• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the Flamethrower..

Pretty much this, i feel like if it's just 3 different flame throwers i would be kinda stale. Even if you threw in the husk's arm as a tier 4 which has the fireball and flame option it would at least stand out from the pack a little bit.

There are plenty of not only real flame weapons but fun sci-fi ones which solved the age old question "how do i light those people on fire over there when im way to far away to get the job done?"

If so, it would have to be a best all-around flamethrower, and right now what I'm seeing, the flamethrower type in-game is overall silly.

Upvote 0
The flamethrower so far seems fairly cool, used it a few times as support on hard paired with either the DBshotty or the SG500. It seems to clear trash a lot more easily with the main stream but the afterburn damage seems quite bad (granted this is an offperk weapon for now).

As others mentioned, it feels somewhat weird to understand the effective range of the attack in first person but overall I'm loving the effect (although I agree that it looks prettier in 3rd person rather than 1st).

Do the enviromental flames actually deal damage/set zeds on fire? I don't recall the KF1 flamer having that (the flames on the ground stayed for a pitiful amount of time and were only cosmetic - unless one of the last patches changed it and I never noticed when playing xD) but it'd be cool if the new one instead.

Really looking forward to the firebug class and its weapons, anyways, it's looking promising!

Upvote 0
The flamethrower so far seems fairly cool, used it a few times as support on hard paired with either the DBshotty or the SG500. It seems to clear trash a lot more easily with the main stream but the afterburn damage seems quite bad (granted this is an offperk weapon for now).

As others mentioned, it feels somewhat weird to understand the effective range of the attack in first person but overall I'm loving the effect (although I agree that it looks prettier in 3rd person rather than 1st).

Do the enviromental flames actually deal damage/set zeds on fire? I don't recall the KF1 flamer having that (the flames on the ground stayed for a pitiful amount of time and were only cosmetic - unless one of the last patches changed it and I never noticed when playing xD) but it'd be cool if the new one instead.

Really looking forward to the firebug class and its weapons, anyways, it's looking promising!

The flames don't even form on the environment so I don't know what you mean, and yes it should stick around IF IT'S a liquid-based flamethrower with some napalm in it. This would make the Firebug a unique perk of a DoT/Area Denial perk. Makes the zeds hesitate and choose a different path or suffer from a painful death. Great for buying time when the bigguns (who have no facks to give) march on through the fire with empty stomachs.

Upvote 0
The flames don't even form on the environment so I don't know what you mean, and yes it should stick around IF IT'S a liquid-based flamethrower with some napalm in it. This would make the Firebug a unique perk of a DoT/Area Denial perk. Makes the zeds hesitate and choose a different path or suffer from a painful death. Great for buying time when the bigguns (who have no facks to give) march on through the fire with empty stomachs.

It could be that I confused it with the carpet of bodies being in flames. :p

Upvote 0
The flamethrower in KF1 is the most cancerous weapon in the game. Its even worse than the xbow.
It's a long range firehose with too much ammo that allows players without any skill and effort to rack up the most kills easily. Therefore it's the preferred weapon of people that usually don't get past wave 7 on HoE. And this causes problems for the whole team.

I like it that the flamethrower in KF2 has such a short range. There is hardly anything more annoying then a firebad in KF1 that shoots through other players and blinding them.

Upvote 0
The flamethrower in KF1 is the most cancerous weapon in the game. Its even worse than the xbow.
It's a long range firehose with too much ammo that allows players without any skill and effort to rack up the most kills easily. Therefore it's the preferred weapon of people that usually don't get past wave 7 on HoE. And this causes problems for the whole team.

I like it that the flamethrower in KF2 has such a short range. There is hardly anything more annoying then a firebad in KF1 that shoots through other players and blinding them.

I wouldn't put it that far. The Flamethrower in the hands of a good Firebug meant he/she became the ultimate trash cleaner while at the same time, didn't "HURRHURR FIRESPAM" the entire region, thus you had beautiful vision on the Husk, Scrake, and Fleshpound without Gorefasts running up to you and turning you into a cute handpuppet. It's just like any commando honestly, just one has to get a bit closer than the other.

Now...in the hands of a FIREBAD, however...

Upvote 0
I wouldn't put it that far. The Flamethrower in the hands of a good Firebug meant he/she became the ultimate trash cleaner while at the same time, didn't "HURRHURR FIRESPAM" the entire region, thus you had beautiful vision on the Husk, Scrake, and Fleshpound without Gorefasts running up to you and turning you into a cute handpuppet. It's just like any commando honestly, just one has to get a bit closer than the other.

Now...in the hands of a FIREBAD, however...
This topic was beat to death. Just look into the KF1 section of the forums and you will find plenty discussions about that.

I suppose TWI already drew their conclusions about how to make the flamer less likely of a menace. I think lowering the range of that firehose and making it less visibility obscuring and endangering grenade users is a good idea.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit disappointed with the flamethrower's aesthetics. I hope Tripwire adjusts it, because the flame projectile looks weak and leaves a lot to be desired. I'd love for them to make it look like Rising Storm's projectile, as someone else suggested. That flamethrower was awesome.

Upvote 0
The upside to the current, airy flames is that while they cover a lot more space, they're also a lot less opaque.. the residual flames stay pretty low to the ground, and the zed bodies really stand out amidst those flames even while on fire.

Plus, if the area was dark, you're actually INCREASING visibility..

So vision-challenged players really can't blame a flamethrower user for their inability to hit targets, anymore. ;)

Upvote 0
So I've played a few more games with the flamer and found out that the fire DOES actually stick to the ground and also deal damage as enemies pass through them. Their decay time is pretty fast (1 to 2 seconds at best) but they also seem to deal a decent amount of damage (tried it with a friend on a server with 40% FF and he took a considerable amount of damage). It also seems that spraying flames on the snow in outpost doesn't actually leave fire patches but instead "melts" the snow (well it doesn't actually melt snow but it leaves clouds of vapour instead).

Wish I took some screenshots but I've got nothing for now. :(

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that current FF uses placeholders for its sfx (sharing same fire/flame model with Husk). Also there's damage type named GroundFire which supposed to be used by it. Full mechanic seems to be not implemented yet.

This totally, And to the post above, agreed Kothre!

I looked at the RO flamethrower again (because spending time looking at fire is time well spent) and simplecat has it down; Look at the RO flame, and back to KF2 flame. One looks fantastic, the other unfinished. But look at the clouds, how they move forward and roll out rather rapidly.

My guess (Hearing from someone with graphic design experience would be cool) is that it's currently emulating the RO one, and they are looking to have it behave and roll over everything in the same way.

EDIT: Kothre, you straight away mentioned smoke and I think that's a big part of it. I don't wish to become the bane of teamwork with flames that block everything and p**s everyone off, but black smoke is important I think. Darker richer colour scheme to represent the volatile chemicals you're burning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just had a really fun match on Hard difficulty, running Medic with the Med Shotgun and Flamethrower.

It worked out pretty well. Flamethrower carries a ton of ammo and even off-perk and on hard you can clear away the trash (and sirens) super effectively. That let me save my med-shotgun ammo for helping out with Scrakes and FPs or getting things out of my face in a hurry.

We only lost a single person to Hans, in fact. PyroMedic confirmed for legit playstyle *thumbs up*

Like using any off-perk weapon with medic, you just need the sense to predict when someone will need healing, before they're actually hurt, since it will take you a couple seconds to switch back to your medgun and fire out a dart. If you wait until they're already half-dead, it will probably be too late, and I don't think they'll be happy that they died 'cause the medic was busy reloading a flamethrower. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0