• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mass Effect - PC soon to be owners

Well I'm really enjoying the soundtrack, storyline, imagery and references to other cool sci-fi. Nice open gameplay too
(although I hear wandering off to do small side quests is rather pointless - it is great freedom)
And whilst I was initially baffled by the sheer volume of conversation I really do enjoy just watching and listening, even at 800x600.

It's like KotoR but with a lot more planets. And words.

Having said all of that, I would have refused to purchase the game if I'd have known about the DRM nightmare that I'm going to have if I want to install the game more than 3 times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I'm really enjoying the soundtrack, storyline, imagery and references to other cool sci-fi. Nice open gameplay too
(although I hear wandering off to do small side quests is rather pointless - it is great freedom)
And whilst I was initially baffled by the sheer volume of conversation I really do enjoy just watching and listening, even at 800x600.

It's like KotoR but with a lot more planets. And words.

Having said all of that, I would have refused to purchase the game if I'd have known about the DRM nightmare that I'm going to have if I want to install the game more than 3 times.

No no no, you can install it more than three times but you can only install it onto three different computers. And I suppose uninstalling frees an activation.

And yes, the story and the way it's told kicks every other game out there in ze arse.

Upvote 0
And I suppose uninstalling frees an activation.

Sadly, you suppose incorrectly. People are not getting their activations back with uninstalling. They're having to ring EA tech support to get them back.

And yeah, 3 installs on 3 computers. But I'm not the kind of person to uninstall something unless I'm rebuilding or changing hardware.

Upvote 0
Getting more and more frustrated with Bioware and support for MEPC in general.
Cries for a patch have been greeted with "when it's done".

There are literally hundreds of users on the forum who can't even start the game (not to mention the heavy volume of crashes and general bugs flying around) and all they can say is "when it's done". Unacceptable imho. At least get some critical issues out of the way with a hotfix or some ****.

Upvote 0
Hmm, hopefully that isn't true. Fixing the game should be number one priority.

Its the gamers first priority, but not allways the company's, there's no shortage of multi-platform games that have been released buggy as hell on the PC and has never seen a single patch, or just one patch that didn't fix all the problems, it happens quite often.

But also, its more lucrative for a company to put their staff to work on the next projekt than to churn out patches, so patches are often made by a skeleton crew, and development is really no faster than what a small mod team could do, and more so on multiplatform titles, because they have often made a profit allready on the Console releases, so the PC release is just the iceing on the cake for them, and they wont bother putting a whole lot of manpower to work on post release support for that, why spend the money on us dirty pirates, right? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Its the gamers first priority, but not allways the company's, there's no shortage of multi-platform games that have been released buggy as hell on the PC and has never seen a single patch, or just one patch that didn't fix all the problems, it happens quite often.

But also, its more lucrative for a company to put their staff to work on the next projekt than to churn out patches, so patches are often made by a skeleton crew, and development is really no faster than what a small mod team could do, and more so on multiplatform titles, because they have often made a profit allready on the Console releases, so the PC release is just the iceing on the cake for them, and they wont bother putting a whole lot of manpower to work on post release support for that, why spend the money on us dirty pirates, right? :rolleyes:
Do you have the game for PC?

Upvote 0
Do you have the game for PC?

Nope, and not getting it unless they remove that SecuROM rubbish in a patch, or release it over Steam without it, or rather, that has been my stance the whole time, now that i hear about all thease problems people have, i'd also not get it unless thouse issues get fixed, it sounds like a pain in the arse..

But what does that have to do with anything? i was talking about the industry in general in the post you quoted, not M.E. in particular.

Upvote 0
Nope, and not getting it unless they remove that SecuROM rubbish in a patch, or release it over Steam without it, or rather, that has been my stance the whole time, now that i hear about all thease problems people have, i'd also not get it unless thouse issues get fixed, it sounds like a pain in the arse..

But what does that have to do with anything? i was talking about the industry in general in the post you quoted, not M.E. in particular.
I had problems too, my game crashed at about every third loading screen.

SO

Did I complain? A bit, yes. But in the end I just deactived 2 cores of my Quadcore CPU and it hardly crashed anymore and I was able to finish the game. So instead of complaining all the time(of course I can understand it though, a patch is definitely needed) people should either stop playing it till there is a patch(the patch isnt going to get released faster by people moaning) or actually look for a solution.

And it's not only multi-platform titles that can be buggy sometimes. People still thinking multi-platform titles are the personified evil imo are nothing but fools. Multi-Platform titles are the future, and in cases like Mass Effect or Assassins Creed it's not so bad because we might get the games later but with additional content. And again it's not true that all(and not most either) multiplatform titles run bad, just look at GRID, it runs PERFECT.

And please don't start this pirating discussion, because on one side it sure is the pirates fault that a game doesn't sell as good, on the other hand there are often other reasons too.

