• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What else can we do?

anthracy

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
After most of the versions of doom2 have been removed from the whitelist it seems that a new contender has stepped into the "level king's" shoes.

KillingFloor%202010-03-04%2004-43-00-82.png

Also notice that doom2 is for the most part no longer played. (For those of you who said,"but it's nostalgic that's why it's so popular")

What troubles me the most is the 24/7 defence servers, or the hard bloated one with "levelup" in the name :rolleyes:

So, is there anything we can do about this one? Since it doesn't really have any "expoits" (besides the giant weldable doors, long race track, crazy amount of ammo spawns, a second inner most castle that can be welded shut, one trader to promote crazy pipebomb spamming and weapon hording, and nice narrow and even upper deck for sharpshooters ), we can't rightfully tell the author to "fix" it.

I'd like to hear from people to see what they think.(Community and Tripwire alike)

Edit: Considering the ultimate "there will always be an exploitable map" response. How about removing the spec only mutators(bloated and poundamonium in particular)

Last edited:
So all of these noob players that leveled there m14 spamming sharpie in defence dont come and ruin other peoples REAL games with there terrible teamwork and skills.

i joined a server earlier, defence, had an m14 spammer with over 500 kills already, i asked him for some money and he told me to **** off.

i greifed him and finally got him killed by a fleshpound that he was trying to back pedal from, by standing behind him :p

Upvote 0
Well, why does it matter?

It must matter, Tripwire didn't code in a whitelist for nothing. It takes time, money, and the will to actually stop crazy leveling like this from happening.(Money that Tripwire spends through writing the code for the whitelist, testing maps, and listening to the community.)

So please, don't play off the "eh it doesn't effect me why should it effect you" card.

It effects everyone.(Affects? Who knows...)

Upvote 0
So all of these noob players that leveled there m14 spamming sharpie in defence dont come and ruin other peoples REAL games with there terrible teamwork and skills.

i joined a server earlier, defence, had an m14 spammer with over 500 kills already, i asked him for some money and he told me to **** off.

i greifed him and finally got him killed by a fleshpound that he was trying to back pedal from, by standing behind him :p

I....LIKE....YOU....(not in a gay way)
:D

Upvote 0

But what's the difference between levelling on this map and levelling on an offical map, like KF-WestLondon? It doesn't matter how many maps you take off the whitelist, people will always find easy ways to level. It's amazingly easy to level the majority of perks on the standard maps anyway.

I agree that it's annoying when high level low-skill players join the game, but unless you make the levelling require some skill you'll always see this.

Upvote 0
I guess the issue I have is the bloat-ed mutator on any difficulty and the fleshpound only mutator (poundamonium) on easy.

Notice that both of those mutators(when combined with maps like defence) are basically exploits.

Easy fix: remove specimen only mutators from the whitelist please...

Reasons:

Bloats have crazy damage, are slow and easy to headshot, and medic + zerk have immunity. Bloats are basically moving packets of pure leveling for any perk.

Pounds on easy move slower, do almost no damage to you, but still have enough health on 6 man servers to make leveling easy.

Seems that we can't stop the maps from providing easy leveling, but we can blacklist those mutators :)

Upvote 0
But what's the difference between levelling on this map and levelling on an offical map, like KF-WestLondon? It doesn't matter how many maps you take off the whitelist, people will always find easy ways to level. It's amazingly easy to level the majority of perks on the standard maps anyway.

On Defense everyone are basically indestructible, while in the core maps you are always in danger (unless using glitches, which will hopefully be fixed eventually)

Anyway I agree with antracy its bull**** that people would play these stupid maps for the fun of it. They play it because they are easy to level up upon and arent challenging in any way. I mean seriously, the map is bad graphically and the entire idea and layout is just horrible. Its basically a square with 2 stairs and a tower in one corner. The brightness settings hurt eyes too and make the whole map look yellow. No way anyone could actually "like" the map for the design or how "fun" it is to play. Its just plain boring all the way.

Remove the map from whitelist and we'll see how many servers are still running it after a week. Not to mention how many players would be still playing on it.

Upvote 0
I guess the issue I have is the bloat-ed mutator on any difficulty and the fleshpound only mutator (poundamonium) on easy.

Notice that both of those mutators(when combined with maps like defence) are basically exploits.

Easy fix: remove specimen only mutators from the whitelist please...

Reasons:

Bloats have crazy damage, are slow and easy to headshot, and medic + zerk have immunity. Bloats are basically moving packets of pure leveling for any perk.

Pounds on easy move slower, do almost no damage to you, but still have enough health on 6 man servers to make leveling easy.

Seems that we can't stop the maps from providing easy leveling, but we can blacklist those mutators :)

I have to say your right here, and it's not just maps like defence - on FP only theres plenty of hidey-holes and ledges they can't get to on official/3rd party added maps.
When i'm close to a level up I normally go FP only to finish the job for damage related perks.
So phaps these mutators could be taken off the whitelist in, say, a couple of months time, yeah?

Upvote 0

I agree, although I think they are just as easy to use on some official maps (for example with bloat-ed you can just keep running around KF-WestLondon, and you can level damage that way very easily). In all, I agree that the specimen-only mutators should be de-whitelisted. It seems to be the bigger enabler of this problem here.

Anyway I agree with antracy its bull**** that people would play these stupid maps for the fun of it

I play it sometimes, I enjoy it on hard or suicidal (using the non-op weapons :)). Many 6+ player servers run this map, I wonder why?

Upvote 0
greifed him and finally got him killed by a fleshpound that he was trying to back pedal from, by standing behind him :p

Then you're as bad as the guy on the server i'm afraid. Just hop onto another server in future. Makes you the better man by not giving into people's lameness by fueling the fire and giving the KF community an even worse rep.

But of course this is only opinion.

Upvote 0
Then you're as bad as the guy on the server i'm afraid. Just hop onto another server in future. Makes you the better man by not giving into people's lameness by fueling the fire and giving the KF community an even worse rep.

But of course this is only opinion.
Well it's pretty much my opinion aswell. Would say that it works pretty much as the "don't feed the trolls"-rule.

On topic: I can't see any good come out of removing defence from the whitelist, well yes I can't bare to play that map one more time but to be completely honest, the map isn't the problem. There is no obvious glitch/camp or similar (not that I know of at least). As said earlier I think the "only one speciment" mutators is the problem. If anything should be removed from the whitelist I hope it's them.

Upvote 0