• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

I have never been 180'd, I've never 180'd someone else, I've never seen someone else 180. This would imply that they knew you were there in the first place, and my first instinct would be some sort of hack.

COME ON man!! I've read like an entire book worth of your posts and you are an Ro Vet... But you cannot deny the SMG 180 in Ro2!! I experience it at least once a game and never saw it in ost! It's totally ridiculous -- especially amongst the kenyan-sprinting-through-a-tiny-shack gameplay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're putting your own arbitrary definition on tactical shooter.

Most first person shooters require tactics of some sort and just because one game requires different tactics does not make it a non-tactical shooter.

Yes, they do. All games requires tactics. COD requires tactics. Far Cry require tactics. But it doesnt make them a tactical shooters. All these games are in the end about having a fast and twitchy trigger finger rather than thinking about your next move. Tactics aren't required in any sense. RO2 is not designed to be a real tactical shooter. It's designed to be accessible for the mainstream. You CAN play it tactical - you can do that with any game even COD - but it's not REQUIRED. The gameplay in RO2 is, in the end of the day, not about tactics, it's about choosing your way to play wh

Upvote 0
just give us the two things, fast paced call of duty arcade gaming for nader and friends, and old good roost ("make you feel like you are in war instead of war movie") style for all the others, so everybody from the kid to the old man is happy!
options should be our friends

Last edited:
Reactions: b0sco
Upvote 0
You're basically saying that you can out-run-and-gun the run-and-gunners. And then you complain that there are no tactics. There are no tactics because you aren't using tactics. Instead, you employ the same techniques you come here and complain about, and then declare that the game is tactically bankrupt.

Am I the only one seeing the duplicity here?

As someone allready pointed out in this thread, if you've made a tactical shooter where tactics are voulentary, just something you can choose to use if you personaly feel that gets you more kills or fewer deaths, then you have failed, you haven't made a tactical shooter at all.

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
I'm there. I have a few niggles here and there (lockdown can go f*ck itself with a cactus), but a lot of the stuff that people complain about hardly registers for me when I'm playing. If I get killed, I don't think fast ADS or lack of sway had anything to do with it (as an example that doesn't list the avalanche of gripes people have about the mechanics). I simply think, "I screwed up, how can I keep from screwing up next time?"

Skill in RO2 is all about avoiding firefights you don't know you can win (in other words, twitch-based firefights.)

More often than not, if I shoot my gun it's because I've already won the fight on a tactical level, and it's a simple matter of not missing my shots. It doesn't matter if they're running full tilt with an MKB and stop dead, fast ads, and try to turn around 180 to get a shot at me, because they're staring at a respawn screen before they get the chance, and if they -do- get the chance, they can't see where I've hidden myself.

Basically, these things are meaningless if you play properly, and they'll allow you to decimate people who aren't playing properly.

Its not about not being able to kill, I hardly play RO2 but i can still easily get in the top 3 of the scoreboard. The main thing is not that we suddenly cannot make kills or get in the top, and want changes made so we can get good.

Its because the overall gameplay lost its edge for me. RO long range has often been about long range fire fights for me, now there are no fire fights any more just people dropping dead. Gameplay feels like RO1 sniper only maps, and I never liked that game play. Call me stupid for all you want, but I want more of a fight against my targets when I'm killing people at long range, rather than people just dropping down.

And in close combat if you run in somewhere you can most of the time easily kill a dug in defender that is setup covering the entrance as you can pretty much instantly fire out of a sprint. You can survive only with the ability to aim and shoot quickly, which means indoors you don't really have to take any caution as long as your reflexes are quick enough.

If stopping to sprint takes a little bit of time (zoom button should still be instant though), and going into iron sights takes a little bit of time, that will cause enough of an delay to require people to stop and go into iron sights before entering a room to be successful, as otherwise even a weak player will be able to take you down.

And for long range fighting if weapons have by default a sort of sway (what you often see with sniper scopes in other games), then people can still get very good but it takes a bit longer to be able to hit someone, and one is more likely to miss. Allowing the accepting end to notice the shot and perhaps set up to return fire allows for more firefights to happen. And personally I think its important that people can always zoom, perhaps even when walking and sprinting (your eyes don't suddenly see things smaller either when sprinting you just have head bob which makes it more difficult to focus, and since head bob is featured in the game that isn't necessary). This would make attackers a bit less weary and more likely to actually attack some objective rather than stay back. Attackers naturally have a very big disadvantage over Defenders, and this shouldn't change, however I feel that currently in HOS in regards to long range combat the disadvantage for Attackers is even bigger than in reality. Together with that there is no squad leader or commander that can force you to move to the objective, resulting in that people just take easiest route to success which is to not attack objectives and just take potshots.

