• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A word about the preview from a kf veteran

Domi_y0

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2016
Tum sum it all up I am quite satisfied with what tripwire has accomplished. The new incap system is great and the new weakness system makes things actually feel a lot more in place and challenging, in fact more realistic and team based. They've given us a whole lot of new implementations and improvements, hell, it even feels like a whole new game and I love it.

Yes I know what all of you're saying, bullet spongy zeds, taking up to 40+ 9mm shots to pop a husks head, some weapons being useless now, bla bla...

I myself was sceptical about the new preview. But after playing like 5-10 rounds I have to say I think it's fantastic. Once you're getting used to it it's not that big of a deal anymore. In fact, let me tell you something:

You're not supposed to be able to take out a fleshpound or scrake on your own with a firebug (that was never their intention and it doesn't feel natural in a game like killing floor), since that's what a lot of people are complaining about. "firebug too weak now bla bla"
It was never the firebugs strength to take out big zeds on their own, neither it should be.
Their main goal is still trash control and/or panic several zeds for other players to get the opportunity to inflict more and more damage on those zeds. And about the husks head being too 'strong' now, taking up to 40 9mm shots to pop the husks head on higher difficulties with 6 man playing: That is ****ing fine. TWI stated in their changelog that they didn't like everyone taking out husks by simply headshooting them since the husk is supposed to be a bigger threat. And yes, they've compensated for this: They've made the husks backpack be an extreme weakpoint. Hell you take like maybe 5 9mm shots to detonate the husks backpack on a 6p hoe game (That's what TWI wants you to do btw, shoot its backpack). It all comes in place very well and fits nicely. I really have to say good job tripwire on this.

And no, I'm not saying the way everything functions now is absolutely perfect, of course there are some tweaks to be made. But that's why it is a preview. You can opt out of it anytime you wish and stop whining. Tweaks will be made, rest assured my fellow fighters.

Play in a team and try to understand/accept the point TWI is making with this weakness and incap system. Teamplay is the answer. If you don't want to be a little weakass firebug who can't clear scrakes and fp's on their own, then don't be one. Change your perk to something more powerful and less weakzed-crowd-control.

I absolutely love it until now, thanks a lot for this great update TWI.

Last edited:
THANK you, someone gets it. People who said those things either never played KF1 or just somehow forgot what KF1 is like, or are hypocritical.

?

did you ever try supp with katana/mk23/double barrel/spawn shotty?
or the totally op ss?
or the totally op zerker?

KF1 was not at all a teamgame like KF2.have 2 friends hold a 2 way spot and you will literary never loose if you know the game.

how do you compare this to KF2 especially with this new update that is supposed to make players play more team oriented is beyond me :D

granted i havent played that much yet to comment on the resistance addition but as it is now you cant compare the 2 based on gameplay at all

Upvote 0
?

did you ever try supp with katana/mk23/double barrel/spawn shotty?
or the totally op ss?
or the totally op zerker?

KF1 was not at all a teamgame like KF2.have 2 friends hold a 2 way spot and you will literary never loose if you know the game.

how do you compare this to KF2 especially with this new update that is supposed to make players play more team oriented is beyond me :D

granted i havent played that much yet to comment on the resistance addition but as it is now you cant compare the 2 based on gameplay at all

You can also hold a two way spot in kf1. Hospital horror lobby, Ice cave spawn, bio hazard couch room, foundry generator room to name a few.

Is kf2 berserker not considered one of the most overpowered/Broken perks? is the kf2 sharpshooter with a lock on weapon somehow more difficult than m14 sharp in kf1?

Teamwork is much less required in kf 2 currently than kf1.

Upvote 0
yeah i know all the maps that the vets play ;)
anyhow..i cant comment on if KF2 is more teamplay oriented or less since beta preview. from what i gather though it deffo does.more so then before because of the xbow stun nerf.

i can hold almost any known spot in KF1 that people play till wave 10 on my own with perhaps a demomedic as back up if too many fp's spawn on my side.

since the lack of more than a few combos,the speed of zeds and now resistance its almost impossible to hold "your spot" on your own with a mando backing you up.it still gets very hairy fast.

Upvote 0
Funnily enough I personally call this the KF1 update as it feels more like KF1 with the resistances and stuff; they are too solid and high in my opinion but I do agree it's in the right direction.

