• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is demo class annoying?

The Demo is relatively balanced, I think, because it is total crap at close range. You practically need someone else to cover your butt when zeds get close.

I do think pipebombs need to be nerfed in that you can only have as many down as you can carry. Pretty much like the Sticky bombs in TF2. If I place a 9th pipebomb as a Level 6 Demo, then the very first one I placed down should self-destruct. Also, when a Demo leaves the game, all of his pipebombs should disappear.

Right now as it stands pipebombs are way overpowered in that you can pretty much place them down infinitely.

Upvote 0
I can easily take out a fleshpound with two grenades from the M79. Easily.
And I'm sure the community of KF is patting your back for soloing a Fleshpound, old man.

All classes work great, it has and will ALWAYS be who is playing that perk. You can have a guy with an AA12 who uses fully-automatic on clots wasting two-three shells instead of semi-automatic or a firebug who holds down his W+M1 who think it's TF2 when they should just tap it once unless something is about to hit the fan. Otherwise, lord forbid you do not hold down that mouse button for your team to pummel the Scrake/Fleshpound raid.

And for the record, I think players who go berserker can be annoying as hell on FF server who butt in on the front line of fire and cry a river for killing him.

Edit: Just read Ihmi's post and I completely agree about the Pipe Bomb situation. Sorry if this may spoil some people, but when I finish a Hard game and I hear, "Okay guys, sell all your crap and lay down Pipe Bombs outside the trader," ONE MORE TIME... The indescribable anger I feel because that CLEARLY is what TWI had in mind for Patriarch fight.

Hell, if anyone here does any drawing, I would LOVE to see someone draw 5-6 panels of Patriarch acting like the badarse he is only to get blown by 904684209683509 pipe bombs that he has been led onto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given the state of balance, everything bar Pipe Bomb stacks to demolish Fleshpounds, the Demo is nothing more than an irritating perk to have around. Unfortunately its 1 everyone feels the need to play and level (myself included). Its great fun launching a grenade at that mob of 4 Gorefasts... slightly less great when you realise it did **** all damage and they carried on walking after flinching.

Its pretty lackluster really and achieves nothing but creating a smoke cloud and knocking specimens out the way.

Upvote 0
I politely disagree Evilsod, I believe Demo Perk achieves more than Firebug and Berserker put together.

Firebug used to be one of the best sweepers when it was time for Scrakes and Fleshpounds to raid your barricade, but they had the job to burn all the minor ZEDs to Hell while the team focus fire on hating machines. Berserker was known to sit on the frontline (on non-FF servers) with a chainsaw/katana out just mutilating all the scrubs that try to bypass.

Unfortunately, as much as it pains me, Demo covers BOTH when the perk is in the right hands. I have met numerous players who are already Level 6 Demo's and literally OWN the server. Pipe bombs are the new tanks, they are the last resort defense line against Scrake/FP's when the going gets tough and people need to back up and reload. Pipe bombs also take over crowd control/sweeping, but even without that the M79 and whatever that other launcher is dominates Level 6 Firebug's flamethrower because we depend on detoriation of initial damage towards the final rather than instant damage of a grenade launcher. Of course, you can always get that one player who will provide smoke screen for the ZEDs by launching a grenade at one crawler in mid-air for that freaking achievement.

"HURR CRAWLER BETTER FIRE MY M79 AT POINT BLANK"

TL;DR, Demo achieve a lot, but it achieves so much that it makes Berserker and Firebug worthless due to it's capability. Hell, this is all from my personal experience, but I'm sure those who play on Hard/Suicidal or FF servers that they can see the destruction of the Demo in the right hand(s).

Upvote 0
But despite being totally FF-unable, the demo weapons are some of the most fun ones to use even though most of the time I'm not even a demo when using them.
Imo demo should get a slightly upped movespeed because getting some room between himself and his enemies or getting the hell away from his own pipebombs (!) is essential for that perk.
Even more so than the explosives resistance I'd say.

And yes, demomen are the sharpshoorers bane AND IT'S OK because he's *!#+" overpowered anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
an m79 has a base damage of 350, and at with a demo perk of level 5, you get 50% more explosives damage, which brings your total damage output to around what, 525? If level 6 is 60% damage (not sure, i'm only a level 2), it's about 560.

The fleshpound has a base health of 1500. On beginner, all zeds have only 50% of their health, bringing the fp down to 750. I assume you are alone, because the fleshpound gains 375 hp per player.

It is only possibly to 2 shot a fleshpound on a single player beginner game, since a normal game would bring the fp's total hp to 1500, and at a level 6 demo, you're max damage for 2 m79 grenades is 1120.

You lose. Good day, sir.

all hail mathematics

all hail mathematics

Upvote 0

Did you notice this part? Just making sure.

"Flesh Pound: A zombie with heavy metallic arms, that takes half damage from bullets, double damage from frag grenades and pipebombs, and increased damage from the M79 grenade launcher."

Upvote 0
Did you notice this part? Just making sure.

"Flesh Pound: A zombie with heavy metallic arms, that takes half damage from bullets, double damage from frag grenades and pipebombs, and increased damage from the M79 grenade launcher."

Nope, didn't notice it, so that would make the math off, but still, if an M79 can't take out a Bloat in two hits, it sure as hell can't take down a Fleshpound in two hits.

EDIT: Took a look in some of the coding or whatever, was luck that I found the right one:

// A little extra damage from the grenade launchers, they are HE not shrapnel,
// and its shrapnel that REALLY hurts he FP ;)
else if( DamageType == class 'DamTypeM79Grenade' || DamageType == class 'DamTypeM32Grenade' )
{
Damage *= 1.25;

So yes, Grenade Launcher shots do 25% more damage, or so I think. I'm done doing math for tonight, got plenty of studying for a World Civ class, and I really should get back to that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find them annoying, especially in maps like doom 2 where the tactic is weld the door, plant about 20 pipes around the room, and fire at the door and it breaks, killing everything, with the pipes to kill Fps and scrakes.
Then thye just plant a bunch infront of the door, Don't know why that map is whitelisted.

IMO the m32 needs some tweaking, it's possible to take down 2 fleshpounds in 6 rounds (It was for me on about 4man hard) as a demo.
More cost like the AA12 would be nice.

//Firebug owns, it rips through hordes of most specimens easily if you hold down Mouse 1 like me :p

Upvote 0