• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics AA-12 with Pump Action or Hunting?

Well... I'm pretty used to the slots now, so I don't mind.. But why you need to carry handcannon? I mean.. you still have 9mm and knife.. :p And you can carry either katana or mp7. Of course handcannon is cheaper and has more survivability, but well... If you just conserve your ammo a bit, you don't need handcannon.
Mhm, true... But if you are cornered you can use AA12 aswell. :)

Ha, yeah.. Cheap weapons ftw. Lately, I've started to use AK + bullpup instead of AK + scar. Dirt cheap!

Yeah, I can give my teammates money that way. Also, the AA12 has one, longer uninterruptible reload. I do use 9mm, but hc is better on later waves to conserve shells. I use the machete usually, because knife takes too long to kill stuff now. I can't take 3 seconds to stab a crawler to death when I need to be clearing a hall. I am good about conserving ammo, but on higher HoE waves, you can burn through a supply of shells pretty fast. And it is much easier to dump a drum of AA12 ammo vs a pump, so I usually run out of AA12 much faster.

I also don't care for the MP7 because I hate multiple weapons sharing one slot. For some reason, this doesn't bother me as much with commando, but with every other class, I prefer one weapon for one slot. The katana is ok, but I prefer machete for the cost, and I can give my team money.

I think it comes down to the per shell thing too. I use the pump slowly, and I usually aim for the head. In crowds, the penetration and longer range of the pump just seems much better for me. I can do the same with one shell as 2 or 3 with AA12. I think it comes down to preference and how well my team is doing, as to which I choose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I can give my teammates money that way. Also, the AA12 has one, longer uninterruptible reload. I do use 9mm, but hc is better on later waves to conserve shells. I use the machete usually, because knife takes too long to kill stuff now. I can't take 3 seconds to stab a crawler to death when I need to be clearing a hall. I am good about conserving ammo, but on higher HoE waves, you can burn through a supply of shells pretty fast. And it is much easier to dump a drum of AA12 ammo vs a pump, so I usually run out of AA12 much faster.

I also don't care for the MP7 because I hate multiple weapons sharing one slot. For some reason, this doesn't bother me as much with commando, but with every other class, I prefer one weapon for one slot. The katana is ok, but I prefer machete for the cost, and I can give my team money.

I think it comes down to the per shell thing too. I use the pump slowly, and I usually aim for the head. In crowds, the penetration and longer range of the pump just seems much better for me. I can do the same with one shell as 2 or 3 with AA12. I think it comes down to preference and how well my team is doing, as to which I choose.

Haha, true. AA12 really has a looong reload. But well.. You can always throw a nade right before reloading AA12. =) Good thing to share money with the team btw.!
I see your point, I'm just more addicted to katana as backup weapon or to kill clots or gorefasts. Yes, knife is really not worth using anymore. I even dislike it on wave 1 as zerker (when I spawn as another perk for the weapon) using alt fire on the knife. Before the update I didn't even use the chainsaw on wave 1, I certainly do now.. =p

Yeah, ammo goes away fairly quickly on HoE.. At least on wave 9 and 10. I wish I could carry like another HS, haha. But idk, I just find AA12 more reliable on higher diff. and on later waves. I don't mind checking pump + HS out..

Haha! Mhm, it is really a bit annoying when you have 3 different kinds of weapon on the same slot. E.g. hunting shotgun, AA12 and pipes... Or mp7.

Again, I will make sure on checking it out. I'll let you know what I think about it. =)

Upvote 0
For me it depends on how my teammates play and what perk they are.

For instance, in a duo situation, when my teammate is an xbow sharpie, i would use pumpaction+aa12, and act as the mando in this setup, moping up trash zeds. If my teammate were a commando, then i would use hunting shotgun only "supporting" him whenever he reloads and would be more ideal at later waves against higher tier zeds.

Other factors, like demos in the team and the map that we're playing in. For instance, in westlondon, i would use pumpaction+AA12 as pump action is more accurate over long ranges and is much more economical per shell, which in turn i can donate to the demo to lay more pipes. whilst AA12 is brought out only in "OH CRAP" situations or at late waves when the big zeds come out to play.

Over prefference, i usually play with pumpaction + HS and purchase AA12 only for patty round. Its sufficient even on HoE. As for ammo, i don't see any problem, unless you're kill whoring or shooting a shell PER clot or crawler, its highly unlikley even on HoE.

Upvote 0
Heh, yeah. The tighter cone of the AA12 means I can start engaging specimens further out. With Scrakes, I'll use AA12 until it charges, then unload the double barrel to knock it down. That's pretty reliable. I try the same thing with Fleshpounds but it's not as reliable. A few well-timed grenades help though.

This is also what i do except i shoot it with normal shotgun until it rages then use hunty to kill it.

Upvote 0
I like normal Pump action because its cheap and it has the flashlight.
I prefer it more then the aa-12 becuase if i do die. I dont have to beg my team for money when they probobly dont have any either. But if i die with Pump + Hunting i can easily buy it back by just going back to where i died and picking up hunting shotgun.
Whenever i die with aa-12 it always seems to disappear and i cant get it back while none of my team mates took it.

I usually only use aa-12 vs Patriarc.

Upvote 0
I prefer to roll with the AA12 + Pump + Dual HCs + Machete + 11 Grenades + 9mm. By the time I have to reload, I've already killed everything that moves.

I actually like Pump + Hunty and at lvl 6 Pump + Hunty + Single Hand Cannon for Medium - Long range

I keep meaning to try a Handcannon loadout but i) I just love the feel of the AA12 and ii) the Hunting Shotgun is an awesome panic/clearing weapon so when I play Support I have a hard time not using them together. I don't play much HoE (still building up a decent group of friends who can reliably clear Suicidal) but I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up going to a pump/HS/HC loadout due to cash scarcity.

Upvote 0
I keep meaning to try a Handcannon loadout but i) I just love the feel of the AA12 and ii) the Hunting Shotgun is an awesome panic/clearing weapon so when I play Support I have a hard time not using them together. I don't play much HoE (still building up a decent group of friends who can reliably clear Suicidal) but I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up going to a pump/HS/HC loadout due to cash scarcity.

Money is scarce on suicidal and HoE so i would use the hunty + pump + hand cannon until you maybe can save up and sell hunty for the aa-12

Upvote 0
When I am drunk, I like to use the hunting shotgun one barrel at a time, as a main weapon. I keep the pump for a backup. I do this the whole game, on HoE or suicidal, I have no issues with resupply, armor, or giving teammates money. The HS is much more viable now as a main weapon with the pellet fix, I call it the "flappy shotgun" because of the way he flips it open.

Upvote 0
I love AA12+Hunting Shotgun, because F*** yeah! :D
Plus, I just love knowing that if something is still alive (or maybe just twitching a bit...) when I empty the drum of my AA-12, it's gonna get 2 barrels point-blank to the face!
There's also the fact that the only shotgun that could possibly compete with the style of a double-barrel is a lever-action. Scientifically proven. Seriously. :p

On a somewhat unrelated note, I would freaking love to see a double-barreled shotgun with a magazine for each barrel. Don't care how impractical or heavy that would be, the pure awesome factor would more than make up for it :cool: IRL btw, not in KF.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0