These are pretty small changes, but forcing people to stop and go into iron sight before entering a room in cqc if they wish to win against a dug in defender, and for long range combat making the chance bigger for the persons being shot to see their possible killers while they are still alive. Would make the game play a lot more enjoyable for me.

Next to that for a lot of people another game mode would be nice, next to relaxed and realistic realism having something like historical realism. Where simply weapons and class loadouts are selected to be the average of what happened in ww2. There are more G41's mp40-II's and MKB's in servers than there are K98's and MP40's and while I'm not a person that really is that much into historical accuracy, that actually manages to take me out of the immersion.

Certainly the demo recording system could have waited in favour of those things.

Any changes that try to change the overall game play while perhaps not requiring a lot of time to implement, will require a serious amount of time to play test and make sure that some other parts of gameplay didn't get worse. Beside that TWI thinks that our opinions on game play are completely different from person to person, and thinks that 99,99% of the people that bought RO2 like the game play as it is and that only the 0.01% from these forums got issues.

Without demo recording and PB screenshot grabbing any serious competitive clan play can not start at all. League Admins would be completely dependant on trust without any way to investigate cheating accusations. Even if every player plays fair, if there is a cheating accusation it should be possible to verify whether someone is clean or not. As other wise people just start suspecting any good team or player is a cheater which will bring down all faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fact is the current players base in game and the current gameplay state of the game are not for me.

Some populars "realism"(joke for tripwire) servers like FK,TWB and 2.Fgj are infected with this plague,some weeks ago the gameplay and players in these servers were regular,now is,excuse me,sh**** ,all this motivated by the arcades things in this game.Don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is exactly right! Once you have played on a server with a good commander and squad leader using VOIP, you begin to see what the game really has to offer...Im excited about the coming DLC!

That is exactly right. I really enjoy playing on the clan servers. The team I play on always wins. :p

I think I know what clan I'm going to join.

Upvote 0
On pub servers don't expect people to be 'Sealteam 6.' I think some of them will get better in time. Strangely, some people don't even use mic and headphones. They'll see the benifit soon, I hope.

Hmm, reading your posts I get the urge to play a certain board game again. Should be lying around here somewhere.

And to add some on topic:
I think it's a bit sad that you're rarely asked to mark arty.

Upvote 0
Certain individuals will never be convinced that RO2 is anything more than a flaming dog turd jammed down the barrel of a vintage K98 and used to stab their grandmother to death before being melted down and used to make dog tags for the Call of Duty 3 collectors edition or something.

^^ This is the most profound truth I've read on these forums for a long while. And sadly the people that it refers to will never see it.

One of the most interesting/challenging thoughts for me to wrap my mind about is the idea that so many of the vets that so deride this game speak more about DH being so darn awesome. And the fact that THAT is a mod/extension on top of RO1 is an irony that has not escaped me. And yet, at the very same time, there is NO patience to wait for the mod tools to do the very same thing here. I don't quite get that.

Upvote 0
Hmm, reading your posts I get the urge to play a certain board game again. Should be lying around here somewhere.

And to add some on topic:
I think it's a bit sad that you're rarely asked to mark arty.

I played alot of SL and ASL. Even went to a tounament in South Dakota once and did well. I still love those games but they require so much time and very difficult to find anyone that can comprehend the rules.

On Topic: After the PL calls in recon, I always spot arty if I can. Recon and arty combo is very lethal because you can always squash the highest concentration of enemies. ;)

Upvote 0
One of the most interesting/challenging thoughts for me to wrap my mind about is the idea that so many of the vets that so deride this game speak more about DH being so darn awesome. And the fact that THAT is a mod/extension on top of RO1 is an irony that has not escaped me. And yet, at the very same time, there is NO patience to wait for the mod tools to do the very same thing here. I don't quite get that.

The possibility of there being a DH-style mod for RO2 is supposed to get in the way of people voicing their dissatisfaction with vanilla RO2? How is this "challenging"? One could very well deride ROOST and play DH, too (and indeed, many DH players are not fond of ROOST).

---

Upvote 0
The possibility of there being a DH-style mod for RO2 is supposed to get in the way of people voicing their dissatisfaction with vanilla RO2? How is this "challenging"? One could very well deride ROOST and play DH, too (and indeed, many DH players are not fond of ROOST).

---

Mods have become a very heavy port of the RO1 Community but RO1 in its core gameplay is not that different from the gameplay like DH and other mods. A lot of people expect RO2 to have good mods but If a game is released and it needs mods to be enjoyable for a lot of players somethign with the game is wrong.

Upvote 0
This is exactly right! Once you have played on a server with a good commander and squad leader using VOIP, you begin to see what the game really has to offer...Im excited about the coming DLC!

