one they plan to stick with or are they still working on achieving the same effects in this video?

Upvote 0
Now that the charred textures are actually working with the latest patch (they look amazing btw), are the devs going to work on the flame effects themselves? To be honest they look like crap in first person and don't quite match how they the flame "jets" out in third person. Instead they just kinda puff out. However in this video https://youtu.be/uBajbC3_5Zw?t=3m34s the flamethrower looks amazing and how it should be. Is the current version the one they plan to stick with or are they still working on achieving the same effects in this video?

I think that it's a trick of the eyes, those seem to be the same sort of flame effects we have now to be honest. The ones we have now look better in third person also.

That being said I also hope for this to be part of the plan, since they themselves captured it really well in rising storm. Doesn't make sense to me to have the current effects be final.

I hope there'll be information on this in the future.

Upvote 0
The Husk version looks fantastic when it starts hosing down everything. It's probably too optimistic to ask for the Husk version, a KF1/tanked napalm armageddon variant, and the current one all as different tiers.

It's ok as a trash clearer on lower difficulties and eats through crawlers and clots. It also makes them go into the burning animation at a certain point. I don't know if it really works on the scrakes yet. They're supposed to be the Frankenstein's zeds that hate fire the most but there's no way to get enough damage output to stop them. You technically are supposed to 'control yourself' and 'conserve ammo' with the flamethrowers but it was fun to spray everything in KF1. The ammo was dirt cheap and a full tank could do more damage to big zeds than people thought.

Attachments

• 2015-05-02_00014.jpg
    2015-05-02_00014.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-05-02_00012.jpg
    2015-05-02_00012.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-05-02_00015.jpg
    2015-05-02_00015.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I've used it one time and it's not worth it. The flame graphic is not really good. It does not much damage and the ammo go down quick. Also as stated in this thread but I did not notice, no burnt graphic on zed. And finally, I was expecting that at least, the zed could stay in fire and die of fire in let's say 5 seconds.

The only good point of this weapon is it does not take a lot of skill to kill compare to the rest of the arsenal.

Upvote 0
Gotta remember a few things about the flamethrower...

In KF1, off perk it was trash for several reasons. First off, there was potential to hurt yourself with it...firebug had flame resistance. Second, ammo capacity and weight made it bad...firebug got an ammo boost. Third, the range was garbage...firebug perk got dramatically increased range with perk levels into the fire hose of death we remeber from the oversized butane torch we started with at level 0.

If they keep a similar progression model to last time...only the fire bug will be able to make the weapon shine.

Finally, I am very much in favor of remaking the classic fire bug into a new firebug/madscientist perk. There are rumors of cryo weapons that freeze zeds and make them shatter, and of electrical weapons that may have stunning effects and visuals similar to the emp grenades. I would love to see this class transition into a pseudo elemental damage perk/class that uses those weapons with perks bonuses that let you focus on different effects...like at level 5 choosing between better freezing effects or more/longer burn damage ect. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did prefer the liquid-based flamethrower over any kind of gaseous one. KF1 was one of the only games to go that route (I think one of the Turok games had one too, in one or two levels?)

Plus it doesn't LOOK like I'm doing damage. It looks like I'm gently blow-drying the zeds and not even TO DEATH; they fall over so un-scorched and with their body-parts in tact that I feel like I just made them cozy-warm and they all fell over to take naps. :(

Obviously, the flamethrower as it stands is still a work-in-progress, so we'll see how it evolves as early access continues.

Upvote 0

Been a long time since I played that Wolfenstein but Turok 2 has the best I can recall. Napalm style STREAM as apposed to rapid-fire bolts that most games use (KF 1 obviously). Only thing that would have made it better is higher velocity stream and burning residue from the napalm.

Upvote 0
Plus it doesn't LOOK like I'm doing damage. It looks like I'm gently blow-drying the zeds and not even TO DEATH; they fall over so un-scorched and with their body-parts in tact that I feel like I just made them cozy-warm and they all fell over to take naps. :(

Obviously, the flamethrower as it stands is still a work-in-progress, so we'll see how it evolves as early access continues.

as of right now the scorching seems so be by damage (like 100 dmg is burnt and 250 is like charred, numbers are probably higher) im hope they will change it to by max life (like if you do 25% of their max life they are burnt and 50~75% they are charred) so that it will be more satisfying to kill all the weak zeds (only way to make the weak zeds charred atm is to burn their dead bodies) although it wont do much to stronger zeds (which would make sense)

Upvote 0
I did prefer the liquid-based flamethrower over any kind of gaseous one. KF1 was one of the only games to go that route

See thing is, the current one does indeed look liquid based to me. The flame has a consistent central body which reacts quite a bit to your movement etc like a flamethrower would, the range is decent for it too (for starters, hopefully firebug increases the range).

It's just all those static flame clouds and general puffiness, the bright but matte colour scheme make it look like that too in my opinion.

Upvote 0
It doesn't seem based on the 'liquid-looking' flamethrower back in KF1 where it would fire like a hose.

The KF1 flamethrower fired individual projectiles (like small fire pellets), not a steady stream of fire. It only seemed continuous because the fire rate was so high that we could use it to lock areas down. If you ever try single-shotting it, though, you'll get a lot of shots that brush a zed but do not set it on fire because the pellet projectile doesn't make contact even though the surrounding flame animation does. That was really annoying in my opinion, and I hope they do better with the KF2 flamethrower (which I haven't tried yet).

Upvote 0