Upvote 0
But in the end I just deactived 2 cores of my Quadcore CPU and it hardly crashed anymore and I was able to finish the game. So instead of complaining all the time(of course I can understand it though, a patch is definitely needed) people should either stop playing it till there is a patch(the patch isnt going to get released faster by people moaning) or actually look for a solution.

I lowered my detail settings (as recommended by a user on the forum - and yes I've finished the game) to get it more stable, but you can't argue that it is acceptable surely.
QA must have picked up on at least a few issues after the game went gold, hell they should have picked up dozens before it went gold...so they've had over a month to prepare a patch already.
Quite simply it's not good enough for a major studio (and even more major publisher) to release a product in such poor condition and not even be able to provide an ETA for a patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I lowered my detail settings (as recommended by a user on the forum - and yes I've finished the game) to get it more stable, but you can't argue that it is acceptable surely.
QA must have picked up on at least a few issues after the game went gold, hell they should have picked up dozens before it went gold...so they've had over a month to prepare a patch already.
Quite simply it's not good enough for a major studio (and even more major publisher) to release a product in such poor condition and not even be able to provide an ETA for a patch.
Well they wanted to release the patch together with that Add-On or Content Pack or whatever it was, but now they delayed that so hopefully they'll release a fix instead, faster.

Upvote 0
I had problems too, my game crashed at about every third loading screen.

SO

Did I complain? A bit, yes. But in the end I just deactived 2 cores of my Quadcore CPU and it hardly crashed anymore and I was able to finish the game. So instead of complaining all the time(of course I can understand it though, a patch is definitely needed) people should either stop playing it till there is a patch(the patch isnt going to get released faster by people moaning) or actually look for a solution.

If you fork over 60 bux for a product, and it does not work as intended, you have every right to complain, till such time that the vendor either gives you a refund or fixes the produkt, that's how it works.

Sadly though, they way the gaming market is set up, you can't just return a game to the store and get your money back if it doesen't work, nor does the average customer have the technical knowhow to make fixes for himself, so all he has left is complaining.

The blame lies squarely on the developers here, if they had not released the game in a buggy state, there would be no complaining to begin with, also, they could at any time make the complaints go away, all people really want is assurance that the bugs WILL be fixed in a timely manner, if they would just come out and promis that, people would shut up about it, but they wont do that, instead its "we'll look into that" and "we'll see" and "if there is time" and the like, non-answers that doesen't put anyone at ease at all.

Its fair enough that you get tired of hearing complaints, but pin the tail on the right donkey here, if the developers had not screwed up, and subsequently refuse to answer to any of peoples worries, then there would be no complaining, they are the source, not Joe Schmoe who just wasted allmost a 3'rd of his paycheck on a produkt that does not work, and he's not even sure if it ever will because nobody will give him a straight answer.. what the hell is he supposed to do? just sit there quietly and hope that if he's lucky he did not waste his money? thats not reasonable, he should not have to do that, and in no other market are people forced to do that.

And it's not only multi-platform titles that can be buggy sometimes. People still thinking multi-platform titles are the personified evil imo are nothing but fools. Multi-Platform titles are the future, and in cases like Mass Effect or Assassins Creed it's not so bad because we might get the games later but with additional content. And again it's not true that all(and not most either) multiplatform titles run bad, just look at GRID, it runs PERFECT.

I have never said this was a problem only associated with multi-platform titles, obviously it is not, i'm just pointing out that i see a disturbing trend in them not getting the post release support they need, as i definately see such a trend.
Time must be put into porting a title between different platforms, that is a given, and any company still needs to move on to the next title, tomorrows paycheck, and that often seems to mean there is not much time or manpower allocated to post release support for thease titles.

And yes, i am painfully aware that multi-platform is "the future", ofcourse it is, this way companies can sell the same game 3 or even 4 times instead of one, ofcourse they want that.. but that does not mean i have to like it, and i don't, because my personal experiance is that it degrades the gameplay aspects of games that i care about.

And please don't start this pirating discussion, because on one side it sure is the pirates fault that a game doesn't sell as good, on the other hand there are often other reasons too.

It becomes a pretty important topic when developers start using "anti-piracy" schemes that negatively affects the paying customers, but has zero impact on piracy.. how much idiocy should we tollerate in the products we buy, how much BS do you want with your order of fries?

If i was so inclined, i have no doubt i could jump on some torrent site right now and download Mass Effect, because junk like SecuROM does not work and it has been cracked before, it does not deterr pirates, so was it really worth it? all the lost sales from people like me who are boycutting it (there's lots of us i might add)? and setting stupid limites for paying customers like limited activations? and for what.. the game will still be pirated!

Systems like this are punishing the innocent and rewarding the guildty, the pirates are the only winners here.

Upvote 0