No doubt about that. The same thing applies to battlefield or even COD. Any game can be played tactially but that doesnt neccesary mean that the game in overall encourage the players to play tactically. RO2 is not like the games mentioned above but it's really not a full-blown tactical shooter either. It's up to the players like in any other generig FPS game. RO2 does not (unfortunately) punish players for not playing the game like it is intended to be played the the first place. The fact that you're not punished for sprinting up and down from stairs and quickaiming (which shouldnt even be possible imo) is because the game is supposed to be fun for ALL KINDS of audiences even people that prefer rambo-type of gameplay. That's the purpose with making a game more accessible.

In RO OST it was the opposite. You were either playing the game like it was supposed to be played (e.i a more tactical and realistic way than in RO2) or the game would slap you hard in the face if you tried to play it any other way than it was intended to be played. In my opinion this is one of the most important parts in any tactical shooter: That the game requires you to pay attention and build your success upon strategy, teamwork, and tactical thinking, rather then giving you the choice of doing that or simply being dependent on a happy triggerfinger, quickaiming, twitchy movements and a lockdowntimer, or even things that doesn't belong in a tactical shooter at all: Skillpoints and perks.

Like I've said before: There is absolutely nothing WRONG to like the direction RO2 has headed. But coming up with all kinds of reasons to WHY the game is a tactical shooter, or WHY it is more realistic than RO ost, or WHY it isn't played very tactical is pointless. We all know by know that Red Orchestra have moved into the direction where the other mainstream shooters belong, and we all know tactics aren't required in the game. It's an option. That's why I can't take it seriously as a tactical shooter no matter if i think the game is good or bad. TWI have said themself that they want to make it more accessible which means dumbed down. It is what it is. No point to try to make it be something it simply isn't (at least not until it's been modified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not saying the game itself is arcadey, but a lot of its features are.

-The game doesn't take into account the weight of each weapon, so every weapon, from a pistol to and AT rifle can be moved around your screen at the same speed. For heavier weapons there should be a delay similar to the tank cannon delay as they are not easy to handle.

-Sway is fine, we could have a little bit more though. What is not fine is that sway doesn't suffer any significant impact from stamina, suppression and wounds. You can also exploit the stabilization feature and have zero sway for as long as you want by holding and releasing shift periodically.

-Reloading/bolting speeds suffer too much effect from weapon progress, letting you reload your belt-fed MG-34 in 4 seconds. Switching weapons is also too fast

-ADS speed would be fine if you are standing still, but when you are sprinting, jogging or prone it takes a lot more time to shoulder your weapon IRL

-The main problem with player movement is lack of inertia. You can turn 180

Upvote 0

---

The challenging part for me is the SEEMINGLY inability to show any type of patience for the modding community to do with RO2 what the modding community did for RO1. That is the part I'm talking about Black. I understand the dissatisfaction --- but most posts show zero tolerance for having to WAIT. That is the part I don't understand...

Upvote 0
Still not learning. Still half auto, half bolty cannon fodder for the auto wielders. Either satisfy your base (bolt action based) or the COD MW crowd (auto). A game can't be BOTH an automatic arcade shooter and a realistic early WWII simulation, because you aren't making EITHER happy.

You can't use "marketing" by EA as a crutch; the people who left for BF3 would have returned by now if they thought RO2 was better. Many of us stopped playing simply because the game was not the realistic WWII game promised, and has huge performance issues. Don't fix those, I'm not coming back. I don't care WHO spends HOW much on "marketing." That's nothing but a convenient excuse for a bad game failing, IMO.

I'm also tired of cop out regarding GAME BREAKING bugs like the close range hit detection bug. If you would solve THAT issue, I'd leave BF3 and it's legions of aimbotters and return to RO2, even though it is hideously unrealistic, because at least it doesn't have flying alien robots and magic, laser-guided mortors. But, who wants to play a game in which you get REPEATEDLY killed by players you've just pumped half a clip of lead into???

Do you seriously believe anyone wants to hear that you can't fix it if you can't duplicate it on command? I have no clue what game you're playing, because it's done that for many of us since day one of the DDE beta. I'm sorry to be blunt, but for such a common issue to be such a mystery, something is wrong with either your code or your technical personnel. It certainly isn't my computer, which has no problem running BF3 at high settings with PERFECT performance.

Stop making excuses and fix the issues. You may have "learned" a lot, but apparently you STILL haven't learned not to piss off your base because you figure they won't go anywhere because there's no alternative. Sure there is. It's called "strategy" games. I'll play Civilzation or Total War or whatever before a "Stalingrad" fps with lmg Rambos, smg Rambos,, etc. and that doesn't "hit" a target you've clearly blown a massive hole into from 10 feet away.

Sorry if I sound like a Richard Cranium, but facts are facts, and TWI certainly had no qualms about breaking promises to us and then treating us like crap by either ignoring us or talking down to us (as the specific cases may be) when we dared complain about being deceived.

My $.02.

Upvote 0