Firebug though, have you even played it? It can't take out the big'uns, this is fair. This is not what made it weak.

What made it weak is it now has problems killing trash. Technically with the weakness to fire and the panic they are actually manageable if you torch them and let them die on their own, that works a bit better now. Thing is, in multiplayer you cannot wait for them to die like this. Others can kill them but lately it's all sharpies and they cannot get their headshots when you are making everything do the burny dance.

So you're a firebug, killing the trash for the sharpies. Have you seen how often you, as primary trash clearer, have to spray on them to kill them directly just to avoid your sharpies getting eaten? It has to be done in these ranges. In that regard, you use up all your fuel halfway in just preventing people getting eaten.

This would even be fine if the fire actually made zeds just stop attacking and panic, burning to death. If it worked, sharpies I bathed in fire when surrounded would not be dead, the zeds would be panicked and they would have gotten away. As it turns out, 40 flamethrower fuel to kill a couple gorefasts and a bunch of clots only to have them kill that teammate anyway? That's a problem!

Upvote 0
Well I'd agree because I am totally biased for that perk to be pampered, haha!

But logically the incap system is a big change and loading tips/wwaut statements have a completely different idea for FB, alongside FB being incredibly incap-heavy. I love the idea of utilising panic but currently killpower has dropped as a result - And I think that's partly due to having a complete change of role alongside a damage-focused/irrelevant skill tree.

Firebug could possibly be strong again but fuel-to-kill ratio needs to be similar to what it was before. Takes a lot more fuel to kill stuff directly now.

Funnily I've noticed that perks with changes correlating with the update (sharpie's arrival, demo, zerk and mando) actually have a bit of an easier time as they are more in-line with the system and purpose-built. The rest, particularly firebug in my eyes because of the focus on incap, are dead in the water until they are "retrofitted" to work alongside the new systems.

Upvote 0
The main issue with the resistance re: preview is this:

They are so finely carved up, yet the squad spawns are - from what I can tell - effectively the same. So when you play difficulties like HoE you have this chaotic mess of zeds coming at you, and the game has arbitrarily decided to subject the player to making a series of decisions in a split-second about which zed you're supposed to be killing because it's "the one you're best at". If you choose to disregard those resistances - depending on which perk you are - you're either untroubled or dead.

Upvote 0
Spawns are the same? Huh, I'd assumed they'd changed. I've seen zeds run off more to hide/physically move around the map instead of disappear, and one time I had to wait for a gorefast to run off only to respawn at one of the edge-of-map respawns (saw him coming a long way away) to end a wave. Same on Hans fight, I noticed some trash actively running away from everyone, I assumed to reposition themselves.

Just sharing what I've noticed!

Also I'd agree with your main issue being valid, I would also say though that in my opinion the problem is that you have to make these decisions on the trash level. These are enemies whose strength is in numbers and you have to calculate each one quickly, as you say. I believe the problem could be reduced significantly if the trash had no (or in my preference honestly) much more subtle resistances, with only a small loss in efficiency like your time being better spent aiming elsewhere or using *some* extra ammo to deal with it. Not all your ammo! Some!

Upvote 0
Every class, with more or less difficulty, needs to be able to take down any enemy on their own, after all, this game has solo mode, and if it turns out that solo is impossible to win for some perks, then TWI screwed it up...

What you just said goes to show that you have absolutely no clue about how the game works. In fact, not every class should be able to solo 6 man HOE with their PERK WEAPONS.
You can still use off-perk weapons which have different weaknesses and strengths.

Upvote 0
What you just said goes to show that you have absolutely no clue about how the game works. In fact, not every class should be able to solo 6 man HOE with their PERK WEAPONS.
You can still use off-perk weapons which have different weaknesses and strengths.

Yeah well, I explicitly said SOLO, so your response goes to show that you have absolutely no clue about how reading comprehension goes :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
To be fair to Domi, Solo is a secondary balance. Multiplayer takes priority, that's not my opinion that's just how it is. I am a solo player and I'm feeling it, just came off a solo sui match on final wave, died but got that far as Demo while flicking between the 2 trees to test the RPG some more.

I'd like to see solo become more doable again as much as you, but the way things go, solo will take a backseat to multiplayer in this game always. That's fair, and I say this as a solo player.

That's not blind acceptance however, someone let me know when solo is doable again!

Upvote 0